Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've installed my third radiator and I've been letting the car sit in the garage while I try to figure out how to protect the front a little better. I've considered the DIY Mesh method of course and that seems to be the way I'm going to go. I do have a question for those in the know however - 987.2 Caymans with a center radiator have a panel that fits in the center radiator inlet that has plastic cross beams that match the way the covers over the side radiators look. I like this factory look even though it doesn't provide as much protection as a mesh, so maybe this is purely academic but does anyone know if the 987.2 center grille surround will attach to a 987.1 bumper? I'm aware the bumpers and side grilles are different in design, but from the pictures the center area looks to be identical in dimensions - but I don't have a 987.2 nearby to compare.

Here are the part numbers
For the 987.2
987-505-555-03-G2L
and for the 987.1 the same piece is
987-505-555-01-01C

Interestingly, they look similar in the diagrams but the physical part looks much different. the 03-G2L version has those plastic slats like I mentioned - here's a pic to show what I mean:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just an update in case anyone finds this via Google - the snaps on the 987.2 part do not exactly line up, even though the shape does. I suppose you could modify the 987.2 part to fit, but it is not a drop in replacement, and since the only reason I considered this was as an easy drop in to avoid the DIY grille mesh method, I will be doing that instead. Cheers

·
PCA Nat'l DE Instructor
1,818 Posts
Thanks for answering your own question. Sometimes, you've just got to experiment and see for yourself! It's also very considerate of you to share your findings with the community.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts