Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I'm thinking about swapping out the stock sport+ seats from some lightweight Sparco fixed back seats. For those of you that have experience with this kind of stuff, will the Sparco seat base for Porsches work on the 981?

And what about throwing codes/lights on the dash for removing the stock seats... is that something to expect and if so is there a way to disable warning lights, etc?

Thanks

·
PCA Member and DE Instructor
3,078 Posts
No flame, but if you don't know the answers to your questions then you haven't researched the change over.

1 Hint

AIRBAGS

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
You will need sliders and mounts for Sparcos. I am sure Brey Krause makes them. You will get warning lights for seat airbags and the child airbag (weight) disabler in the passenger seat. You will need to use a Durametric Pro to turn these off as the customer version doesn't do it.
Yes, it's a nightmare, but I've run Sparco seats in a previous car and they were the most amazing seats I've ever sat in (including an 11 hour solo drive that felt like 3 hours thanks to the seats.)

·
Registered
499 Posts
No flame, but if you don't know the answers to your questions then you haven't researched the change over.

1 Hint

AIRBAGS

I feel like you always come into people's threads and say "search search search, i have the answer but I wont tell you because I don't think you've done your homework." Whats the point of coming in and diverting someone somewhere else if you have the knowledge yourself. Isn't it frustrating when you ask for help and people give you the runaround? or maybe you always do your homework and never ask for help...
:rolleyes:

with that being said......

Yes, the airbags will be an issue. If you remove the original seats you will also be removing the airbag that is within the stock seat. the car computer will not like this, the porsche dealership could probably help you get rid of that CEL for the missing airbags, but you'd need to talk to your porsche dealership to see if they would even mess with that kind of stuff. They may not help you with that because it affects safety regulations and stuff.

Chances are the base frames on the bucket seats wont match up, and you'll have to fabricate some kind of adaption. This wont be too difficult but its not often that things like that just bolt right up. Sometimes you just have to drill a few extra holes or put some simple extensions to make it work, it doesn't have to be rocket science, just secure.

good luck

·
PCA Member and DE Instructor
3,078 Posts
I feel like you always come into people's threads and say "search search search, i have the answer but I wont tell you because I don't think you've done your homework." Whats the point of coming in and diverting someone somewhere else if you have the knowledge yourself. Isn't it frustrating when you ask for help and people give you the runaround? or maybe you always do your homework and never ask for help...
:rolleyes:

Its a generation thing. Today most take the easy way out. Their life is too important to bother with the things that work. The internet is there to provide them answers to their questions if they phrase it correctly. But most just rather are lazy, post on a forum and then continue to do their things; even when a rephrasing of their question on the internet would've provided them with the answer. For some odd reason I equate that with the "entitlement syndrome". They are more important that everybody else and everybody has to cater to them.

In this case; have you ever seen an aftermarket race seat with an airbag that matches up to every manufacturer's electronics?

·
Registered
179 Posts
It is not always easy to find information on the forum. Especially when the threads get clogged up with members telling others to "search search search" :)

To the OP: you can look into my thread here for some related information. http://www.planet-9.com/981-cayman-...-recaro-bucket-seat-installed.html#post827293

In my case, I was able to install a resistor kit which fools the computer into thinking there is a seat airbag, so I did NOT get a warning light at all. I was very happy with that solution. I highly recommend Recaro Japan seats if they fit you.

·
Registered
499 Posts

In this case; have you ever seen an aftermarket race seat with an airbag that matches up to every manufacturer's electronics?
Well usually true racing seats don't have airbags because race cars don't have airbags, rather, they just strap you in tight and slap a HANS device on you.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It is not always easy to find information on the forum. Especially when the threads get clogged up with members telling others to "search search search" :)

To the OP: you can look into my thread here for some related information. http://www.planet-9.com/981-cayman-...-recaro-bucket-seat-installed.html#post827293

In my case, I was able to install a resistor kit which fools the computer into thinking there is a seat airbag, so I did NOT get a warning light at all. I was very happy with that solution. I highly recommend Recaro Japan seats if they fit you.
Thanks a bunch for that link. It answered my questions. It seems like i can purchase a sparco seat base for any year cayman and it should be compatible with my 2015. Quick question about the stock seat weight you posted- am i correct in assuming you weighed the entire seat and bracket assembly?

Amduech, i am blown away that you extrapolate a broad stroke opinion like that based upon a question posed on a freaking forum. I mean, the whole point of a forum is for discussion. Otherwise, it would simply be a wiki. For a moderator/long time member, its sad to see someone like that belittle others.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Thanks a bunch for that link. It answered my questions. It seems like i can purchase a sparco seat base for any year cayman and it should be compatible with my 2015. Quick question about the stock seat weight you posted- am i correct in assuming you weighed the entire seat and bracket assembly?.
Yes, I did. I'm not sure my scale was the most accurate, so lemme know if your stock seat weighs the same. Good luck!

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
I know this doesn't apply to the OP, but I'd just like to drop this here for anyone reading through this topic in the future and considering cheaper seats as a replacement. It's worth a read.

Avoiding Dangerous Racing Seats

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
The thread by jwwu is nice, and that seat looks great. But because you didn't swap out the passenger seat, you dodged the child weight sensor problem. If you put in both the driver and passenger race seats you will have to deal with three potential sources of warning lights: both seat airbags and the passenger seat weight detector. I've used resistor packs to fool the airbag detectors, but there is no such kit to replace the child weight sensor system. You will always get that warning light unless you turn it off using PIWIS or Durametric Pro. I can almost guarantee the dealer will not do this for you! An independent shop with a DuraPro might do it for you, for the right amount of palm greasing.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Also! Don't buy used carbon fiber seats. Carbon fiber seats have a shelf life, often times in racing, regulations have expiration dates on all kinds of things (Fire extinguishers, seat belts, electronic parts, carbon seats etc etc) because carbon fiber can dry out and get brittle over time. So in the case of a crash, if you're strapped into a brittle carbon seat, you may have some breakage that you do not want in the case of an accident.

Imagine getting in an accident and the seat brakes where the bolts are, causing the seat to detach from the frame mid collision. Not good.

Cheers be safe

1 - 12 of 12 Posts