Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I am new here! i have an 09 black A5 3.2 Quattro, nice car. I am trading it this month and really debating between 2 options - A NEW S5 or a new Cayman S.

The S5 is fully loaded, all the options (full leather, 19inch, B&O etc). The Cayman has sport chrono, PDK, 18inch, leather and elcantara.

Wow, I can't decide. Each car has its pros and cons...

Anyone here in (or was) in a similar situation?

What do you think?

Thanks!

A

·
Registered
463 Posts
If you're already considering getting out of an '09 A5 you're obviously unhappy about it in some way. What could have possibly soured you on the car in such a short time? My friend with a Cayman S just leased an A5 for his DD. What's he not going to like?

·
Registered
262 Posts
you know with a fully loaded S5 you're looking at almost a thousand pounds more of weight with less than 40 more horses pulling that weight around, right? it'll probably be a nice evening cruiser and handle itself well enough on the road but won't be the sports car many of us here are looking for.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Get the damn Porsche already. You know you want it. We could spend all day extolling the virtues of why the Cayman S is such an excellent driver's car, and how it performs on the track and handles daily driver duties with equal grace. You might even be wondering if such a small two seater can be used all the time. Well, in this case the answer is yes, you can fit plenty of luggage or a weeks worth of groceries and beer in it. Hell, I can load mine with luggage, tools, my girlfriend's race gear, and my own race gear plus a tire.

But what it really comes down to you is you know you wanna drive that Porsche...

·
Registered
141 Posts
The cayman of course. Now, if you were considering the RS5, that may be different. I got out of my 335i cause it did not do it for me. Just to refined, more Gt then sport.etc..Got a IS-F Great car, lease almost up and now I am ready for the ultimate driving machine, no not that one(M3) but the 2011 Porsche Cayman S. Oh and hurry before VW screws it all up.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Yeah, I'm a little confused at to this cross shopping. Seems like two completely different cars here. Most people seem to more along the lines of choosing between another, similar two door sports car.
Exactly, I used to have a CLK55...which is much more similar to a S5
Apples to Apples would be an S5 versus E550 Coupe...Cayman is a definitely step up in all departments in my opinion.

ps Don't get me wrong though.... I think the S5 is a beautiful car but quite different than a
CS a friend of mine has one as a DD...but is a 4 seat GT car...I think I prefer it over the E coupe...an RS5 would be awesome

·
Registered
125 Posts
The Audi S5 is a nice car. However, if you drive the Porsche, I have a feeling you will buy the Porsche. I can honestly say, my Cayman is the best car I have ever driven...bar none. Yes, I can be beaten by a high-end Corvette, but if we go into the twisties....I see them in the rear-view mirror.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I had the same dilemma when I was picking out my CS.
Took a test drive and I knew it instantly that I didn't need all that gadgets or the extra 2 mini seats. I still like the S5, but I like the CS more.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you're already considering getting out of an '09 A5 you're obviously unhappy about it in some way. What could have possibly soured you on the car in such a short time? My friend with a Cayman S just leased an A5 for his DD. What's he not going to like?
well, it's simply a boring car. I am 35 yo and looking for something extra. not only good looks. it feels a bit weal on low speed, and does not have the spirit if you know what i mean

·
Hurricane Region PCA Historian
933 Posts
I spent the better part of six months researching every thing I could possibly find on the S5 after it was first announced several years ago (information was painfully slow in coming out). I even re-routed a taxi on a business trip to NYC to see one of the first S5's in the US when it arrived at the Madison Ave. showroom! I pretty much had the check book ready and was booking my flights to Germany for an ED pick-up trip when...

...I almost accidentally test drove a Cayman. And then right after that - silly me, I knew better - a Cayman S.

I still think the S5 is one of the best-looking cars on the road (the CS perhaps, excepting), but I can say I haven't regretted buying the Cayman for a second.

If you are looking for a great performing, great looking, every bell-and-whistle you could ever want GT car then I have no doubt you will be extremely happy with the S5. It's simply a great car and now with the addition of ADS and the Sport Differential (which was not available on the first models) can also be fantastic driving car. The sounds the V-8 makes are first rate, too.

If you want what is arguably one of the best all-around sports cars in the world today, and are OK with the fact it doesn't perhaps have all the creature comforts or practicality of a modern Audi (though the CS is suprisingly practical, in it's own way), then I think the Cayman will make you about as happy as you can be driving a car.

Drive them both, and decide which one is for you. In my opinion, you can't lose with either choice. Good luck!

·
I'm an excellent driver ....
1,628 Posts
I actually was trying to buy an S5 which only was a demo at Audi dealerships and nobody wanted to sell me one when I bought my Cayman. Both cars have their place. I currently also have an A5 2010 as a daily commuter. What you need only you can decide based on how you will use the car. the sound of the S5 with a Super Sprint exhasut is as close as you get to a Fezza without buying one. S5 more luxurious, once on the twisties ... game over.

Now that the RS5 is all but officially confirmed in the US for 2011 as a model year 2012 and most likely being one of the last NA V8s to be built I will get one to replace my A5 for daily duty. But the Cayman will remain the wicked fun car ... solely

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Again, S5 - GT, Cayman - sports car. S5 will carry 4 people and luggage, its quiet, supple, etc. Cayman S is none of that.

Drive them both.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Before I bought my '10 Box S, I test drove a 335I and Audi S5 (v8, loaded). the s5 had the tiptronic tranny which took away from the joy of driving and shifting my own gears. I wasn't sure that shifting my own gears on the s5 would have changed my overall impression of the car. it was a great car, but I was looking for a different experience. 2 days after the testdrive, I bought the boxster. they are 2 different cars though...one more of a well rounded sporty cruiser with AWD, the box/cay a true small sportscars. I have zero regrets.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.