Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently having PSS9 coilovers put on mu 06 CS and I just got a call from the shop that I am going to need aftermarket adjustable tie rods in the rear in order to get the proper toe in the alignment. They said the toe with the stock tie rod can't go less than .22 and I need to have more like .09.

Does this sound right?

Thanks!

·
Administrator
34,474 Posts
If a car is dropped yes it can affect the toe and yes there are aftermarket solutions available. As to the exact numbers obtainable I do not know, but I've wished that 987's came with adjustable ones for a long time... sad that they don't, would likely even help some stock tire wear issues...

·
Registered
294 Posts
Just to clarify for anyone interested... The stock rear toe links -are- adjustable via the infamous eccentric bolt. While I haven't measured, it sure looks like the aftermarket toe links have much more adjustment range than stock.

As to the exact numbers obtainable I do not know, but I've wished that 987's came with adjustable ones for a long time... sad that they don't, would likely even help some stock tire wear issues...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I guess the next question is going to be if I need the bump steer adjustment because the price difference is more or less twice as much for the ones with bump steer adjustment.

·
Registered
620 Posts
FWIW, my car is lowered 1.2" and all toe settings came within spec. If yours is forced out of range, I bet it's not by much at all (unless you're extremely low). Aftermarket ones have more range, but add some noise to street driving. Bump steer is also not bad for the street - if you are dialing the last few tenths of a second on track, then definitely buy aftermarket; if you primarily drive on the street, you'll be fine with stock links and a good alignment. Proper set-up of bump steer will also add significant labor to the alignment job. Regards.

·
Boxster Enthusiast
1,765 Posts
FWIW, my car is lowered 1.2" and all toe settings came within spec. If yours is forced out of range, I bet it's not by much at all (unless you're extremely low). Aftermarket ones have more range, but add some noise to street driving. Bump steer is also not bad for the street - if you are dialing the last few tenths of a second on track, then definitely buy aftermarket; if you primarily drive on the street, you'll be fine with stock links and a good alignment. Proper set-up of bump steer will also add significant labor to the alignment job. Regards.
+1
I have PSS9s and I'm using the stock links.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
+1
I have PSS9s and I'm using the stock links.
Do either of you guys know what your alignment specs are? I do track the car and I am getting a street/track alignment. The shop says the rear toe is maxed out at .22. I don't know exactly how much the PSS9s have lowered it but the top of the tire is at the top of the wheel well.

Left Front : - 1.0 camber, 7.4 caster, .04 toe

Right Front: -1.0 camber, 7.6 caster, .04 toe

0.08 total toe, 0.00 steer ahead

Left Rear: -1.4 camber, 0.09 toe

Right Rear: -1.4 camber, 0.09 toe

0.18 total toe

0.00 thrust angle

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
Do yours adjust for bump steer?

Is the price on your website for a pair or just one?

Our Pro Series Adjustable Toe Links do adjust for bump steer. That is what the multipiece outer section of the toe link allows for. The price on our website is for the pair. Each is constructed with the highest grade components including high strength Aurora rodends.

If you are in the Baltimore/Washington area, we would love to have you stop by for a tour and a chance to get any and all of your Porsche tuning questions answered by the experts! I can put a set of toe links in your hand today for immediate installation.

If you have any questions please feel fre to contact us or just drop by anytime Monday through Friday, 8am-5pm.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts