Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Let me apologise ahead for Long post.

I just recently joined the forum, however I have been reading around the threads and posts for a while now. I have been thinking about buying used 981 Boxster or Cayman (preferably Boxster as more within my Budget and never had convertible before).

Background : I live in Australia. I have made some profits from my investments and I want to use part of it to buy this.

Why : currently I am driving GLA45. while it is a wonderful car, fast and looks nice, the driving experience leaves me desiring more. I used to drive BMW and I feel like I used to enjoy more driving BMW on a downhill twisty roads. Hence I want to buy something with RWD and good driving experience. Also my GLA45 didn’t had a sport exhaust button so if I wanted to make my exhaust “roar” I ended up breaking up speed limit in my state and all states surrounding my state. ? so this time I want to buy NA engine with either 6 or 8 cylinders, so that I can make the engine rev high and enjoy wonderful exhaust note. I checked YouTube videos (I know they can’t be accurate) and it seemed like Maserati granturismo and Porsche do fit into my requirement.

Choices:
1. 2012 Porsche Boxster 46k kilometres $67k - SC package, PSE (private seller and price do not include Govt. Charges, Govt. Charges will put the price around $72k)
2. 2014 Porsche Boxster 41k kilometres $69k - no option included (drive away price from dealer)
2. 2008 Maserati Granturismo 73k kilometres $64k

Now I know Maseratis are known to be plagued with issues and this is a porsche forum so I might get biased opinion, but still I wanted opinion from you guys as I am torn between orgasmic exhaust note of Maserati and reliability (and value retention) of Porsche ?

P.S. my assumption based on sales ad is that Boxster (option 1) will lose approximately $15k over next two years (considering 10k kms per year) and I have budgeted around $10k for repairing in any unlikely even. On the other hand 2008 probably has depreciated fully by now and only gonna lose value based on kilometres added and demand.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have a 2014 Boxster and love every second of driving it. Bought two years ago and has been rock solid in build and reliability so far. I just came back from Italy this week and after 10 days, didn't see a single Maserati Granturismo. We saw Ghiblis, but none of the beautiful GTs. The Granturismo sounds amazing but I think the Porsche is a better choice but I am biased obviously.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Utterly different cars. The Maserati is a big slug compared to the Boxster, being about 500 kg heavier. I haven't driven the Maserati, but at 1800+ kg it will be like an axe compared to a scalpel. I also to shudder to think of the potential cost of maintaining a 12 year old Italian performance car with 73,000 clicks.

Biased obviously, but get the Boxster. Very few people regret buying a Porsche.

·
Premium Member
34,216 Posts
The Maserati is a gorgeous car, the exhaust note is tremendous, and the interior is amazing. But the boxsters are completely different cars so I cannot see how you can make a realistic comparison.

My only concern with the Maserati is the depreciation curves on them are staggering (-50k in 2 years, -100k in 4 years) makes me really question their reliability. I just checked a local craigslist and a 2008 2 door coupe with 76k miles is going for $27kUSD so I am not sure about your depreciation curve (there are several 2-3YO models for sale in the $55k range). And as you note, service will likely be needed and is likely expensive.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Riffz, as an Australian who has recently purchased a Boxster I'll offer the following.

I've never driven a Maserati, nor did I consider one when I started test driving for another car. The problem with a car like this in Oz is finding someone who is competent to work on them that won't send you broke. There are so few around that you only option will most likely be the dealership. This may be convenient for you depending on where you live, but it will be expensive. There will be lots that requires fixing on a car that age if you want to keep it nice. The sound might be nice, but you will definitely pay for it. I've had mates consider Maseratis in the past and when I talked to them about what it was going to be like to own (not just drive), they went and bought something else.

The Porsche? I've been a BMW owner for many years. I have three in my shed and love them. The Porsche however is definitely a step up. If you like the way a BMW drives on a twisty road, you will seriously love a Boxster. It's surprisingly comfortable for general driving, but the 'scalpel' description used above is absolutely right. It's hard to get the smile off my face sometimes. Roof down, engine screaming, it's what sports car driving is all about. I test drove a new M4 last year, and in my opinion the Boxster is a far nicer car in pretty much every respect except for how fast it is.

With respect to the two cars you list above, I test drove numerous Boxsters prior to my purchase to find out which options I really wanted. I went for an 'S' so I had the go, but not the PSE, as I'm a bit of an old fart and not interested in crazy noise. If you really want to hear the engine scream, I'd go for the one with the sports exhaust, especially since it's a base Boxster.

I'd advocate getting the Porsche pre-purchase inspection done, even for the one from the dealer. I'm assuming it's not from Porsche dealership, so they only care if it lasts the mandatory warranty. My car was purchased from a dealer and I had the full Porsche PPI including the compression test. There were no issues, but it was peace of mind that it hadn't been abused and it was a solid vehicle.

I just had a quick look at carsales and I think I can see the cars you have referenced above. If you are in NSW, I'm just north of Newcastle. If you want to talk more about the Porsche, servicing, etc. send me a PM if you want to talk more.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Maseratis are a beautiful Italian machines, from the outside. Interior lacks a little, but the engine sound is one of the best. However, if you think about tracking the car, or really beating on it on the twisties, that will be a no go, car is way to heavy, those brakes will get destroyed and will cost a arm and leg since its basically a Ferarri owned car. It is also very unreliable. Although it does depreciate fast, that is also good for you to get your hands on one for a cheap price, and as long as you dont plan on selling it in couple years then you would be good to go.

I had the same dilemma, but I do plan on using the car on the track, and Maserati just does not handle the track well at all. I say go with a Boxster S. Mines getting delivered today! I bought one on Monday. 2013.

Goood luck!

·
Vendor
6,504 Posts
I would take exhaust note from Maserati any day for my Boxster! Other than that... As other people said - it's different cars. Maserati is a big tourer, Boxster is as close to a proper sports car as you can get, this side of Lotus Elise( in affordable price range). You mentioned twisty roads. That's where Boxster shines.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Collecting opinions is never the way to answer these sorts of questions. Get out there and experience both (if possible) and figure out which is right for you. This isn't a matter of the cars but you. They're very different cars as others have already pointed out. I love the sound of the Maserati GT but it's definitely not the car for me. It's fun in the twisties that matter for me and that's why we have a sports car like the 981 versus a tourer. Given what you've posted, how is PSE not on your must-have list?

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
If sound is so important that you would consider, in the same sentence, a Maserati Granturismo and a Porsche Boxster, then I have only one advice for you : do NOT buy a Porsche without PSE. What you don't know yet, with PSE, that car will have 4 distinct settings for sound, not 2. It can go from almost mimicking low V8 rumble at low revs in no SPORT and no PSE setting all the way to hair raising wail at 7,500 rpm in SPORT with PSE on. SPORT button significantly changes sound as well, so with PSE button you will have 4 settings - more than enough for every mood you might be in.

Good luck with your search.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I wouldn't touch a Maserati. No dealer network of any significance.
The Boxster prices sound high, even for an S

Makes me glad I kept my '13 981

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hi,

Let me apologise ahead for Long post.

I just recently joined the forum, however I have been reading around the threads and posts for a while now. I have been thinking about buying used 981 Boxster or Cayman (preferably Boxster as more within my Budget and never had convertible before).

Background : I live in Australia. I have made some profits from my investments and I want to use part of it to buy this.

Why : currently I am driving GLA45. while it is a wonderful car, fast and looks nice, the driving experience leaves me desiring more. I used to drive BMW and I feel like I used to enjoy more driving BMW on a downhill twisty roads. Hence I want to buy something with RWD and good driving experience. Also my GLA45 didn’t had a sport exhaust button so if I wanted to make my exhaust “roar” I ended up breaking up speed limit in my state and all states surrounding my state. ? so this time I want to buy NA engine with either 6 or 8 cylinders, so that I can make the engine rev high and enjoy wonderful exhaust note. I checked YouTube videos (I know they can’t be accurate) and it seemed like Maserati granturismo and Porsche do fit into my requirement.

Choices:
1. 2012 Porsche Boxster 46k kilometres $67k - SC package, PSE (private seller and price do not include Govt. Charges, Govt. Charges will put the price around $72k)
2. 2014 Porsche Boxster 41k kilometres $69k - no option included (drive away price from dealer)
2. 2008 Maserati Granturismo 73k kilometres $64k

Now I know Maseratis are known to be plagued with issues and this is a porsche forum so I might get biased opinion, but still I wanted opinion from you guys as I am torn between orgasmic exhaust note of Maserati and reliability (and value retention) of Porsche ?

P.S. my assumption based on sales ad is that Boxster (option 1) will lose approximately $15k over next two years (considering 10k kms per year) and I have budgeted around $10k for repairing in any unlikely even. On the other hand 2008 probably has depreciated fully by now and only gonna lose value based on kilometres added and demand.
Past 2008CS & 2014CS owner who worked about a year at the local Maserati, Porsche dealer fetching/delivering customer vehicles. Drove all kinds of Porsche and Maserati models/years durning this part time gig. Between runs, time to chat with the magicians who serviced these autos. Mostly I did the long haul drives - 2 hours to 10 hour round trip. My exposure to the Maserati GT vs the Cayman, you will be much better served by the Cayman due to reliability, resale, driving enjoyment and cost of ownership. I never took a Maserati back to a customer when the service bill was under $1,000 USD.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Now I know Maseratis are known to be plagued with issues and this is a porsche forum so I might get biased opinion, but still I wanted opinion from you guys as I am torn between orgasmic exhaust note of Maserati and reliability (and value retention) of Porsche.
You need to drive both, and drive plenty of other cars besides. Someone facing this dilemma with uncertainty is someone who doesn't have enough experience with sports cars in general or with Porsche and Maserati in particular.

No disrespect at all intended, just trying to help you avoid making a mistake. Neither of these cars is for everyone. Any opinion other than "Drive both, then decide" is invalid.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks all for your response. Appreciate your help and sorry for replying so late, had been crazy busy for last few days.

But it seems few new contenders have appeared, Jaguar F-Type and Aston Martin V8 Vantage. I am planning to test drive Boxster, maser GT, Jaguar F-Type and Aston Martin V8 Vantage (love the looks and interior).

Is there anyone here who had owned or know someone who owned above listed cars in different point of life or owning one now? If possible please share your experience. I have already found someone in this forum who has Boxster, now I need someone with AM V8V and Jag F-Type.

Riffz, as an Australian who has recently purchased a Boxster I'll offer the following.

I've never driven a Maserati, nor did I consider one when I started test driving for another car. The problem with a car like this in Oz is finding someone who is competent to work on them that won't send you broke. There are so few around that you only option will most likely be the dealership. This may be convenient for you depending on where you live, but it will be expensive. There will be lots that requires fixing on a car that age if you want to keep it nice. The sound might be nice, but you will definitely pay for it. I've had mates consider Maseratis in the past and when I talked to them about what it was going to be like to own (not just drive), they went and bought something else.

The Porsche? I've been a BMW owner for many years. I have three in my shed and love them. The Porsche however is definitely a step up. If you like the way a BMW drives on a twisty road, you will seriously love a Boxster. It's surprisingly comfortable for general driving, but the 'scalpel' description used above is absolutely right. It's hard to get the smile off my face sometimes. Roof down, engine screaming, it's what sports car driving is all about. I test drove a new M4 last year, and in my opinion the Boxster is a far nicer car in pretty much every respect except for how fast it is.

With respect to the two cars you list above, I test drove numerous Boxsters prior to my purchase to find out which options I really wanted. I went for an 'S' so I had the go, but not the PSE, as I'm a bit of an old fart and not interested in crazy noise. If you really want to hear the engine scream, I'd go for the one with the sports exhaust, especially since it's a base Boxster.

I'd advocate getting the Porsche pre-purchase inspection done, even for the one from the dealer. I'm assuming it's not from Porsche dealership, so they only care if it lasts the mandatory warranty. My car was purchased from a dealer and I had the full Porsche PPI including the compression test. There were no issues, but it was peace of mind that it hadn't been abused and it was a solid vehicle.

I just had a quick look at carsales and I think I can see the cars you have referenced above. If you are in NSW, I'm just north of Newcastle. If you want to talk more about the Porsche, servicing, etc. send me a PM if you want to talk more.
Thanks. I will take that offer, I will send you pm to discuss about it. ?

Collecting opinions is never the way to answer these sorts of questions. Get out there and experience both (if possible) and figure out which is right for you. This isn't a matter of the cars but you. They're very different cars as others have already pointed out. I love the sound of the Maserati GT but it's definitely not the car for me. It's fun in the twisties that matter for me and that's why we have a sports car like the 981 versus a tourer. Given what you've posted, how is PSE not on your must-have list?
Who said it isn’t in my must have list? ? I am also trying to see if I can get SC and PSE together, which is kind of hard. I see most people get with SC but no PSE. I Guess a lot of people either prefer quiet car or it is already loud enough, in which case PSE option becomes even more attractive to me ?

Now I know Maseratis are known to be plagued with issues and this is a porsche forum so I might get biased opinion, but still I wanted opinion from you guys as I am torn between orgasmic exhaust note of Maserati and reliability (and value retention) of Porsche.
You need to drive both, and drive plenty of other cars besides. Someone facing this dilemma with uncertainty is someone who doesn't have enough experience with sports cars in general or with Porsche and Maserati in particular.

No disrespect at all intended, just trying to help you avoid making a mistake. Neither of these cars is for everyone. Any opinion other than "Drive both, then decide" is invalid.
None taken. I agree with you and I really don’t have any experience with sports cars, this will be my first proper sports car, which is why I am being extra cautious. I am planning to do some test drives soon, it is just I have really busy last few days. But the problem is the cars I liked are in another state, Victoria state, so I plan to decide on 3-4 cars then go there to drive and buy the one I like most. I am just trying to sort list the Brands I will have a test drive on. But Even if I don’t buy Maserati, I still plan to have a test drive.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Kind of makes me proud how considered the responses are in a PORSCHE forum!

I drove every roadster I could find, then tried a 981. Everything else felt like junk in comparison. Porsche engineering is brilliant. 981's are small and light compared to anything else you're looking at. If you want handling, there is no substitute. If you just want a luxury (touring) ride, there are many options.

There are TONS of car comparisons on YouTube. I cannot remember one where a 981 didn't win.

Only caveat would be know what spec you want. No two P-cars are identical.

·
Registered
45 Posts
IME, Maserati's are junk.

I'd buy a Porsche all day over a Maserati.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I wouldn't touch Maserati, Jaguar, Range Rovers, Aston Martin, McLaren, Fiat, American car, horrible reliability and horrible stories out there and personal stories as well.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts