Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if it's possible to add just the sports chrono clock to a 981 that came w/o the sport chrono package from the factory? I'm not looking for the additional feature like rev-matching or PASM. I just want the look and functionality of the sport chrono clock.

thanks

·
Registered
798 Posts
If you have the clock then you have sport plus and hence rev-matching...so you probably have it..?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
349 Posts
What exactly do you do with the clock?
I have sports plus but could have swopped the clock for something else.

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,105 Posts
What exactly do you do with the clock?
I have sports plus but could have swopped the clock for something else.

Not a lot. It displays the time in both analog and digital. It is also a stopwatch used for lap timing that can be control from the TFT.

Some think it looks cool. Some think it is a wart. I like it.

SC comes with the clock. You cannot separate them.

·
Registered
192 Posts
If you have the clock then you have sport plus and hence rev-matching...so you probably have it..?
Nope ! Came on 2014 models but not 2013. After test driving several cars including a 2014 manual, I really liked the rev-matching but the car I purchased had 175 kms on the odometer and had everything I wanted and then some (incl. sport chrono) ...

·
Registered
671 Posts
I wish. I think the clock adds a sort of stateliness, for lack of a better word. I think the placement of the hazard lights/lock button is prohibitively different in non-chrono models. To add retroactively would look odd, in my humble.

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
I wish. I think the clock adds a sort of stateliness, for lack of a better word. I think the placement of the hazard lights/lock button is prohibitively different in non-chrono models. To add retroactively would look odd, in my humble.
Yep... I've really liked the clock since the first time I saw it in person. It looks like a quality piece of kit. I keep wondering whether the dial is actually carbon fibre though. I rather suspect it isn't. :D

And yes... I love the rev matching. I only wish it had its own switch.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
IMO the clock looks good in the 981 but awkward in the 991. It really highlights the age of the dashboard in the latter. That's something they really should address in the upcoming 991.2 refresh.

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
IMO the clock looks good in the 981 but awkward in the 991. It really highlights the age of the dashboard in the latter. That's something they really should address in the upcoming 991.2 refresh.
I never paid much attention to the clock in the 991. I DID however notice that I like the shape of the dash pad in the 981 MUCH better. The one long line of horizontal stitching on the 991 doesn't hold a candle to the two lines up the middle and the one over the binnacle on the 981!

·
Registered
583 Posts
It is one of those way too expensive options. The idea of am extra clock is nice. Passengers can never find the clock in my car, also when you are on the phone/Bluetooth the clock disappears altogether

·
Premium Member
744 Posts
AFAIK, no one has tried on a 981.

Your biggest problem might be the wiring harness, you would have to look at the Porsche PET catalog for your model year and compare between a SC equipped and non-equipped equivalent to spot if there are any differences. Then having to deal with the ordeal of your dash been pulled apart without any damage, the cutout been made, clock installed, etc, etc.

There probably is a good reason why Porsche sells the Sport Plus option switch and SW, and not the clock and switch and SW.

·
Registered
798 Posts
AFAIK, no one has tried on a 981.

Your biggest problem might be the wiring harness, you would have to look at the Porsche PET catalog for your model year and compare between a SC equipped and non-equipped equivalent to spot if there are any differences. Then having to deal with the ordeal of your dash been pulled apart without any damage, the cutout been made, clock installed, etc, etc.

There probably is a good reason why Porsche sells the Sport Plus option switch and SW, and not the clock and switch and SW.
Also seems like a pain to retrofit the adaptable engine mounts...

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Does anyone know if it's possible to add just the sports chrono clock to a 981 that came w/o the sport chrono package from the factory? I'm not looking for the additional feature like rev-matching or PASM. I just want the look and functionality of the sport chrono clock.

thanks
Would this fit right about where the Death Ray bright red indicator light for the door locks normally goes? That's a "win" right there.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
The rev matching sound really great but I have no trouble blipping the throttle with my right foot whether braking or not. And the Sport mode gives me extra high blips for more aggressive driving at higher revs. So I don't really miss it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts