Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, I did a search and read about 10 threads. Surprisingly I was not able to find any information on an adapter piece to make standard size speakers fit in the woofer space in the doors.

Thanks to the "Door Panel Removal" thread, I was able to easily remove the passenger door panel. Because I have the Sound Package Plus (or whatever it's called), there are two speakers in the door: a woofer and a midrange. I'd like to replace the woofer. So I removed the speaker housing and the speaker. It's an odd size: about 7.75 inches. I'm not aware of anyone making this size speaker. I'm guessing I'll have to install a 6 1/2" speaker.

Since the opening is so big, a 6.5" speaker doesn't come close to lining up with any of the screw holes. The speaker is just too small. Will I have to make my own adapter, or does someone sell an adapter?

Also, will a 5.25" fit where the midrange door speaker is currently mounted?

Thanks!

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, in order to fit a 6.5" speaker to replace the factory woofers you'll need an adapter. I went with an eBay vendor called 'soundmekanixcustoms'. See my thread here: http://www.planet-9.com/987-cayman-...dvice-upgrading-audio-system.html#post1697905

Opening for mid ranges is 4", not enough space for a 5.25" speaker.
Awesome! Thanks for the link and referral! How much did sound mekanix customs charge for the adapters? How long did it take to get them?

The thread you mentioned above has a post where the author said his Fosgate 6.5" speakers fit in the factory plate without any adapter. Apparently that's not true?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Mine was a custom order and he charged $20. I also need them urgently and paid for overnight shipment but most of the items in his store has free shipping included. You maybe able to find a matching size from one of his off the shelf items. Mine was an oddball sized speaker and I wasn't able to find that I felt will be a perfect fit: http://stores.ebay.com/soundmekanixcustoms

I don't see how a 6.5" is a drop in to the factory piece, this is how a 6 3/4" looks once the factory speaker is removed and the gap will be even wider with a 6.5". I looked into hacking out the OEM speaker and using it's metal trim but that didn't line up either.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Just be aware, a door is not a dry environment. An MDF or plywood speaker ring will soak up moisture and eventually crumble. It will last for multiple years, but worth keeping in mind.

If you're handy and have access to cutting tools (a jigsaw in particular) they are not difficult to make. I'm planning on making a set for my car next weekend. Instead of plywood/MDF, I'm using HDPE, aka plastic cutting board, 1/2" thick. Possibly multiple layers depending on thickness needed to provide speaker mounting depth.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.