Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So last week, I tracked my 981 CS for the second time at the YAS Marina F1 circuit, in Abu Dhabi. The event was organized by the Porsche Club UAE. Depending of your level (I have reached level 2 out of 4), you may be required to follow a lead car (which was my case). Although this may look a little bit annoying, this formula allows you to get familiar with the track, and also to improve the driving skills as you try to follow the same trajectory as the car in front of you. In my case, the lead car was a GT3 driven by a guy who was really impressive.

I am slightly disapointed by the video itself as what you will see on it corresponds to my first session (out of 2) which was much slower than the second one. The second run was much faster, hence more impressive. I also need to improve the shooting from the interior of the car. Actually, I ran out of battery with my GoPro. I need to buy at least a spare battery for the next time.

During my second run, I had some difficulties to follow the 3 other cars in my group, which were much more powerful than mine (911 turbo S, 911 GT3 and 911 S). This was really noticeable out of the corners. But definitely, I had a blast.

Can't wait my next session, scheduled mid-May.

·
Registered
947 Posts
So last week, I tracked my 981 CS for the second time at the YAS Marina F1 circuit, in Abu Dhabi. The event was organized by the Porsche Club UAE. Depending of your level (I have reached level 2 out of 4), you may be required to follow a lead car (which was my case). Although this may look a little bit annoying, this formula allows you to get familiar with the track, and also to improve the driving skills as you try to follow the same trajectory as the car in front of you. In my case, the lead car was a GT3 driven by a guy who was really impressive.

I am slightly disapointed by the video itself as what you will see on it corresponds to my first session (out of 2) which was much slower than the second one. The second run was much faster, hence more impressive. I also need to improve the shooting from the interior of the car. Actually, I ran out of battery with my GoPro. I need to buy at least a spare battery for the next time.

During my second run, I had some difficulties to follow the 3 other cars in my group, which were much more powerful than mine (911 turbo S, 911 GT3 and 911 S). This was really noticeable out of the corners. But definitely, I had a blast.

Can't wait my next session, scheduled mid-May.
Very nice!

I enjoyed it thoroughly. Are you open to suggestions?...I think you should find a better track, perhaps one which is better maintained, or as we say in US - a little classier! NOT! -WOW, that YASMARINA circuit is beyond awesome. You have my commitment right now - I WILL DRIVE THERE ONE DAY.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Oh, and a couple of real suggestions...

"LUKE, TRUST IN THE P FORCE, let PDK shift in auto" - it will help you stop (engine brake) much quicker so you don't have to lift off the throttle so soon (at all). I should hear - WOT, and then full braking as the PDK keeps banging down through the gears until turn in.

The Cayman can turn in harder than those super fast cars, so.....wait later and turn in harder.

The Cayman is slower on acceleration, so..... accelerate sooner in the mid turn. Please don't floor it, but get on earlier and earlier - you will be amazed as how you will reduce your gap on these faster cars in the middle of the turn. Speaking of turns, the faster cars are more up and down (faster than slower) than you. In a Cayman, 'BE STEADY, MY SON - SLOWER ON THE STRAIGHTS MEANS YOU CARRY MORE SPEEDS INTO THE TURN"

Rear engine cars are faster out of the turn so nothing you can do about it except be more precise by hitting your apex perfectly every time (don't leave even a foot of unused road), and make sure you are on the throttle and use throttle inputs to keep you on the track as you are coming out of the turn. TRUST ME LUKE, YOU WILL NOT SPIN OUT, THE MID ENGINE P FORCE IS WITH YOU, TURN HARD TO THE APEX, GO NOW, TURN MY SON".

All the above easier said than done, but with practice and trust in the car you will get there. Great video, thanks for posting.

·
Premium Member
1,257 Posts
I think doing a lead/follow for people not familiar with a track is a great idea. I've been to DE's where it's routine if someone's never been there before. It's the same protocol as at the Porsche Sport Driving School. You get to see how someone who knows the line does it.

Beautiful track.

John

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
you need a cord long enough from the arm rest .. to your go pro..and a usb adapter.. and you can shoot video all day long..

Lemon
You are right Lemon. And it's probably cheaper than buying an additional battery...

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh, and a couple of real suggestions...

"LUKE, TRUST IN THE P FORCE, let PDK shift in auto" - it will help you stop (engine brake) much quicker so you don't have to lift off the throttle so soon (at all). I should hear - WOT, and then full braking as the PDK keeps banging down through the gears until turn in.

The Cayman can turn in harder than those super fast cars, so.....wait later and turn in harder.

The Cayman is slower on acceleration, so..... accelerate sooner in the mid turn. Please don't floor it, but get on earlier and earlier - you will be amazed as how you will reduce your gap on these faster cars in the middle of the turn. Speaking of turns, the faster cars are more up and down (faster than slower) than you. In a Cayman, 'BE STEADY, MY SON - SLOWER ON THE STRAIGHTS MEANS YOU CARRY MORE SPEEDS INTO THE TURN"

Rear engine cars are faster out of the turn so nothing you can do about it except be more precise by hitting your apex perfectly every time (don't leave even a foot of unused road), and make sure you are on the throttle and use throttle inputs to keep you on the track as you are coming out of the turn. TRUST ME LUKE, YOU WILL NOT SPIN OUT, THE MID ENGINE P FORCE IS WITH YOU, TURN HARD TO THE APEX, GO NOW, TURN MY SON".

All the above easier said than done, but with practice and trust in the car you will get there. Great video, thanks for posting.
Thanks matttheboatman for those useful tips. One of the guys with his GT3 also recommended me to leave the PDK in auto (in Sport Plus mode), for the same reasons you mentioned. So yeah, I definitely think you're right. I will test this option during my next track event scheduled in 2 month time.

·
Vendor
6,493 Posts
Some people are just lucky to live in the right place...

Reactions: 293866

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,088 Posts
Some people are just lucky to live in the right place...
I've been there 30 times. Go in the summer and tell me what you think. lol

·
Vendor
6,493 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
So last week, I tracked my 981 CS for the second time at the YAS Marina F1 circuit, in Abu Dhabi.
That is a seriously long track! I go to Dubai on business, I had planned on driving to Ferrari World on the way toward Abu Dhabi, but now I'm thinking it would be more fun to try to rent a car and drive on track!

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That is a seriously long track! I go to Dubai on business, I had planned on driving to Ferrari World on the way toward Abu Dhabi, but now I'm thinking it would be more fun to try to rent a car and drive on track!
Indeed, it's quite a long track: the full F1 GP configuration (which was my case) is 5.55km (approx 3.44mi). I have been told this track has the longest straight line of the F1 season. Unfortunately (or fortunately?), the organizers install a chicane during the event...

Let me know next time you're in the UAE, we could try to catch up ��

·
Registered
499 Posts
looks awesome! it also looks like you were driving very smoothly which is key for building a good foundation! keep it up and you'll keep going faster and faster :)

Reactions: 293866

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
looks awesome! it also looks like you were driving very smoothly which is key for building a good foundation! keep it up and you'll keep going faster and faster :)
Thanks Payne!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
looks like a fun, modern track with wide areas and enough space for overtaking.
Happy to see porsches running on the track and owners enjoying them.

The exhaust seems to burble quite a bit, almost everytime you lift the throttle - is it normal for a 981 w PSE?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The exhaust seems to burble quite a bit, almost everytime you lift the throttle - is it normal for a 981 w PSE?[/QUOTE]

Well, this has always been the case on my car since I took delivery. Especially in Sport Plus mode. I agree with you, it sometimes gives me a feeling of "too much". Though I really love PSE. A great option, IMHO.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 18 of 18 Posts