Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see 0-60 figures all over the place. From 4.3sec up to 4.9sec. What has everyone here been seeing? This would be without SC launch control. I seem to notice some hesitation when I just floor it from a start, which probably affects the 0-60 times badly. Is this hesitation normal? Reminds me of turbo cars I've driven.

Btw-I'm driving a Boxster S.

Matt

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
A number of variables affect 0-60. Like surface conditions and especially ambient temp. More hp at lower temp. The hesitation could be TC. I notice this in a lot of modern cars with throttle by wire. It's like the ecu has to check parameters and then decide if it's ok to grant full throttle. My truck which is also turbo seems really bad at times.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My Lexus IS350 doesn't have this problem. It hits it hard right off the line. The Boxster definitely makes up for this shortly after, but sucks to have to have this slight delay.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Transmission - M/T or PDK?
Engine - N/A or turbo?

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
My CS has no noticeable throttle lag in sport mode, but is a bit pokey off the line in standard mode.

My Genesis takes a couple of days to respond to throttle stomping.

Reactions: iiagdtr

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
PDK, NA.

It isn't that it just sits still, it just has very little torque for about 1 sec or so, doesn't matter if it's in normal mode, sport, or manual. I've tried turning off TC as well. Exact same laziness from the car.

When driving around, it seems to be pretty responsive.

·
Registered
72 Posts
The best I have done in my CS is 5.2sec. It pulls strong...after the initial lag. I also chalk it up to the 5280ft elevation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ouch that is awful. I think that's the worst I've seen by far!

So you have the lag as well? I guess I should clarify that what I'm really trying to figure out is whether or not this lag is real, and if Porsche designed it in to further hurt the 981. Does a tune remove this? If so, by how much does it affect performance?

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Ouch that is awful. I think that's the worst I've seen by far!

So you have the lag as well? I guess I should clarify that what I'm really trying to figure out is whether or not this lag is real, and if Porsche designed it in to further hurt the 981. Does a tune remove this? If so, by how much does it affect performance?
Yes its very real on the PDK cars. Just look up " Porsche dead stop hesitation" as a search term and you will find lots of discussion about it. It does not happen if the car is slightly moving already, but press the accelerator to the floor from a dead stop and there will be a second of hesitation before the car starts moving. Its just the nature of the PDK transmission which operates similar to a manual in this scenario where there is also a slight delay as the clutch is being let out and engaging with the motor from a stop. The PDK is not an automatic tranny as most are used to. There is no torque converter so you must think of it as a manual without a clutch pedal. You will also notice this "slip" when moving really slow such as in a parking garage. You press the accelerator to move and might sometimes feel the clutches slipping a bit before fully starting to move the car along.

Cobb tuning recently released a PDK tune that is claimed to help with this issue, however my experience with the Cobb tune was that it didn't remove this much if any at all. I would have a very hard time telling the difference at all with or without the tune if doing a blind study regarding this Porsche "feature" as it was the very first thing I tested since it was the main reason I purchased the tune to begin with. The Cobb tune does however fix the very poor factory shifting setup when in full auto mode where the car will be in 6th gear by 35MPH in order to get better fuel efficiency. Its shift at a much higher and proper RPM with the tune in auto mode, however I manually shift my car so this was never a real problem for me anyway.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Yes its very real on the PDK cars. Just look up " Porsche dead stop hesitation" as a search term and you will find lots of discussion about it. It does not happen if the car is slightly moving already, but press the accelerator to the floor from a dead stop and there will be a second of hesitation before the car starts moving. Its just the nature of the PDK transmission which operates similar to a manual in this scenario where there is also a slight delay as the clutch is being let out and engaging with the motor from a stop. The PDK is not an automatic tranny as most are used to. There is no torque converter so you must think of it as a manual without a clutch pedal. You will also notice this "slip" when moving really slow such as in a parking garage. You press the accelerator to move and might sometimes feel the clutches slipping a bit before fully starting to move the car along.

Cobb tuning recently released a PDK tune that is claimed to help with this issue, however my experience with the Cobb tune was that it didn't remove this much if any at all. I would have a very hard time telling the difference at all with or without the tune if doing a blind study regarding this Porsche "feature" as it was the very first thing I tested since it was the main reason I purchased the tune to begin with. The Cobb tune does however fix the very poor factory shifting setup when in full auto mode where the car will be in 6th gear by 35MPH in order to get better fuel efficiency. Its shift at a much higher and proper RPM with the tune in auto mode, however I manually shift my car so this was never a real problem for me anyway.
Agreed
I purchased the PDK tune for the same reasons and I love it. It makes normal to sport mode a BIG difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
So you do notice a significant difference after installing the pdk tune?

My dealer hasn't heard of any official pdk updates.

