Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone think that the accelerator on our cars is a bit too stiff? I'm coming from an Audi world where it's very easy to roll on the gas. But with the Cayman, it seems that I have to work at it. I think this might also contribute to a somewhat sluggish feel I get when pulling away from the line. Can the accelerator be adjusted or should I just get used it?

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
A sprintbooster may fix lag, but the physical pedal is spot on, that's comming from a VW Golf GTI.

·
Crusin worlds most isolated city
3,755 Posts
Does anyone think that the accelerator on our cars is a bit too stiff? I'm coming from an Audi world where it's very easy to roll on the gas. But with the Cayman, it seems that I have to work at it. I think this might also contribute to a somewhat sluggish feel I get when pulling away from the line. Can the accelerator be adjusted or should I just get used it?
Absolutely not!
I know what your saying and I can understand that thinking if you come fro some other brand cars but in fact I find it perfect.

I used to have a 2005 Merc with full fly by wire technology (B Class) and the accel was soft and light, kinda like a marshmallow on a hot day, and with that I could not rest my foot on the pedal and if you tried it just went straight to the floor. End result was that I could get a sore muscles from holding my foot up all the time, esp on a long trip. It was REALLY BAD. Other Mercs suffer this to a degree as well, but the B Class was the worst.

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
I think because it is a little "stiffer" than other non-sport cars it allows better modulation of the pedal.

Personally I don't even think about it being different to my other cars, even though it is, and it's the same with the clutch, so maybe over time you will not notice it.

Capercat, with SC as the OP has simply pushing the 'Sport' button should get rid of any lag and make the throttle much more responsive which is the same as the sprintbooster does....basically.

·
Enjoying the drive.
1,265 Posts
Mine isn't. Actually I guess I would have liked it a little 'softer' when I first got the car because when I first started to drive it, I would start to push on the pedal from a stop and nothing would happen, then there would be a surge of power and it would look like I was doing a jackrabbit start. I have since taught myself how to pull away slowly so now it is just fine.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Actually yes, when I first drove this car I noticed that everything is heavier, gas, brakes and steering. Now I dont think about it anymore, I just drive!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Another thing you might be feeling is overly-eager accelerator pedal sensitivity so that pushing the accelerator down 10% really means 50% go. I suppose cars with this setup test drive well because they seem eager to move. Some people might call it "sporty" but I'd call it "spastic."

On the Porsche, the PASM (sports chrono mode) remaps the throttle response in a similar way. Or, if you get a Softronic reflash of the ECU, you can have them boost the sensitivity if you want.

·
Registered
61 Posts
The this specifically about Automatic transmission cars? If so that is pretty common. My audi was terrible about a lag in getting the car rolling from a stop. The cayman (manual transmission) is 1 million times better. But I think this is do to the transmission not the throttle. Similarly if you park the car, put it in drive and take your foot of the brake does it roll forward or backward a small about?

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I do feel more responsiveness and less lag with the Sport button on (which is nice). But when I'm lolly-gagging around town, I don't always want the higher RPMs and shift points of the Sport button. And on the highway, I want the PDK to drop into 7th gear in the non-Sport button mode.

Does anyone have experience using the Sprintbooster on an SC equipped car?

·
Premium Member
3,495 Posts
I do feel more responsiveness and less lag with the Sport button on (which is nice). But when I'm lolly-gagging around town, I don't always want the higher RPMs and shift points of the Sport button. And on the highway, I want the PDK to drop into 7th gear in the non-Sport button mode.

Does anyone have experience using the Sprintbooster on an SC equipped car?
My guess is that Sprint Booster just turns the throttle map portion of SC on. The actual map program is already in the ECU in the car, not in the Sprint Booster. So...No effect other than keeping the throttle map on Sport all the time. I don't think you can get Sport ++ with it.

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
What are you doing lollygagging around town anyways? I bet my avg speed has gone up 10 miles per hour everywhere since I got mine.

I find the pedal perfect. (6MT no SC)
And I would guess that the throttle feel will feel different depending on what you came from. Same with the clutch and brakes. I had no idea how difficult my Mustang was to depress the clutch pedal until getting this one. (I had never driven a MT until I bought the Mustang, and had very little experience with other MT since.) I am going to use the Mustang to teach the fiancee, but I think it would be easier to learn on the Cayman. But too bad. She is not touching the cayman until she shows me she can do it.

·
Premium Member
3,495 Posts
What are you doing lollygagging around town anyways? I bet my avg speed has gone up 10 miles per hour everywhere since I got mine.

I find the pedal perfect. (6MT no SC)
And I would guess that the throttle feel will feel different depending on what you came from. Same with the clutch and brakes. I had no idea how difficult my Mustang was to depress the clutch pedal until getting this one. (I had never driven a MT until I bought the Mustang, and had very little experience with other MT since.) I am going to use the Mustang to teach the fiancee, but I think it would be easier to learn on the Cayman. But too bad. She is not touching the cayman until she shows me she can do it.
SG:

I have an '06 Cayman S with SC (see signature). When the engine was stock, the Normal SC setting felt pretty limp. The Sport setting was a little hair trigger from a stop, but otherwise was much better. I now have Plenum and Flash without the Softronic Sport setting option, so I can still change back and forth with the dash switch. I've also taped down my clutch switch.

With these things done and stock exhaust, I really don't mind the Normal setting. I use it generally for the first 15 or so miles while the car warms up. After that, I set it to Sport if I remember, and then reset my PASM down to Normal so I don't get a concussion from hitting the roof with my head. This is Chicago and we have some roads that approximate Beirut.

Thought I'd let you know that Plenum and Flash does a lot for the Normal setting, making the car feel whole. It runs a bit smoother in Normal, but Sport is still more fun. The car has more power up top too.

The Softronics/Porsche plenum doesn't have the second flapper valve. The throttle response is a lot more linear this way. With the stock setup, you get this artificial feeling torque below 2,000 and then a real hole in the torque band about about 2300 to 3200 or so, from memory. After about 3500, things start to get interesting. With the plenum, this is all a little more evened out, without the hole in the torque.

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
Accelerator to stiff? There is only one thing that is stiff when I drive the Cayman.

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
or:

"Toyota: They practically drive themselves."

1 - 19 of 19 Posts