Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,795 Posts
... Sure, I would have liked a nice aftermarket unit with apple car play, etc. but when we attempted to go that route, it became clear I would either have to live with error messages on my dash or I'd supposedly have to keep the stock PCM plugged in and stuck somewhere in the fronk (silly idea).
Huh???
I have a Kenwood head unit with Apple Car Play, integrated front & rear cameras, etc. that looks oem and absolutely no error messages. My stock PCM unit is in a box in my garage if I ever want to swap back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,215 Posts
Huh???
I have a Kenwood head unit with Apple Car Play, integrated front & rear cameras, etc. that looks oem and absolutely no error messages. My stock PCM unit is in a box in my garage if I ever want to swap back.

Could the difference be how the NAV and Audio were optioned at build, perhaps a base system without these does not throw up errors?

Even in the new cars this is an issue, can't believe that they don't offer Android Auto! And don't tell me it is because of sharing private data, no Apple wouldn't track your location or listen into your conversations with Siri! ;)

This is my information and therefore my choice, just about every other auto manufacturer offers both phone system OS connectivity as standard...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #43 (Edited)
Great job! The price can be cut in half if go with Pioneer head unit, instead of staying with Porsche PCM. Yes, it would not look exactly stock, but you'd have all the modern bells and whistles, like wireless android auto... it's just $700 vs $1600

I was told there was no fiber optic adapter to mate a aftermarket unit to the stock amp for the Bose system equipped cars...that you had to go with a different amp as well (two shops told me this)...and ultimately, a new head unit, amp, camera's, wiring, etc., was considerably more than $700. The lowest I was quoted from two shops was $1600.

Huh???

My supposedly very experienced shop told me they had fully installed a Kenwood deck and new amp...and said there was no way around error messages (for PCM data that is normally displayed on driver instrument cluster displays), without keeping the stock PCM plugged in.

Is there something different with my 2013 BS, vs your 2016 GT4? Or did this shop owner not know what the heck he was doing?

He claimed he talked to Porsche and couldn't get around it, without doing a NavTV retrofit.

Hmmm.

Overall still happy with the outcome and the system has what we need, although I would have really liked to spend less and get more modern features.

Now, I don't know what to think! ;)

·
Registered
5,215 Posts
I was told there was no fiber optic adapter to mate a aftermarket unit to the stock amp for the Bose system equipped cars...that you had to go with a different amp as well (two shops told me this)...and ultimately, a new head unit, amp, camera's, wiring, etc., was considerably more than $700. The lowest I was quoted from two shops was $1600.

My supposedly very experienced shop told me they had fully installed a Kenwood deck and new amp...and said there was no way around error messages (for PCM data that is normally displayed on driver instrument cluster displays), without keeping the stock PCM plugged in.

Is there something different with my 2013 BS, vs your 2016 GT4? Or did this shop owner not know what the heck he was doing?

He claimed he talked to Porsche and couldn't get around it, without doing a NavTV retrofit.

Hmmm.

Overall still happy with the outcome and the system has what we need, although I would have really liked to spend less and get more modern features.

Now, I don't know what to think! ;)
Don't think just enjoy, you have the cameras working and IIRC that was the goal!

As for the other features, the different configurations and options in these cars can present different outcomes, when people say 'simply worked' for them, they may have started with a different configuration...

·
Vendor
6,484 Posts
I've seen many installation threads. No need for new amp, and no error messages with porsche crappy PCM completely thrown away. But it might very well be the case for useless Basic PCM, with no NAV. NAV integration into the dash gauges surely will cause some problems. I have basic PCM and planning on going this route during the winter break.

·
Registered
5,215 Posts
I've seen many installation threads. No need for new amp, and no error messages with porsche crappy PCM completely thrown away. But it might very well be the case for useless Basic PCM, with no NAV. NAV integration into the dash gauges surely will cause some problems. I have basic PCM and planning on going this route during the winter break.
That's just it T, there are variables, as you have a basic PCM that may be the best starting point, NAV and BOSE if installed are bound to get in the way.

Be sure to start a new thread with install details, it would be a good read!

·
Registered
433 Posts
Just installed Pearl. I didn't need to call them but some company bought them so they are still supported. Is it as seamless an OEM system? No but its 80% of the way there.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Just installed Pearl. I didn't need to call them but some company bought them so they are still supported. Is it as seamless an OEM system? No but its 80% of the way there.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Define "supported". Last I checked, they have not released any further developments (updates, fixes, bugs or updated software releases to support newer phone OS's) in well over 2 years.

I heard their old software doesn't support the new IOS OS versions, allowing the phone to display in landscape mode.

It looked like a pretty nice, possibly livable and cheaper option but it still didn't address my need for a front camera too.

Lastly, when the last videos that the company produced for the product were in early 2017 and Amazon discontinued the sales of it...and people complained of not being able to get any support for issues they were having with their units...that's all I needed to see/know.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi all,

I'd like to add a backup camera and sensors to my 2013 981 S.

I'm reading/finding that my PCM 3.1 can't be upgraded to software version 4.xx or greater, for the aftermarket solutions I'm finding.

I have PCM system version 3.41 (that I believe can only be upgraded to something like 3.43). What a drag.

Are there any other solutions I've yet to find? Has anyone successfully added an OEM-like backup camera / sensor integration to a 981 Boxster with a lower than 4.xx PCM system version?

Thank you for any help you can provide.

- MotoJB
Hi, here is a pretty cool solution that I installed in the wife's 2016 Cayenne, and my 2011 BMW 335D - and will now install soon in my 2015 Boxster S.

This does not address the parking sensors you mention - but it does integrate a factory like backup camera as well as add factory like Apple Carplay - for $400

I can personally vouch for this system since I have now installed it in two of my cars. The CarPlay has both wireless and wired capability (although wireless I found can sometimes be flukey, I always plug it in since it is rock solid this way and it charges my phone). Another plus for me is you can use the SiriusXM app on CarPlay via one $9/mo streaming acct and not have to activate the onboard SiriusXM tuners in your car(s). Of course Spotify, Pandora, etc is also now integrated into the car as well as apple maps, waze, google maps, messages (texting)…. Album art, info, is on display.. Everything can be speech driven through Siri and works incredibly well in my cayenne and bmw. (although I would guess with the top down in the boxster this might suck). Touchscreen and the left knob to scroll both work great as well.
Also - this system acts as a second video/audio source, so you can switch back and forth to the factory PCM interface easily by holding the navi button for one full second. It is also completely removable/reversible back to stock.

More specifically to your request - this system adds an intergrated rear and front camera input - and since it plug and plays inline with the existing car harness, it knows when the car is in reverse and switches on the camera automatically. It is really pretty slick. The one in my BMW even has dynamic parking assist lines - and this car didn't even have a factory camera - that blew me away!
My wife's Cayenne already had a factory rear camera and it continues to work great with this in place.
My Boxster, like yours, does not have a rear camera and sensors - So I will absolutely add a camera to this car when I do this.

BE AWARE - For the PCM 3.1 you do have to remove the stereo headunit and perform surgery on it. You effectively are adding a circuit board for this controller into the stereo and removing, reinstalling a few ribbon cables. This can certainly freak some people out - I did it and it wasn't that bad/hard. You could always find a good car stereo shop to install I suppose.

Let me know what you think.. To me this was a no-brainer and well worth the $$

·
Registered
5,215 Posts
Hi, here is a pretty cool solution that I installed in the wife's 2016 Cayenne, and my 2011 BMW 335D - and will now install soon in my 2015 Boxster S.

This does not address the parking sensors you mention - but it does integrate a factory like backup camera as well as add factory like Apple Carplay - for $400

I can personally vouch for this system since I have now installed it in two of my cars. The CarPlay has both wireless and wired capability (although wireless I found can sometimes be flukey, I always plug it in since it is rock solid this way and it charges my phone). Another plus for me is you can use the SiriusXM app on CarPlay via one $9/mo streaming acct and not have to activate the onboard SiriusXM tuners in your car(s). Of course Spotify, Pandora, etc is also now integrated into the car as well as apple maps, waze, google maps, messages (texting)…. Album art, info, is on display.. Everything can be speech driven through Siri and works incredibly well in my cayenne and bmw. (although I would guess with the top down in the boxster this might suck). Touchscreen and the left knob to scroll both work great as well.
Also - this system acts as a second video/audio source, so you can switch back and forth to the factory PCM interface easily by holding the navi button for one full second. It is also completely removable/reversible back to stock.

More specifically to your request - this system adds an intergrated rear and front camera input - and since it plug and plays inline with the existing car harness, it knows when the car is in reverse and switches on the camera automatically. It is really pretty slick. The one in my BMW even has dynamic parking assist lines - and this car didn't even have a factory camera - that blew me away!
My wife's Cayenne already had a factory rear camera and it continues to work great with this in place.
My Boxster, like yours, does not have a rear camera and sensors - So I will absolutely add a camera to this car when I do this.

BE AWARE - For the PCM 3.1 you do have to remove the stereo headunit and perform surgery on it. You effectively are adding a circuit board for this controller into the stereo and removing, reinstalling a few ribbon cables. This can certainly freak some people out - I did it and it wasn't that bad/hard. You could always find a good car stereo shop to install I suppose.

Let me know what you think.. To me this was a no-brainer and well worth the $$
Very cool, thanks for the information, the wife's Macan has PCM3.1 but until it is off warranty I don't think she will let me perform surgery on the PCM!

It mentions compatibility with 718 but as the date range is 2010-2016 I think there was a bit of a miss in translation!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Very cool, thanks for the information, the wife's Macan has PCM3.1 but until it is off warranty I don't think she will let me perform surgery on the PCM!

It mentions compatibility with 718 but as the date range is 2010-2016 I think there was a bit of a miss in translation!

I see what you mean.. So they also have one for 2017-2018 PCM 4.0 and the 718 is mentioned there too.

Interesting they have this version - I think you can add carplay to a 4.0 with a software flash at the dealer. likely more $$ but that's what I would do if I had a 4.0.

Im confused now.. im not familiar with v3.4.. my guess would be that yours is an in-betweener and it would work with the 3.1 version - not the 4.0. you could contact them and ask.. they are on other side of the world but are very responsive and friendly via what's app.

Our cayenne is still under warranty - my wife wasn't worried about me frying anything I guess and loved the idea of having carplay (plus I used her car as the guinea pig for my car)… Even if I did something bad - I suppose I would have removed it and brought it in for warranty issue.. That didn't happen so all is good.. They have some pretty good videos of the headunit surgery so you can watch that first and see.

·
Registered
5,215 Posts
I see what you mean.. So they also have one for 2017-2018 PCM 4.0 and the 718 is mentioned there too.

Interesting they have this version - I think you can add carplay to a 4.0 with a software flash at the dealer. likely more $$ but that's what I would do if I had a 4.0.

Im confused now.. im not familiar with v3.4.. my guess would be that yours is an in-betweener and it would work with the 3.1 version - not the 4.0. you could contact them and ask.. they are on other side of the world but are very responsive and friendly via what's app.

Our cayenne is still under warranty - my wife wasn't worried about me frying anything I guess and loved the idea of having carplay (plus I used her car as the guinea pig for my car)… Even if I did something bad - I suppose I would have removed it and brought it in for warranty issue.. That didn't happen so all is good.. They have some pretty good videos of the headunit surgery so you can watch that first and see.
Thanks again, I did a quick check and there appears to be a couple of units for PCM4.0, regarding Apple CarPlay, not what I need, for me I want Android Auto. Interesting that the version for PCM4.0 does not require an internal circuit board to be added. If Porsche offered Android Auto on the PCM 4.0 I would opt in, but at least there are way to add this. I even saw an external box to add a full Android system to PCM 4.0!

The Macan has PCM 3.1, not sure where you saw 3.4?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks again, I did a quick check and there appears to be a couple of units for PCM4.0, regarding Apple CarPlay, not what I need, for me I want Android Auto. Interesting that the version for PCM4.0 does not require an internal circuit board to be added. If Porsche offered Android Auto on the PCM 4.0 I would opt in, but at least there are way to add this. I even saw an external box to add a full Android system to PCM 4.0!

The Macan has PCM 3.1, not sure where you saw 3.4?

Oh, sorry. I thought you were the original post guy. He mentioned he has pcm3.4. Which I am not familiar with..

And by the way. I didn’t mention before that the system I installed also does android auto and android mirroring. I cannot comment on how well it works though because I don’t have an android phone.

·
Registered
5,215 Posts
Oh, sorry. I thought you were the original post guy. He mentioned he has pcm3.4. Which I am not familiar with..

And by the way. I didn’t mention before that the system I installed also does android auto and android mirroring. I cannot comment on how well it works though because I don’t have an android phone.
No worries, I re-read the original post, he has a PCM3.1 hardware system with a software version of 3.4x, many individuals were trying to a software version only supported in later released hardware, IIRC the early PCM3.1 could only go to software v3.43 as he mentions...

Thanks for the confirmation regarding Android Auto support on the hardware you bought, that would be great for the wife's Macan's PCM. For me I am in/waiting for a new 718 so I need a slightly different solution to add Android Auto, I know that the PCM 'should' be PCM 4.0 but as I don't expect to see a car for a least 6 months so I dare not buy any hardware until I know for sure what I will be working with in the car.

Thanks for providing the details, it is great when the individuals post their exact configuration and solutions, it makes figuring out the next move a whole lot easier!

41 - 54 of 54 Posts