Matt
This is not any official Porsche PDK update. This is an aftermarket tune installed on the car using the Cobb access port the same as installing an engine ECU tune

It's not intended to be a performance update from a speed perspective. It remaps the shifting of RPM's when driving in manual mode, and increases the rpm before another shift occurs rather than the car shifting too quickly which is how it's programed for the factory for fuel efficiency. It also adds launch control to cars without sport chrono that don't have it

You can simply shift manually and accomplish the same higher RPM shifts without the Cobb tune, however this helps when you don't feel like doing this and want to drive in full auto mode

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
I have zero issues with my GTS PDK, and no stinking warranty-busting tune needed;). Any car would bog down if all of a sudden you fully open the throttle plate(s). Most cars have that built into the throttle-by-wire programming. Motorcycles dealt with that with a secondary throttle valve controlled by the ECU, until finally TBW arrived. But I got used to extracting maximum acceleration from my motorcycles without it (takes a fraction of a second to reach WOT) with precise throttle control, and maybe that's what I'm unconsciously doing with my GTS, but zero delay on my car, to the point I haven't used launch-control even once. Takes off plenty quick without it, and I live at 4K' of altitude, so performance is less than at sea level. But I do exclusively drive in sport AND manual mode; maybe that could have something to do with it. Bottom line is it's not universal, since many other PDK owners also don't have any issues, and some manual owners do. Good luck.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm having the oil changed next week, dealer will investigate it then.

My Lexus doesn't have any delay at all. In fact, it'll slip some if I just floor it from a complete stop. I'm guessing this is due to the torque converter vs pdk point made earlier.

It's not that I need to take off faster, it's just that I want things working exactly as they should. Porsche charges a crap ton of money for things, figure we should expect nothing less from them in return.

I've had a Prius get the jump on me the other day. Just doesn't seem right.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I see 0-60 figures all over the place. From 4.3sec up to 4.9sec. What has everyone here been seeing? This would be without SC launch control. I seem to notice some hesitation when I just floor it from a start, which probably affects the 0-60 times badly. Is this hesitation normal? Reminds me of turbo cars I've driven.

Matt
This C/D long term review gives you an answer for MT, no sports chrono. 0-60 @ 4.2 secs / 1/4mi @ 12.7 sec.

I agree with you that 0-60s of reviews are all over the place and most cars tested are loaded luxo editions + SC + everything dropped in. This is one is great bc it's very simply just the car with options like PSE + PTV.

2014 Porsche Cayman S Long-Term Test – Review – Car and Driver

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I don't see how they are getting 4.2sec to 60mph without launching it. Must just be the environment?

I've never clocked my Boxster, but the initial hesitation seems like it probably hurts it's time significantly. A rolling start seems much much faster, hurts my neck a bit when I try to keep sturdy.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
I find launch control abusive and gimmicky, so never use it. It might be the quickest way to 0-60, but it's elaborate, abusive to drivetrain and tires, and other than a freaking dragstrip, it's useless. And if tires spin, might not be quicker. Somebody here suggested a while back that using the parking brake was the most effective launch control. I tried it, and I agree;). You can take off whenever you want, like if on a red light. Plus it'd be obvious to people around you didn't use launch control, which makes it pretty obvious with the engine bouncing against the set rpm limit. Plus it aborts if not released after a second or so. With the parking brake, the car takes off like a perfectly executed start with a manual tranny, around 3K-3.5K rpm (I don't stomp the gas pedal at once though). On my LSD-equipped car, it takes off pretty quickly (not like my ex-GTR, but more than quick enough) even at 4K' of altitude, and the tires don't spin (almost, which makes it the ideal start). I suspect it's probably as quick as using launch control, since that surely spins the tires. I only used it once (and twice on my brother's car;)), since my car takes off pretty quickly just getting on the gas, but I'm always in manual/sport modes.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
No hesitation, but as I mentioned before, I don't think I just stomp to WOT in a nanosecond, out of mechanical background how an engine works, so do it (unconsciously) gradually but very quickly, like I learned to do on my motorcycles before the era of secondary throttle valves and later, DBW (drive-by-wire, like on cars today). The DME (or ECU) should compensate with a stomp by slightly delaying the opening of the throttle valve so engine doesn't bog, but guess engineers don't get it perfectly right for all 'stomp' speeds, and engine might hesitate under the 'right' conditions. Next time I use that car will try stomping on the gas rapidly and see what happens, but there's no need to with a bit of throttle control. Also remember I always drive in sport and manual modes, so maybe that has something to do with it. Will also try in auto if I remember, and report back to you;).

·
Registered
4,848 Posts

Matt
There are so many variables in a 0 - 60 run that it would be amazing if the times were not variable. For example when I was into drag racing, I'd see a car have 30 more HP at 45 degrees than what we measured at 85 degrees. Moreover, when a computerized launch is not used, there's the skill of the driver.An outstanding driver will launch a car a few tenths faster than just an average driver.

Bottom line is that 0 - 60 times are virtually meaningless as far as I'm concerned. It's a great measurement for those who are into drag racing, but how many Porsche owners take their cars to a drag strip? So to me a far more meaningful metric is 5 - 60. For example I was talking to a 718S owner a couple weeks ago about how disappointed he was in how his car performed against a C7. Since the cars have nearly identical 0 - 60 times, he thought that he could hang in there with the Vette. The only problem was that he ran from a roll, and not from a dead start. If it were up to me I'd just list 5-60 times and abandon 0-60, but I'm afraid that car manufacturers have invested so much into getting a super 0-60 time, that I don't see that metric being abandoned, at least not in the near term.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.