Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reactions: James III

·
Registered
525 Posts
Been waiting a while for this to launch. Eager to see what can be gained (if anything) other than the useful improvements to auto mode.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I am not the BGB customer, however COBB did come to my house and load the software a few months ago and I have been running it ever since. I will say that while I know the car isn't creating any more horsepower, it sure feels like it.
It shifts higher in the RPM band, so it will hover in the 3500-4K range most of the time if you are just cruising which is great so when you punch it you are in the power band. I don't track my car all that much but for the fun weekend trips I take it is a great improvement.

Every since I got the car, I felt that Porsche purposely selected a gear or two higher to keep RPM's down to increase MPG, this gets rid of that.

Highly recommend, great job again COBB!!

·
Registered
525 Posts
I am not the BGB customer, however COBB did come to my house and load the software a few months ago and I have been running it ever since.
Which map, though? Only the revised (finally proper) shift points? Or do you also have the faster and more aggressive shifts?

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
I am not the BGB customer, however COBB did come to my house and load the software a few months ago and I have been running it ever since. I will say that while I know the car isn't creating any more horsepower, it sure feels like it.
It shifts higher in the RPM band, so it will hover in the 3500-4K range most of the time if you are just cruising which is great so when you punch it you are in the power band. I don't track my car all that much but for the fun weekend trips I take it is a great improvement.

Every since I got the car, I felt that Porsche purposely selected a gear or two higher to keep RPM's down to increase MPG, this gets rid of that.

Highly recommend, great job again COBB!!
Hi James, have you noticed any change in the dead stop acceleration delay with this tune, or have you even tested it? My CS has always had the .5 second delay or so between the time the pedal is floored from a dead stop and the time car actually starts to move, which creates a slight stalling out like sensation. This does not happen if the car is already moving, even a little bit when the pedal is floored. Just from a dead stop

Thanks!

·
Registered
832 Posts
So I read through the link which compares Normal mode to the Cobb retune. It does not compare the Cobb to the Sport mode. My question is what is the difference between this and Sport mode which is my typical driving mode?

·
Registered
416 Posts
So I have the the more aggressive shift points and shifting as well. With the shifting you get more of a kick in the seat. I think they changed the clutch pressure so the shift is more aggressive.
It does remove the dead stop delay (which mine had and made it scary to jump across lanes of traffic from a dead stop)
It is a huge difference between Sport mode. Think of it as a middle point between Sport and Sport Plus for shifting. Sport plus shifts at redline, this tune shifts in the 4K range. Sport plus is great for the track but not for the street. This shifts like I would expect a sports car to shift. I always felt the car was in a gear or two too high for my taste even in Sport mode.

Reactions: ICNU

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was on the phone on hold with them when I read this. Apparently, everyone is calling, because I had to leave a message. :)

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
So I have the the more aggressive shift points and shifting as well. With the shifting you get more of a kick in the seat. I think they changed the clutch pressure so the shift is more aggressive.
It does remove the dead stop delay (which mine had and made it scary to jump across lanes of traffic from a dead stop)
It is a huge difference between Sport mode. Think of it as a middle point between Sport and Sport Plus for shifting. Sport plus shifts at redline, this tune shifts in the 4K range. Sport plus is great for the track but not for the street. This shifts like I would expect a sports car to shift. I always felt the car was in a gear or two too high for my taste even in Sport mode.
This is awesome to hear James and thanks so much for the info! Its rare that this is ever an issue, but pulling out quickly from a dead stop into a very busy intersection always felt a little awkward due to this phenomena. Glad I can throw money at to make it go away:)

·
Registered
72 Posts
I made it through the hold times this morning...super fast and easy to upgrade...
I have been stuck in meetings all day.

just about ready to go install and go for a drive....

Reactions: James III

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I can neither confirm nor deny whether I have obtained any tunes for my car. Kind of like the FBI or the State Department, we do not reveal on-going possible modifications. :)

·
Registered
62 Posts
From a dead stop, I have the hesitation when I floor the pedal, I'm assuming that's what everybody is referring to, but there is also lag for the RPMs to climb til about 3.5k then it starts screaming...kinda like the wheels are slipping but they aren't. If I roll start the car, it doesn't do this. Is anybody else experiencing this? I'm hoping this tune fixes this issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Yes, this the dead stop hesitation I was talking about above. There have been several complaints and post about it over the last few years since the 981 came out.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Have any of the few of you that have purchased this feature had issues with the maps? I purchased the new license key from Cobb yesterday. I downloaded the PDK maps from the Cobb site, but cannot get them into the Accessport. Its driving me crazy because it should be a simple task just like it was with the engine tunes.

