Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi fellow car people!

I'm hoping to add some brainpower to my current situation. Had an 08 328i sedan that I raced with BMW, Porsche, SCCA and was my daily driver. This year the plan was to keep as my daily driver and add an 06-08 Cayman S for the autox/track car. Last fall I adopted a retired Greyhound. Last weekend we were t-boned in the BMW and we're fine but it's totaled.

SO. In my head, two potential options:
Another daily driver, add used cayman s in a bit...
A used 911 with a dog harness and use the folded down rear seats?

Pooch is 65-70 pounds and there doesn't seem to be consensus among other large dog owners about big vs. smaller cars - more the safety features and where the dog is. Dog safe is the priority. And I'm jonesing to race again. Big time.

Adding to the story problem? I really only dig/trust German engineering. Porsche/BMW, and my budget should stay around 35k, for one or the two cars total.

Any thoughts from other med-big dog owners who also feel the need for speed? And shifting, and cornering, and squealing tires?

Thank you in advance!

·
Premium Member
1,344 Posts
One approach would be 2006 325 for $5-6k DD and 2008-10 Boxster/Cayman $15-25k. This would be my first choice. That would leave you some money for track prods and upgrades.
Second would be the same BMW and a 2006-08 911 for $27-30k. There are many of each on Cars.com. Of course that would leave next to nothing for prods & race stuff.
Lou Ann loved going anywhere with me in the car especially autocross or concours. Everybody loved Augie's doggie.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
OP, it seems like you reached same point as myself whrn I sold my E92 for Cayman. HOWEVER ... I still had DD on the side with both of them.

What I am saying is ... forget "one that does it all" and get 2 dedicated cars. My sugestion is to find 2005 or 2006 VW Jetta TDI (indistructible powertrain) from mild climate States (far from indistructible chassis/sheetmetal) and a dedicated and totally useless otherwise fun car. May I even try to temp you into looking for a good MX-5/Miata? It has been at least 50 years since Germans last made anything even remotely similar and entertaining. They frankly seem to be incapable or unwilling of making such a good car anymore ...

Good luck with everything.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
These are great responses, thank you! Very helpful...and made me realize that I think I was looking for an excuse to be impractical, but getting new DD nailed down first makes sense. And yes, I drove a Miata and a Boxster (very different beasts) before I ever knew you could race on weekends. Had an old Volvo as a dog car then. Oy, practicality. Cars and shoes should be exempt. Lou Ann is awesome, btw :))

·
Registered
262 Posts
The cayman came with he option for a luggage screen. This was a fold down metal and wire divider that fills the opening right behind the driver’s head. That leaves the trunk area and the package shelf over the engine for “luggage” without it sliding into the driver cockpit. I have the physical divider from a prior car (987.2). But this was left behind when I moved on from the car, that is to say, I didn’t look to see if there are needed clips, etc to make it work in other cars. There’s a good amount of space in the back of a 987 cayman, but I don’t know how well it would work for such a tall dog.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Guys -
Halfway there...found an 09 BMW X5, 85k miles, super-duper clean. So the new DD is a tank, but the pooch loves it and it will tow 6k lbs, i.e. the future Cayman S, if needed. (y)

·
Premium Member
1,344 Posts
Cool you went to 2009 BMW but upped to an X5
CS here you come

·
Premium Member
1,344 Posts
Cayman S

1 - 9 of 9 Posts