Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm on my third PDK Porsche. Each of them has had the sports design paddle shift wheel. When I got my 981 a couple weeks ago I decided I was tired of looking at the old style wheel and started looking into upgrading to something cooler.

After some research, I found that the newest steering wheels aren't compatible with the 981 and older cars. Porsche updated the wiring in the newer cars. However, thanks to Paul at https://gpsadapter.us it is now possible to use these steering wheels.

I purchased a new macan wheel on ebay along with a new airbag. (the new wheel uses a different/smaller airbag) and got the correct adapter from gpsadapter.

The install was pretty painless. I've installed everything and the paddles work great. I need to bring my car to the shop next week and have them enable the multifunction support via PIWIS. (Paul provides a detailed step by step for the dealer to follow) The only feature that won't work on the wheel is the steering wheel heating. It's possible to make it work, but it's more involved and you need to buy a couple additional things like a new clock spring. I just didn't think it was worth it.

I think it looks great and really finishes off the interior. The wheel itself is really comfortable and the paddles feel firmer and have a shorter throw. All around, I'm really happy with the mod.

Here are a before and after shot and a side by side comparison of the two wheels.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Center console Porsche boxster

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Center console Steering wheel

Wheel Alloy wheel Rim Auto part Tire

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Macan wheel looks really sharp, very tempting upgrade. How much did this set you back (and how much would it have set you back with the heater?)
Costs:

Ebay Macan wheel - $500
Ebay Macan airbag - $500
gps adapter - $350

The key is to keep a watchful eye on ebay for the wheel and airbag. normal retail for both would be $1k each. So, at full retail, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Look for the ebay listings with "make an offer" and see how cheap you can get them for. It's also worth keeping in mind that you'll be able to sell your old sport design wheel and airbag for $1k or so.

To get the heater to work would be probably another $250 for a new clock spring:
part number#958.652.568.14

and you may need to replace the steering wheel control module depending on what your car year/model is. Not sure of that price.
part number#958.652.568.03

The heating control button is a tiny surface mounted button on the bottom/back side of the steering wheel so you can't even see it. You kinda need to know it's there to even know where to feel for it.

It's worth mentioning again how great Paul at
https://gpsadapter.us was to deal with. He's Chinese and his business is in China. He writes good enough english to figure out and is very knowledgeable and responsive to emails. I ordered my adapter on a Tuesday afternoon. It was delivered to my house in Dallas two days later on Thursday. FROM CHINA!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wasn't very clear in my original post. When I said the multifunction does not work. That is not entirely correct.

Without proper car coding some of the multi-function stuff actually still works. Currently in my car, the left dial/roller controls volume up and down. The right dial/roller actually does cycle through the PCM functions on my dash (I have PCM 2.0 or whatever it's called) so I can switch between radio station select, g-force detector, vehicle info, phone info etc. the click on the right roller works as well to select menu options on the dash and the return button will go backwards.

The features that do not work are the "Joker" button and the ability to change button functionality. I haven't tried the phone pick up/hang up buttons.

Basically, without coding, I think I have 80% of the multi function functionality. The coding will enable the last few things.

·
Registered
628 Posts
really really cool.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
interesting and good one. do they have the same diameter?
Good question. I didn't compare them. (wish I had). It feels like the macan wheel is slightly smaller in diameter than the original sports design wheel. It also feels a little bit "fatter" .

717 Posts
Wow, I LOVE this! That wheel was always my favorite part of the Macan, the feel of it to my personal taste made it the best Porsche OEM wheel available. I didn't realize there were any options out there to make it work, glad I know about this now.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I wasn't very clear in my original post. When I said the multifunction does not work. That is not entirely correct.

Without proper car coding some of the multi-function stuff actually still works. Currently in my car, the left dial/roller controls volume up and down. The right dial/roller actually does cycle through the PCM functions on my dash (I have PCM 2.0 or whatever it's called) so I can switch between radio station select, g-force detector, vehicle info, phone info etc. the click on the right roller works as well to select menu options on the dash and the return button will go backwards.

The features that do not work are the "Joker" button and the ability to change button functionality. I haven't tried the phone pick up/hang up buttons.

Basically, without coding, I think I have 80% of the multi function functionality. The coding will enable the last few things.
I found if original equipped with sport chrono package,upgrade from sport design steering wheel to multifunction wheel,no multifunction active code needed,only need PIWIS coding to active dash menu setting about ‘Multifunction key operating’ .

·
Registered
6 Posts
That is sweet !!

I am new to P Car, i bought my first ( Used ) 981BS 2013 with MF Steering wheel. I am considering options for paddle shift conversion.
Please keep update how all the functions work after you have your car reprogramed.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I have a manual CGTS. I would love to have a Macan wheel on my car. How about putting one and removing the paddles? Would this work?
It’s works. but remove paddles will leave holes,need buy new back cover without pddles hole replaced.
Thx, looks like I can purchase a 718 GT steering wheel which is also smaller and thicker without paddles on Suncoast.

·
Premium Member
497 Posts
What about buying a GT4 wheel?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.