Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Good read. Thanks for sharing.

I wonder if you have opted for the rear wipers in your Turbo? If it was me, I think I would have spent the additional cost on some other cosmetic option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
13,989 Posts
That's the story of the rear wiper to be more specific:
The Unlikely Story of How Porsche DNA Probably Ended Up On Your Car | Petrolicious

I don't see people opting for it nowadays, though.
That's because its not needed. The aero has changed. At any kind of speed, the water just disappears. Put some RainX on the rear window and the water rolls off. Times change, technology changes. It's not just that some people don't like it cosmetically but rather its just not needed. The other day I was on the highway moving down the road in a monsoon rain and the rear window was fine. Now SUVs - totally different.

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Premium Member
5,836 Posts
The rear wiper is useless on the average car today. Vans and SUVs are a different story.

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
The rear wiper is useless on the average car today. Vans and SUVs are a different story.
I guess it's van shaped... but I used the one on my Mazdaspeed3 all the time. It was useful.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
"Needed"? No. "Useless," also no. When getting started, a quick swipe, particularly at night in the rain, makes for safer (and arguably more comfortable) use of the rear view mirror. No regrets having ordered this inexpensive option. I use it infrequently, but when I do it always puts a smile on my face. (Perhaps it's far more useful here in Puddletown [Portland OR] than in many other places, so maybe location should be factored into any consideration about ordering the rear wiper or not.

And . . . as the article says, the option of a rear wiper is part of Porsche culture.

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
Loved the reminder about the 914: rear window is tucked under the targa bar so it never even gets wet!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts