Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2012 Cayman R has left for Jake Raby's garage to begin the conversion to a 4.2 Liter monster. I am pretty excited to see what I get back and the wait will kill me. I will keep you updated with any photos they take at the shop and progress with the build in general. I am planning to stick with the stock brakes and suspension. I think this should be more than fine for any street or DE's the car may see.

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Can you tell us more about how you came to doing this? Why 4.2? Are there similar conversions out there?

We're all green with envy (not peridot, I'm still meteor grey). :hilarious:

John

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the likes and replies. The car is a 6 speed manual. Jake said that was way better for this conversion as there is a torque limiter built in to the engine software to protect the PDK which if I recall was destroyed in the Cayman X they built with the first 4.2 conversion.
The motor is out of the car and the block should be at LNengineering for the boring out and cylinder sleeve fitting. The crank was machined over the winter. I guess I will see the car back in August maybe? We'll see. If I change brakes I will probably go with Cup car calipers. I already have the GT3 front and Turbo back scoops installed.
The car has the PSE from the factory. Not sure how it will sound with the extra volume running through it-Jake thinks it will work fine.
Will get some photos soon I hope.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Are you having his new Oil Cooler installed?
There wasn't a problem with my IPD plenum and catless headers.
It was mentioned to me that Jake had mounted an oil cooler in a third radiator bracket. Not sure if this will be necessary. It does get hot in Oklahoma.
So you are running headers and the PSE?

·
Boxster Enthusiast
1,729 Posts
It was mentioned to me that Jake had mounted an oil cooler in a third radiator bracket. Not sure if this will be necessary. It does get hot in Oklahoma.
So you are running headers and the PSE?
Yes, he developed an oil cooler which mounts to the 3rd radiator slot up front and runs lines to where the oil filter connects. He's making me a good deal on it, I just can't find someone to install it for a fixed rate. He'll tell you alot of the engines blow due to the reduced oil viscosity at high engine temperatures. We have DEs here where it's 100 deg. I want to safeguard my expensive investment. :)

I de-catted my OEM headers and have a stock exhaust.

The main thing Jake hates is Flashed ECUs. :hilarious:

That 4.2L in the R is going to destroy GT3s on the track. The best part is the engine looks stock. I'm jealous.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Congrats on the 4.2L build. What does Jake anticipate HP/TQ numbers will be?? No doubt it'll be very fast.

DMN987S - I've also followed your saga as you re-built to a 3.6L motor at Flat-6 Innovations. I've read a great deal of Jake's thinking on oil overheating, getting too thin, and causing bearing failures. It sounds like you've also had many conversations with Jake on the topic. That said, do you have a sense for what Jake feels is "too hot" for oil temps in these motors??

·
Cayman The Destroyer!
2,574 Posts
Doc, all Cayman DME's have a torque limiter. This usually isn't an issue with most mods as they just shift the maximum torque to a higher RPM or show very modest increases. At least on gen 1 engine swaps the torque limiter was an issue until tuners figured a way to increase the max allowed. On my car its set at 250%.

I'm going the 996 cup brakes on my car. Will give feedback as soon as I get it on track.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update

The car has been run on the dyno pre motor work. Jake said it made less power than other 987.2's he has tested. Oddly enough it made 4 less HP with the PSE valve open???? Might be the fact that it is a low milage motor and not fully broken in.
Motor is out and being diassembled.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Is that a custom made crankshaft? Do you know what the stroke is? Will there be any modifications to Cylinder heads or cams?
Yes it is a custom billet cro mo crank. It is build to race spec with special oiling passages-I really don't know all the specifics. Not sure the stroke increase-it is the same as a 3.8 stock motor. The rest of the displacement increase is the bore increase and liners.
The heads will get some custom porting work. I think the cam system stays stock.
I will be excited to see the final before and after dyno work. Will definitely share with the board.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Saildoc -- Jake has been posting many pics on facebook of a Cayman R motor being torn down and bored to 4.2L...is this yours??

What's interesting is that he observed substantial cylinder bore scoring after only 4,400mi. He suspects this was due to the oil being aerated because of an O-ring that was left out of a tube assembly from the factory. His theory is that the missing O-ring caused the oil to foam and not be able to protect the cylinder bores, where the oil film layer is most critical.

Sounds like it's a good thing you (or whoever the owner of the motor in questoin is) are getting this motor rebuilt! :beer:

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The motor was a mess at tear down. Porsche failed to install a critical O ring seal preventing the air oil separator from doing its job. Significant accelerated wear was discovered, basically my motor was a time bomb waiting to self destruct. I suspect there are others out there that missing the same O ring.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts