Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lighter wheels/tires equates to better acceleration. So that should mean that when comparin' wheels of the same manufacturer and design, but in different sizes (18" vs 19"), the smaller 18", which would weight less, should allow for better acceleration. However, 19" wheels are said to have better handling characteristics than 18". This of course assumes the tires on both wheel sizes are the same. Would the quicker acceleration of the smaller 18" wheels make up for (or maybe "offset" is a better word) the better handling characteristics of the 19" wheels?

·
Registered
620 Posts
Hi Flea,
There are a few other threads on here that discuss this. You can find more info by using the "search" function on this site. In general, yes, lighter is much better and desirable. However, for a given width, the 18" combo is not always lighter than the 19" combo. Intelligent selection of aftermarket wheels and light tire options can yield a large wheel/tire that is lighter than stock. 19" tend to handle well on smooth roads. 18" tend to handle better on rough roads. It is all a tradeoff. On the street, esthetics also play a role - and are totally subjective. I hope this helps some.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Flea,
There are a few other threads on here that discuss this. You can find more info by using the "search" function on this site. In general, yes, lighter is much better and desirable. However, for a given width, the 18" combo is not always lighter than the 19" combo. Intelligent selection of aftermarket wheels and light tire options can yield a large wheel/tire that is lighter than stock. 19" tend to handle well on smooth roads. 18" tend to handle better on rough roads. It is all a tradeoff. On the street, esthetics also play a role - and are totally subjective. I hope this helps some.
That does help some. I did a search, but I guess I didn't search the right phrase.

I doubt I'll track the car, or at least I won't be anytime soon, so I'll just be enjoyin' the twisty mountain roads here. Some of the roads are pretty good, while others are kinda chewed up in spots.

The wheels I've debatin' size on are the Forgestar F14's and I was gonna pair those up with Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetrics. I guess I need to look into the weight differences between those setups. As far as looks go, I think 19" looks a little better, but I don't know if I think it looks enough better to justify the extra cost of tires and the wheels themselves. Obviously that's just my opinion, and I think it depends on the wheel and finish.

I just wasn't sure if same wheel and same tire, just in different sizes, would be offset by the advantages of each (smaller wheel = better acceleration, bigger wheel = better handling).

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
I remember Walter Rohl said he needed the 19"s to achieve the best time in a Cayman (or was it a Boxster) on the ring. But then again, I'm pretty sure none of us here is Walter Rohl :D

·
Registered
806 Posts
Would the quicker acceleration of the smaller 18" wheels make up for (or maybe "offset" is a better word) the better handling characteristics of the 19" wheels?
My opinion would be this depends on both the track and the driver.

Some tracks have a lot of straights, the lighter 18's should result in a quicker lap than the heavier 19's. The reverse is true for a track with a lot of twisty sections.

The driver is also a factor. Say the narrower 18's max out at .8 G, and the 19's max out at .9 G. Can you, as a driver, consistently take the twisty bits on your track greater than .8 G but also less than .9G? If a good driver can get his 18's to .8 G but you can only get your 19's to .81 G, then the lighter tire will win. On the other hand, if you can consistently get your 19's to .89 G, then you will win.

Walter Rohl is one of those guys who can consistently get the most out a a tire. I am not Walter Rohl.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you live near the mountains of SC (northwest corner), then you live near me. It might be fun to meet up sometime in the mountains.
Yep. That's where I'm at. I'm in the Greenville area. I'm sure you could show me some good drivin' roads. I ride a Harley all around the mountains, but normally I just follow a buddy that knows the roads. I don't know my way around real well myself. lol

1 - 8 of 8 Posts