Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
To take a Porsche through a car wash? I was talking to a friend at work about this and he looked at me like I was totally nuts.
Yes, in my mind.

3 kinds of high end car owners:
-Enthusiast that treat the car as good or better than wife/gf
-Enthusiast that use it as a track weapon
-Guy that buys it to show off (this guy usually doesn't pamper the car).

I guess I would be harder on my toys if I had the kind of money that would allow me to buy half a dozen cars a year and always changing them before it would matter.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Talked my GF in to helping to apply a spray wax so we could get it done to eat dinner. She drops the rag on the ground, picks it up, and gets ready to use it again. I had to tackle her before she used it again.

I cringe when going past car wash places and see the rags on the ground, getting dropped on cement, used for wheels and then the side of the car. When you have a black car you become extra careful when it comes to things that can damage and swirl the clear. Don't look black paint in the eye...or it will swirl.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I find one of the greatest satisfactions of owning this car is washing it. That's when I really appreciate the beauty of the lines and the craftsmanship. I really used to be a nut about the washing and waxing when I was younger and don't get quite the satisfaction of the wash/wax process I used to. But whenever I get the thought about selling it and getting something else a quick wash and dry will cure me of the urge. I see how perfect it is (condition) and tell myself I'd have to be nuts to give it up for something else. I think this one is a keeper.

·
Registered
91 Posts
It's certainly not ideal but, in my opinion, there are certain times when it's better than not washing at all. Like when it's 20 degrees outside and the car is covered with salt. Just make sure you find a hand-wash or brushless place and if you're really concerned, tell them not to dry the car...that's when most of the damage occurs.

No excuse for using a car wash when the water in the hose at home isn't frozen ;)....

·
Registered
20 Posts
Wow I am the abomination.... I drive the car every day regardless of weather. (this car was not bought the show off). I use brush less car washes. I have not hand caressed my car with wax yet.

I am starting to feel bad. I also expect to drive this car 25K miles per year.

ssmv650

·
Registered
91 Posts
No way are you the abomination!

I drive my Cayman every day from Westchester to NYC. 17K miles since I got it last April. Drove in the snow and rain and the car handled it all spectacularly. I took it through the brushless car wash a few times over the winter, but I really enjoy detailing it myself.

If you haven't caressed yours with wax yet, i highly recommend it (but use clay first) ;). But be careful....it's addictive.

Enjoy!

Reactions: drshorter

·
Registered
185 Posts
Agree with the comments on brushless car washes leaving heavy swirlmarks on black painted cars. They never rinse the wash mitts. I had a black LR3 that I inevitably spent more time all told by fixing the car washes abuse.

Plus, most use an insane wheel cleaner. Base Caymans with "grey" brake calipers are a sure indication of wheel cleaner. I had a WRX with brand-new StopTech 4-pot calipers that were "cleaned" grey after one trip through the brushless car wash. This was the first gen StopTech's, so the paint was shoddy; but it did illustrate why not to use wheel cleaner.

·
I'm an excellent driver ....
1,628 Posts
It's a car, it needs to be driven. When I have thew time I wash it myself, usually spring, fall and winter. I have no time during summer (boating season). It is better to go through a cra wash then leaving it dirty and waiting for someone to brush against it, that leaves worse marks. Buy a grey car, it will look scratch free for life unless you get REALLY close.

·
Enjoying the drive.
1,265 Posts
Taking it through a touchless car wash in the middle of winter isn't a bad thing.

·
Registered
911 Posts
I love to wash and detail my car but a "touchless" car wash right up the street does a great job fo $10. Swirls are impossible if nothing (or nobody) touches the car.

·
Registered
185 Posts
However, I have always wondered if they are using enough water pressure to "clean" the car, then the wax is being stripped off as well.

True Story: I took my wife's SUV off-road for work and got it filthy (mud, dirt, grass, cow poop). Took it to a "touchless" car wash in Carmel Valley, as I figured this was the best way to get the decomposed granite off of the black paint. As it was going through the wash, I peeked through the window too watch it go through, and saw three dudes with long-handled brushes scrubbing it. Think "The Scream".:eek:

Reactions: drshorter

·
Registered
394 Posts
Yeah, as they said the brushes can be dirty... My biggest concern though, would be the type that shoots high pressure water on the sides to wash the car (touchless car wash). That was not designed with a Cayman's side vents in mind ! no direct experience either way, but why risk it ?

Personally, I would not let anyone other than me have the pleasure of cleaning those curvy lines... Washing that car is very therapeutic !

·
Registered
130 Posts
I won't ever go to a full service car wash again.
I use to use the "touchless" wash.
After watching them drive my car around to enter the "touchless" wash... They were pre spraying it and two other guys were taking a broom brush to the front end and hood.
It didn't end well.
Thank god it wasn't my Cayman.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.