Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
I'm a big fan of performance wagons, estates or shooting brakes, depending on where you come from.

I've had a Volvo 245ti with tons of go-fast IPD goodies, a Volvo 855R, (again, boosted beyond reason) and a current XC70, brought up V70R specs.

I'd really dig a Panamera wagon. I'll never get an SUV, but AWD 300+ HP sportwagons are great fun and utility.

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
I'm also a big fan of performance "wagons"...never understood why Audi didn't bring the RS4 Avant to North America. A Panny wagon will be interesting.

·
Incurable Gearhead
900 Posts
They sure are getting a lotta mileage out of the whole shooting brake concept. For years we've been seeing it. One has to wonder if it'll ever appear in showrooms. Sure hope so. Beyond being far more useful than the sedan, it's the only Panny that doesn't hurt my eyes. I love it.

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,105 Posts
I am a big fan of it because it will provide funding to develop and field fantastic sports cars in the future. I would never buy a station wagon myself.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I'm a big fan of performance wagons, estates or shooting brakes, depending on where you come from.

I've had a Volvo 245ti with tons of go-fast IPD goodies, a Volvo 855R, (again, boosted beyond reason) and a current XC70, brought up V70R specs.

I'd really dig a Panamera wagon. I'll never get an SUV, but AWD 300+ HP sportwagons are great fun and utility.
1998 V70 T5M 300whp. :D I'm assuming you were on Volvospeed?

·
Premium Member
833 Posts
Yes, a low, fast Porsche sport wagon with AWD and manual transmission would make an ideal winter beater/utility car for those of us in the north country. It would be a fun car to drive.

Unlike the Cayenne. Drove a Cayenne S as a loaner a couple of months ago. One of the worst cars I have driven when $ to fun ratio taken into account. Big, quiet and PDK. No fun. Fast enough, but not fun.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So Porsche has once again correctly determined the demand/popularity for a station wagon, at least based on the responses so far.

And now I have to ask: why turn a draught horse (station wagons in general, not the Panamera in particular) into a race horse?

If a station wagon is loaded, driving it like a sports car seems unwise. If no load is to be hauled, why not drive a sports car?

And in the interest of disclosure, I have a minivan (Gasp! Shock!) that I use as the draught horse that it is. Moreover, I appreciate the practicality of my Cayman.

·
Premium Member
833 Posts
So Porsche has once again correctly determined the demand/popularity for a station wagon, at least based on the responses so far.
And now I have to ask: why turn a draught horse (station wagons in general, not the Panamera in particular) into a race horse?
If a station wagon is loaded, driving it like a sports car seems unwise. If no load is to be hauled, why not drive a sports car?
And in the interest of disclosure, I have a minivan (Gasp! Shock!) that I use as the draught horse that it is. Moreover, I appreciate the practicality of my Cayman.
First of all, a few enthusiast responses doesn't indicate widespread demand. Vast percentage of american population are satisfied with SUV/minivan/pickup track as utility car.

Why can't a car that can carry more than two people and oversize objects be fun to drive? My family of 4 likes to ski/snowboard. Why can't we have a vehicle that is fun and sporty but still safe on snowy mountain roads? Or fit an occasional oversized item (and I'm not talking about hauling crushed stone)? Most of the time utility vehicles are part of a multi vehicle household, and will be used without hauling multiple passengers or stuff, so why can't it be engaging to drive then? I don't want to drive a boring car. A sporting wagon can be fun.

For ME: Fun means manual transmission, good handling, quick enough, looks good, and center of gravity not raised. Utility means AWD and some decent space, not huge and heavy. We had a 2008 BMW 3 series wagon, not bad, but unfortunately started to self destruct at 80K miles. Updated model in US only comes in automatic, driver is isolated from road. Not fun.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
First of all, a few enthusiast responses doesn't indicate widespread demand. Vast percentage of american population are satisfied with SUV/minivan/pickup track as utility car.

Why can't a car that can carry more than two people and oversize objects be fun to drive? My family of 4 likes to ski/snowboard. Why can't we have a vehicle that is fun and sporty but still safe on snowy mountain roads? Or fit an occasional oversized item (and I'm not talking about hauling crushed stone)? Most of the time utility vehicles are part of a multi vehicle household, and will be used without hauling multiple passengers or stuff, so why can't it be engaging to drive then? I don't want to drive a boring car. A sporting wagon can be fun.

For ME: Fun means manual transmission, good handling, quick enough, looks good, and center of gravity not raised. Utility means AWD and some decent space, not huge and heavy. We had a 2008 BMW 3 series wagon, not bad, but unfortunately started to self destruct at 80K miles. Updated model in US only comes in automatic, driver is isolated from road. Not fun.
I get your points. But if you are loaded up with 4 plus gear to go skiing/snowboarding, how fun and sporty would you/can you push a vehicle on snowy mountain roads?
Maybe I'm chicken, or conservative, because my family of 4 goes skiing and I would rather the driving be boring while having fun or conversation with people in the car. All the eggs in one basket on snowy mountain roads is not where I like to push limits.

Btw, I'm not always conservative: my sense of ultimate fun is me alone in a good MT car on curvy mountain roads with medium rain, thunder and lightning, preferably at night.

·
Premium Member
833 Posts
I get your points. But if you are loaded up with 4 plus gear to go skiing/snowboarding, how fun and sporty would you/can you push a vehicle on snowy mountain roads?
Maybe I'm chicken, or conservative, because my family of 4 goes skiing and I would rather the driving be boring while having fun or conversation with people in the car. All the eggs in one basket on snowy mountain roads is not where I like to push limits. (Btw, I'm not always conservative: my sense of ultimate fun is me alone in a good car on curvy mountain roads with medium rain, thunder and lightning, preferably at night.)
I just mean practical, utility cars could be built so they are fun day to day (say, wife commuting alone to work), while still performing adequately on the occasional days where they serve as haulers or do snow duty. Sport wagons have the potential do do both.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just mean practical, utility cars could be built so they are fun day to day (say, wife commuting alone to work), while still performing adequately on the occasional days where they serve as haulers or do snow duty. Sport wagons have the potential do do both.
I get your point (a second car that's utility and fun AND day to day driving). And I suspect that's why the Cayenne and Macan sell so well. People also perceive them to have utility or other attributes over a station wagon or minivan.

The station wagon or minivan is where I see things differently because the former has arguably less utility than an SUV and the second has arguably more utility. Which brings things back to how juiced up SUVs have been so popular over both these options.

Then again, I might be biased because I have minivan (Shock! Gasp!). ;)

·
Registered
457 Posts
Drove a Cayenne S as a loaner a couple of months ago. One of the worst cars I have driven when $ to fun ratio taken into account. Big, quiet and PDK. No fun. Fast enough, but not fun.
There is no PDK available with the Cayenne. What your loaner had was the Tiptronic - S automatic transmission and not a PDK dual clutch transmission.

·
Premium Member
833 Posts
There is no PDK available with the Cayenne. What your loaner had was the Tiptronic - S automatic transmission and not a PDK dual clutch transmission.
On that I stand corrected, thanks (apparently tiptronic is better for off roading and towing). But I don't think PDK vs tip would have made a whit of difference with the fun factor, it cannot negate the ride hight, size and mass (nearly 5000 lbs !!)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts