Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. First post here. Been searching for a cayman S for a few months now, and have narrowed it down to 2 cars. Both are 2007, and are 1 owner. Only seen option one in person.

Option 1:
$29k
30k miles
guards red on sand beige
18" wheels
heated seats
bose stereo
sport shifter
only has level 1 overrevs

Option 2:
$35k
40k miles
fully CPO'd from Porsche
19" wheels
PASM
bi-xenon
metallic blue on grey
only a few level 2 overrevs

I'm torn. I love both colors. Which would be the wiser choice? What would you pick? Is option 2 really worth that much more? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Option 1 looks like a good deal. Guards red over sand beige is a stunning color combo in my opinion (and it's what I have). Way less mileage, too!

Option 2 has the benefit of the CPO, but that's quite a price bump for the privilege. Save some of that $6K for future maintenance, or buy an extended warranty and still come out ahead.

Good luck, let us know which you choose!

·
Registered
357 Posts
I agree with racergreg. Considering the higher mileage, option 2 is quite a premium for the CPO. I prefer the sand beige interior, but again, it's a preference.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I'm a sucker for blue so would lean that way, but that's just a personal preference. 6k does seem like a big gap. How much CPO remains? Would you be buying from a Porsche dealer that CPOs it when you buy, or it's from a private seller with some CPO left? If it's CPO for you as a buyer that's worth a couple grand I would think. How do the brakes and tires on option 1 look? have all the services been done on time? Normal due diligence should be done-review service records, PPI, check carfax, etc. Best of luck.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys! I'm leaning towards the red car, although I'm thinking I'll be missing the xenons the most.

CPO car is from a porsche dealer. Has 2 yr/50k mile warranty from Porsche from the date of sale.

Red car is going in for PPI this week.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Option 1 has full service records, all at a porsche dealer with the porsche stamps (according to the maintenance log in the car). Owned by an older gentleman who unfortunately passed away. Tires look like they have a lot of tread left, and they're pilot sports. Brakes appear like they'll need changed soon, but I can take care of that. This car drives much smoother, quieter, and better than the other 4 I've test driven so far, and 2 of those were at Porsche dealers with more miles and much higher asking prices. Carfax is clean. It feels like it's been babied, aside from the common HVAC switch paint flaking.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Sounds like you found a good one. CPO is good for peace of mind, but with good records and a clean PPI Option 1 does seem a better deal. Brakes (pads, rotors) are an easy DIY. Excellence buyers guide shows 07 CS values of 30k to 36k.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I'd much prefer the 2nd option but it does seem a little high. In April it will be 2yrs since I purchased a 08CS with sport chrono package, CPO, 33K miles, 19" wheels, midnight blue over gray, and Bose for $36K. Of course mine doesn't have PASM or the Bi-xenon headlights but I still think that is a little high. I would try to do a little negotiating on that price.

·
Registered
146 Posts
.. okay so, the hard truth is ..

don't buy either, keep looking. I know that it's difficult but there are much better deals out there and it can be fun to search.
I recently purchased a 09CS 3.4L DFI with 27k miles for $36.5.
It has bi-xenon, sport seats, pasm, 19" classics, roof rack, sprint booster, and a great service history.

Once you decide on the type of car that you are targeting then select that options that you are NOT willing to part with. After that it all about the deal, everything else is flexible. There is the market value for the car, and then there are the seller's conditions. I passed up on a dozen cars that I was haggling for because the seller wasn't ready to do the deal.

If you like them, make an offer on BOTH of these cars for 4k under their asking and see who budges.

Enjoy the search, as climbing the stairs can be almost as fun as reaching the top.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
.. okay so, the hard truth is ..

don't buy either, keep looking. I know that it's difficult but there are much better deals out there and it can be fun to search.
I recently purchased a 09CS 3.4L DFI with 27k miles for $36.5.
It has bi-xenon, sport seats, pasm, 19" classics, roof rack, sprint booster, and a great service history.

Once you decide on the type of car that you are targeting then select that options that you are NOT willing to part with. After that it all about the deal, everything else is flexible. There is the market value for the car, and then there are the seller's conditions. I passed up on a dozen cars that I was haggling for because the seller wasn't ready to do the deal.

If you like them, make an offer on BOTH of these cars for 4k under their asking and see who budges.

Enjoy the search, as climbing the stairs can be almost as fun as reaching the top.
thanks for this. Wow, a 987.2s for under $40k?! Was that a private party sale?

the prices I was offered were after haggling. Option 1 came down about 3k, and 2 was only 1k. The Porsche salesmen I've been dealing with have "a lot of money" in their cars and no real room to budge. While that may be true, my response of "reputable sources x, y, and z tell me the car isn't worth as much, plus it's been for sale for 2+ months" doesn't do much to sway them. I might just wait and see what pops up later in the winter when sports cars are tougher to sell (at least that's what I've assumed).

·
Registered
146 Posts
.. the car that I eventually closed on was from a dealer BUT ..

the dealer (bmw of Bridgeport) took the car in as a trade in and the used car manager, who's responsibility it was to access and mark up the vehicle, was 'out' for several days because he broke his leg. The guy who was filling in for him thought that he was doing great by putting the car up for sale (at the trade in price 'doh'). I called immediately and while I was giving my credit card info to one salesman, another person was on the other line closing the deal with someone else. My salesman then had the sorry job of explaining to be that the car had just been sold while I was on the phone with him. I told him no worries but to get in touch if anything comes up. The next day I get a call to find out that the other guy's deal depends on some financing (which I don't need) and his deal looks shaky. He asks me if it falls through do I want the car. The next morning, I didn't wait to hear from him, and I HITCHHIKED to the Long Island Ferry and then took a cab to the Bridgeport BMW Dealer with a certified check and a very expensive bottle of wine. - I drove the car home an hour later.

So .. the point here, is .. did I get lucky, or was I ready and willing to search and be prepared to act when the opportunity was presented. I had three other cars in my sights when this one popped up.

Keep looking, don't get frustrated, enjoy the search .. knowing full well that you will have your car, but also you will get a good deal which makes the driving all the sweeter.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
.. the car that I eventually closed on was from a dealer BUT ..

the dealer (bmw of Bridgeport) took the car in as a trade in and the used car manager, who's responsibility it was to access and mark up the vehicle, was 'out' for several days because he broke his leg. The guy who was filling in for him thought that he was doing great by putting the car up for sale (at the trade in price 'doh'). I called immediately and while I was giving my credit card info to one salesman, another person was on the other line closing the deal with someone else. My salesman then had the sorry job of explaining to be that the car had just been sold while I was on the phone with him. I told him no worries but to get in touch if anything comes up. The next day I get a call to find out that the other guy's deal depends on some financing (which I don't need) and his deal looks shaky. He asks me if it falls through do I want the car. The next morning, I didn't wait to hear from him, and I HITCHHIKED to the Long Island Ferry and then took a cab to the Bridgeport BMW Dealer with a certified check and a very expensive bottle of wine. - I drove the car home an hour later.

So .. the point here, is .. did I get lucky, or was I ready and willing to search and be prepared to act when the opportunity was presented. I had three other cars in my sights when this one popped up.

Keep looking, don't get frustrated, enjoy the search .. knowing full well that you will have your car, but also you will get a good deal which makes the driving all the sweeter.
Wow what a deal! Not sure I'd be willing to wait for a salesperson to break a leg though. Every other month I visit family 600 miles away and I'm gettin tired of doing it in a jeep. I'll see how the inspection goes on the red one and go from there.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts