Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I lowered my 07 CS with H & R springs for the look and the DE track. I use the car for daily xport to work and I can't take the ride and the strange noises that nobody seems to be able to fix. Is there an aftermarket package which is adjustable for comfortable street ride and for DE track?

·
Registered
331 Posts
Sounds like you want the bilstein PSS9 kit. essentially its an aftermarket PASM system thats user controllable and can have the ride height adjusted on the spring perch.

·
Premium Member
2,803 Posts
Sounds like you want the bilstein PSS9 kit. essentially its an aftermarket PASM system thats user controllable and can have the ride height adjusted on the spring perch.
PSS9 is not similar to PASM, as it is not an active suspension system, but a traditional manually adjustable coil-over. The adjustment is not passive, can't be done "on the fly," and is neither quick nor convenient. Most people I know with PSS9 set the valving at the four corners and leave it that way. A few change it for the track. It is a nice setup with a stiffer than stock ride at its softest and a very track capable suspension when tightened up. It will also allow you the drop you seek. If I didn't have PASM, I'd have PSS9 for my daily driver/DE car.

However, there are better solutions for the track, albeit at higher cost.

·
Premium Member
1,614 Posts
The Bilstein solution for PASM equipped cars is the PSS. There is a PSS install article by KManS. Do a search and you will find more info.

Good luck

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Do you only have the H&R Springs? Are you sure you don't have strut-plates? Aftermarket strut plates are basically metal on metal contact, and they will make some noise when going over dips and bumps.

If you want a great street/DE setup, go with PSS9's, set them to 4 or 5 (middle setting), drop the ride height by about 1" - 1.5" inches, and you'll be very happy.

·
Tennessee Vol
649 Posts
Do you only have the H&R Springs? Are you sure you don't have strut-plates? Aftermarket strut plates are basically metal on metal contact, and they will make some noise when going over dips and bumps.

Same question. I have H&R springs. The ride is fine and I did not notice any change in noise.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I have H & R too, 30 mm drop. No problems here. The ride is definetly firmer than stock, but not unpleasant. Was thinking of PSS9, but way more expensive and this is my first Porsche I have modded so taking it one step at a time.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
If my car hadn't come with PASM it would have the Sachs coilovers on it today. I'm still seriously considering the switch.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I had H&R springs for 3000 miles then upgrade to JIC CROSS coilovers. Well worth the extra cost. As for strange noise, you'll get that even with coilovers, mine are 15 way adjustable. when set to 2 they are comfortable as stock suspension, but at 15 they are stiff and the car drives like a go-kart.

·
Crusin worlds most isolated city
3,755 Posts
So if one has PASM, Would this be the next best upgrade:
B16 Damptronic Air lift system from Cargraphics and Bilstein.
Part number: CARGA5C204ALS

As I understand it is goes you the PASM functions, is adjustable, can be lowered and has the lift system. Is that correct?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Intention9,

I am going through the exact same thing at the moment. I have an 06 CS with the H&R springs and can no longer live with them. The ride is horrible and the car feels very unsettled at speed unless the road is extremely smooth.

My car sees 99% street use so I am trying to decide on the right coilovers. I am currently debating between pss9's and JIC Cross. I also checked out TPC's stage 2, but it just has springs and not shocks - I don't think I want to go down that road again. Their Stage 3 seems ideal, but I have no desire to spend that much $$.

I'd be intersted to know what you decide on.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Intention9,

I am going through the exact same thing at the moment. I have an 06 CS with the H&R springs and can no longer live with them. The ride is horrible and the car feels very unsettled at speed unless the road is extremely smooth.

My car sees 99% street use so I am trying to decide on the right coilovers. I am currently debating between pss9's and JIC Cross. I also checked out TPC's stage 2, but it just has springs and not shocks - I don't think I want to go down that road again. Their Stage 3 seems ideal, but I have no desire to spend that much $$.

I'd be intersted to know what you decide on.
Don't forget to also check out the KW V3 setup - I hear good things about it.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Does anyone here have the KW CO set on their car? Please give some feedback? Anyone here actually go from PSS9 or JIC to KW? Or vice versa, I'm looking for comparisons, thanks!

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
As far as a budget system we always recommend the bilstein parts. The standard coilover is "ok", our hotrodded bilstein picks up where they left off.

As far as springs... the Bilstein springs are better rates than any other off the shelf parts out there.

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
PSS9 is not similar to PASM, as it is not an active suspension system, but a traditional manually adjustable coil-over. The adjustment is not passive, can't be done "on the fly," and is neither quick nor convenient. Most people I know with PSS9 set the valving at the four corners and leave it that way. A few change it for the track. It is a nice setup with a stiffer than stock ride at its softest and a very track capable suspension when tightened up. It will also allow you the drop you seek. If I didn't have PASM, I'd have PSS9 for my daily driver/DE car.

However, there are better solutions for the track, albeit at higher cost.
jaica;427335]The Bilstein solution for PASM equipped cars is the PSS. There is a PSS install article by KManS. Do a search and you will find more info.

Current PSS9s come in two varieties. One for non PASM cars and one for PASM cars. The PASM variety is automatically adjustable with the PASM settings in the car. Here is the link on the Tire Rack site--scroll down to the PSS9 section.

Suspension Products for Porsche Cayman S Standard Brakes 2009

·
Premium Member
1,614 Posts
Hi BIC. When you enter the part number for PSS9 for Pasm in the Tire Rack site, at the Bilstein US site you get the description as PSS Damptronics not PSS9. We are talking about the same part number, but they call it PSS9 for PASM in the tire rack site. Bilstein calls it PSS Damptronics.

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
Hi BIC. When you enter the part number for PSS9 for Pasm in the Tire Rack site, at the Bilstein US site you get the description as PSS Damptronics not PSS9. We are talking about the same part number, but they call it PSS9 for PASM in the tire rack site. Bilstein calls it PSS Damptronics.
Jaica,
Right you are! Also for appx $1,200 more on the Bilstein site than at Tire Rack.

:thanks:

·
Registered
361 Posts
are the blisteins constantly adjusting like the stock PASM, or are they two distinct dampening rates using the stock sprot button?

·
Premium Member
3,552 Posts
are the blisteins constantly adjusting like the stock PASM, or are they two distinct dampening rates using the stock sprot button?
This is a great question. I don't know for sure, but from what ive read on the interwebz, bilstein make the PASM shocks for Porsche. Which would lead me to believe that they perform the same way as the OE shocks. Just speculative reasoning though.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts