Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I am looking for additional brake cooling solutions for my Boxster base. (I got brake overheating troubles during the last DE season.)
After talking with Porsche techs at various shops:

- Porsche dealer denies that there is any kind of issue..

- One shop promotes their air ducting kit at $850 + labor + taxes

- Another shop tells me that larger air scoops ( at $40 a pair and 1/2 hour easy install ) will provide noticeable improvement. What the heck are these parts?? Cant find them online.. :(

The last two also recommend higher grade brake fluid ( Motul 600 ) and Pagid yellow brake pads, something I will do very soon.

Comments? Suggestions?
Thanks
L.

·
Registered
659 Posts
The use of Motel 600 or 660 will go a long way. I change the brake fluid the beginning of track season and again at mid season. I have a 987.2 and it only has front brake ducts, which I changed out to GT-3 ducts. They cost about the same as you were quoted and are a DIY job. Parts from Suncoast.
If you have a dedicated track car, then GT-2 front brake ducts are a very good choice, albeit pricey.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
659 Posts
Sorry I'm not sure of their figment on your 981. Try calling Aldo at Suncoast for his suggestion. Otherwise hopefully someone here will jump in with more info.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Before you spend a lot of $ on special air ducts for the brakes, try some Motul or SRF fluid and the RS29 Pagid pads. I run SRF and the Pagid RS 29 pads and don't have any braking issues. Also, make sure the drilled holes in the rotors are clear of dust so the air can flow through them.

Since you have the base and don't have PTV, you may not have rear ducts; this is what they look like:
http://www.planet-9.com/981-chat/74433-underbelly.html

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Take the above advice - its correct. Your stock calipers are plenty big enough and the rotors are decent as well - although the holes and cracking can get annoying, then frightening.

We have rotors for that app :)

·
PCA Member and DE Instructor
3,078 Posts
Way too much info is missing for good help.

Where you instructed and what did your instructor tell you?
Did you use all the nannies?
What group were you in and how did it relate to other groups regarding order?
Etc.
Etc.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone for the details.

@lemon: Thanks a lot!
@mike: The 981 has scoops on the rear brakes. Somewhat smaller that the front ones.
@amdeutsch: I am looking for solutions for brakes overheating. How is that related to who were my DE instructors three years ago ? And Nannies???

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
A lot of brake heat issues apart from the obvious things like fluid and pads have to do with driving style and your level of expertise, track, etc, etc.
I've done a lot of brake stuff to my 981S. Front GT3 fenderliners with the additional air duct. 991S calipers in front and the Giro 350mm rotor which has more mass and more cooling vanes.
The rears are OEM calipers with the Giro 325mm rotors. The rears still get a little hot but the fronts are just fine. If I were to do it all over again, I would put the PCCB calipers all around with the Giro 350mm rotors. That would take care of any brake heating issues you would ever encounter but that comes with a steep price tag. Live and learn. You may never have to go that far. Good luck!

·
PCA Member and DE Instructor
3,078 Posts
A lot of brake heat issues apart from the obvious things like fluid and pads have to do with driving style and your level of expertise, track, etc, etc.
Exactly. And its also one of the first things nobody thinks of themselves or wants to hear, be told.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts