Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Those of you who have several thousand miles on your car did you notice an increase in power, etc. after the first 2K miles or so?

·
On Probation
582 Posts
i,m at 5k and still waiting for power

·
Registered
358 Posts
Not really, but once broken in don't be afraid to drive the car in the RPM range where it makes the most power. Up there you can get in trouble fast on the streets. That loud growling noise it makes means the engine is doing what it's made to do :)

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
Over 4500kms I did notice better low end torque. Either I just got used to getting the most of the engine or the car improved. In any case I'm enjoying it a lot more.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Mine seemed to get smoother after 5 or 6 thousand miles. It's hard to describe, actually, but smoother is the best word I can come up with.

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
Noticed the same increase in power and smoothness. This new 9A1 engine has not used quart of oil in 9K miles!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Noticed the same increase in power and smoothness. This new 9A1 engine has not used quart of oil in 9K miles!
Interesting you mention the oil issue. I think I read on this forum with the earlier engines that it is not unusual to see a drop in oil level in the first 1K miles---I'm approaching that and it's at the full level. If I was at 9K it would make me a little nervous in that the mechanic at the dealership mentioned they had only one with an oil sensor failure that showed full but ultimately was low and burned up the engine. Having said that the new engine is a different design.

·
Registered
74 Posts
No oil burn in 18,000 mi. Drive it at hi revs all the time. Seems to get faster with age and smoother as someone else posted(or I am just getting used to the sound) either way love the car more now than when first new.:banana:

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
At 1,500 hundred miles, I noticed a distinct change in the car. Everything seemed to loosen up and the engine felt more free-revving. In other thread, someone actually suggested that Porsche had engineered some features into the DME that protects the car during the break-in period. I don't really know about that, but it does seem to get smoother with age.

·
Registered
444 Posts
No oil burn in 18,000 mi. Drive it at hi revs all the time. Seems to get faster with age and smoother as someone else posted(or I am just getting used to the sound) either way love the car more now than when first new.:banana:
This is good to know. I am now at 2500 miles and it loosened up at about between 1200-1500 miles. I drive it like a Posche should be driven.

Like fine wine......it gets better with age.....lol

·
Premium Member
2,528 Posts
I noticed an improvement in gas mileage which I suspect is a result of reduced internal friction as everything wore in. Reduced friction should result in an increase in power output.

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
I noticed an improvement in gas mileage which I suspect is a result of reduced internal friction as everything wore in. Reduced friction should result in an increase in power output.
I'm getting better fuel economy now on the CS than my 2007 Golf GTI DFI :crazy:

·
Registered
570 Posts
6K miles with a couple of track days on my '09 CS. Car needed 1/4 qt right when i bought it (maybe they were being careful not to overfill on the PDI?). No oil consumption at all since. The engine definitely is feeling stronger with more miles. Love this car.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I'm a great believer in the placebo effect, and that actually taking measurements (e.g., on a dyno) is hard work and not something we people are inclined to do. That said, I suppose it's possible the engine has loosened up a little but without a dyno reading, the scientist/engineer in me assumes that it's all our heads ;)

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
It's reduced friction of all the bearing surfaces in the drivetrain and better
sealing of the cylinder/piston interface which gets smoothed out after the
first few hours of running.

When you're breaking in the engine you want to slowly vary the RPM range
and dynamic pressure levels in the cylinders, slowly increaing both over
time. You don't want to get to upper RPM ranges or higher pressures until
over 1000 miles. It helps to do this in very low or ideally no traffic because
you can speed up and slow down without bothering anyone and to your
liking. THe breakin procedure in the manual is just about the worst thing
you can do because if you do what it says, the first time the engine sees
4000, 5000, 6000, 7000, and redline is all at the same time. Very bad.
And it says nothing about cylinder pressure levels (=torque, really). But
the published break-in procedure is too complicated for most. So a proper
one would make everyone get really confused.

I broke in a bike once very
carefully - the first 1000 miles each ride was planned what I would do and
I drove it in sparse traffic so I could achieve what I wanted. Contrast with
a friend who bought an identical bike at the same time. His first act while
riding was to pin his throttle at about 800 RPM and he was redlining his
bike in the first couple miles. Months later he could never beat me in a drag
race, even if he had a better launch. My bike would just walk away from
his every single time.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.