I have tried the drag/drop method. using the upload icons and "search for maps" icons and every time I chose a map, I get a message saying "Are you sure would like to load this 0 file to the accessport?" I hit yes, and then the accessport software flashes quickly and nothing loads. It always says 0 files as if there isnt a file, yet allows me to go through the process as if there is a file, so I'm stumped.

The only difference in the maps I see are the engine tune maps file extensions end in ptm, but the PDK maps end in ptp. I can delete and reload the engine tune files without issue, so its something specific to the PDK files and not the Accessport itself

EDIT: Just renamed the file format from ptp to ptm, and file now loads correctly. Can anyone else confirm that their files are indeed ptm? It looks like this is the issue, but I dont want to attempt to load a file into the car if isnt supposed to be this way.

·
Registered
2014 Cayman S GT Silver over expresso
88 Posts
Seems like the thing to do is contact the vendor for confirmation of the product and process....

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Now, this looks interesting! I hate the early up shift in normal.

https://www.cobbtuning.com/accessport-tuning-for-porsche-pdk-transmissions/

Not associated with Cobb, just interested.
Last week I bought the Cobb ECU tune and installed v101 in the car, in about 10 minutes. This week I saw the PDK tune came out. I paid them another $600, and they sent me a new license file. First I upgraded the ECU to v200, which only took about 3 minutes. Then I applied the PDK "sport" tune, which took about 15 minutes.

I went for a drive early this morning to get a first impression. The normal mode is both more aggressive than OEM "sport", but also knows how to get into 7th gear when appropriate. It takes much less pedal travel to get it to downshift. Press the gas 10% and it will drop from 7th to 5th at highway speed. This makes the car feel more responsive when passing and less sluggish.

Cobb "sport" button mode is basically a track driving mode now. It will cruise down a highway at 4000 RPM in 4th gear. The goal seems to be to keep the car in the power band at all costs. It really doesn't upshift that much, unless you tell it to with the paddle. If you lean into the throttle it will grab 2nd or 3rd gear, whatever the lowest possible is for your speed. You no longer need to push the pedal to the floor lock to get this behavior from it.

I tried to do a launch control start and failed. Didn't get a second chance. I also had trouble getting it work 100% of the time at Porsche Experience Center. It's kind of an unnatural set of inputs for me (firm on the brake with left foot, deep and fast in the gas with right, release left foot).

Text Font Blue Screenshot Line

·
Registered
525 Posts
I purchased the new license key from Cobb yesterday. I downloaded the PDK maps from the Cobb site, but cannot get them into the Accessport.
This is after you updated the Accessport to v2 firmware? And running the most recent version of the PC/Mac software? Just asking since you left out the firmware update part in your story here. Without that, the AP probably wouldn't understand what the files for the PDK TCU are.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
This is after you updated the Accessport to v2 firmware? And running the most recent version of the PC/Mac software? Just asking since you left out the firmware update part in your story here. Without that, the AP probably wouldn't understand what the files for the PDK TCU are.
Yes, both the Accessport manager software and the device firmware have been updated before the new license key purchased from Cobb was installed. That process went just fine, so all should be good to go.

I see westwest posted an image of his device screen above and his PDK files are ptm files just like the engine tunes. I can get them to load into the accesspport just fine if I change the downloaded file to ptm, so that does appear to be the issue. Just not sure why they are downloading from the Cobb site to my PC with an unsupported ptp file extension???

There is a new snag for me now anyway as it appears any PDK file more aggressive than the sport file requires that it be run in conjunction with an engine tune map that is v2.00 or higher. My Fabspeed tune is based on a V1.00 map, so I will need to reach out to them to get my file update. This may apply to you as well since I know you are running one of their Pro tunes as well.

Im going to wait and speak to Cobb before proceeding, as I shouldn't have to change file extensions to get the maps to load or work correctly

Text Font Line

·
Registered
525 Posts
Yeah I reached out to Steve at FS but have not heard back yet.

I thought I read somewhere that the PDK maps were already included in the new firmware, I guess not.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Yeah I reached out to Steve at FS but have not heard back yet.

I thought I read somewhere that the PDK maps were already included in the new firmware, I guess not.
My assumption was the same regarding the PDK maps. I did the update with new license and connected up to the car. I chose the PDK install option and was asked by the device to verify that i was connecting to the proper car number that was listed, and when I confirm I'm taken to the list of maps on the device, and the only ones there are my engine tunes.

There was no mention of having to load maps from the website in the instructions that were sent to me with the purchase. Only instructions for updating the unit with the new license key, so I assumed they would be there automatically

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.