Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, so glad I found a decent Porsche forum before the purchase. I appreciate in advance reading this long post.

Basically, I've currently got a G35 so I've been going the comfy, cruiser route and really into the little gadgets and accessories.

I'm also a big guy. The length isn't an issue but shoulder breadth seems to be pretty cramped. I'm wondering if it's going to be a problem or if it's just something I need to get used to?

So I'm really having trouble making the final decision. Do I go with a more comfy, luxury style car like an Audi, Infiniti, Mercedes etc. or a fun sports car with some flash etc.

I just broke up with my girlfriend and Im 30 and depressed. Figured this might be a good boost too.

So anyway, I'm just nervous about a) size of inside b) losing nav system, heated seats, little things like that c) not being able to recline seat.

Also, I broke my back a few years ago and I still have a lot of pain. I take a lot of painkillers. I'm a little nervous the seats will hurt more than my current car although I don't think they will. It's just that I can't drive the car for a week and figure it out ya know?

I guess I'm just on this site looking for information, reassurances, reviews of their cars, and a push to go buy the sucker! :)

It's a 2007 Cayman S with 12k miles on it.

here's the car.

Porsche : Cayman:eBay Motors (item 110455008365 end time Nov-17-09 13:35:55 PST)

Any and all info, advice etc would be so appreciated! I may sign the papers in a few hours if I make the decision.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have an 06 CS 6 speed with nav and other goodies, the reason I'm giving you an opinion is I also have a slight handicap that also puts things into perspective possibly, I have an artificial leg on the clutch side. I must admit the leg usually does not make problems except when I have pain and discomfort while driving, in fact I have done some DE events and loved it very much. You will love the Cayman, it is truly a world class sports car and it handles like just about no other car on the road. I was very concerned when I was looking at the Cayman and the company I bought my car from handed me the keys one Saturday morning around 10:00 am as said bring it back before we leave at 6:00, that convinced me and I needed that time to help me make the decision about the car, clutch and the leg.

Having said that, I can tell you a portable GPS system is better than the built in unit, buy one and do not look back, plus you can use it in other cars as well, if it breaks, buy another one. The back problem you have and the shoulder width problem you are concerned about is the real deal for you in my opinion. I would suggest you ask the dealer to allow you to take the car out for a day and allow you to have as much seat time as possible to help you make a decision on this car. If you have to take medications for this pain problem then you really need to look at this carefully, a wonderful car is special but if you do not fit or the car makes you uncomfortable so you cannot enjoy it then you may not be a happy owner of a very special Cayman. If you feel cramped just driving around and this is your daily driver then you will deal with this often, stay in the car for 4-5 hours and see if you can live in the car for a 2-3 hundred miloe trip, that for sure will help you make a decision. Good luck...

·
Caymaniac
5,658 Posts
I'd get a 2007 SL550 for the same money and drive it by her house with a hooker in the passenger seat, but that's just me. That makes the right statement. I have upgraded. Yes, a hooker is a step up from you, biotch. LOL.

Seriously, though, it might be a more comfortable car. If you are not going to track the Cayman, you are paying for a level of performance that can't be used on the street. The SL asks, "Who's your Daddy?" in a way a Cayman doesn't. Women generally prefer to be wrapped in Benz.

Just trying to help a brother out. ;-)

Sorry to hear about the pain factor. An SL is a much more comfortable cruiser.

·
Premium Member
602 Posts
I'd get a 2007 SL550 for the same money and drive it by her house with a hooker in the passenger seat, but that's just me. That makes the right statement. I have upgraded. Yes, a hooker is a step up from you, biotch. LOL.

Seriously, though, it might be a more comfortable car. If you are not going to track the Cayman, you are paying for a level of performance that can't be used on the street. The SL asks, "Who's your Daddy?" in a way a Cayman doesn't. Women generally prefer to be wrapped in Benz.

Just trying to help a brother out. ;-)

Sorry to hear about the pain factor. An SL is a much more comfortable cruiser.

Beautiful....LMFAO, sadly I can picture it..outta control.:hilarious:

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well, I said f it and bought it!! LMAO.

As for owning a Benz, I live in Santa Barbara, CA. Mercedes, Ferarri, all these are a dime a dozen. I see more Benzes than Hondas in this town. For my age (30) the Porsche I think may stick out a bit more. Who knows? We'll see!

Took it on another test drive and without the sales guy so I was able to relax more, pay more attention etc. Brought a friend with me. Width didn't bug me at all.

As far as my back, I'm still a bit worried but I think I'll be fine. After all, a stiffer seat should actually be better for my back right?

Thanks for the NAV advice. It certainly puts me at ease. I made a post elsewhere on the purchase but here is the car regardless.

I'll let you guys know how it works out for me.

Also, what's a good site that sells Porsche stuff? aka clothes, hats all that. Trust me, I'm not going to be the douche wearing everything, but maybe a nice keychain etc.

my car... :)

Used 2007 Porsche Cayman S for Sale | DealerRevs.com - Car Ad #19356484

·
Caymaniac
5,658 Posts

As for owning a Benz, I live in Santa Barbara, CA. Mercedes, Ferarri, all these are a dime a dozen. I see more Benzes than Hondas in this town. For my age (30) the Porsche I think may stick out a bit more. Who knows? We'll see!

Took it on another test drive and without the sales guy so I was able to relax more, pay more attention etc. Brought a friend with me. Width didn't bug me at all.

As far as my back, I'm still a bit worried but I think I'll be fine. After all, a stiffer seat should actually be better for my back right?

Thanks for the NAV advice. It certainly puts me at ease. I made a post elsewhere on the purchase but here is the car regardless.

Also, what's a good site that sells Porsche stuff? aka clothes, hats all that. Trust me, I'm not going to be the douche wearing everything, but maybe a nice keychain etc.

Congratulations!

Wise choice. I was using reverse psychology. ;)

·
Premium Member
103 Posts

I'm 5 10, and 205. The standard seats are just fine, for me. I drove mine 2500 miles in 4 days, after I bought it, and it was very comfortable. You'll love the car! Enjoy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts