Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am an aspiring Porsche owner and have my eyes on a CPO Macan S. I have several questions:

1) Is 80K kms (50K miles) very high mileage for a 2016 Macan S considering future remaining life & reliability. I intend to run the car for a long time.
2) If the CPO does not come with Air Suspension & PASM, what other aftermarket options are there to get similar functionality? What should be my budget for this?
3) Is getting a COBB tune a good idea on such a used vehicle. I am looking to get performance equivalent to the GTS after the upgrade
4) Is C$46K (US$36K) reasonable for a Macan S specced as above. Almost a base Macan S with Premium Plus Package but no performance upgrades.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
897 Posts
I just purchased a 2017 Macan S about 6 months ago for $41,500 USD, the car had 41,000. miles, a clean CarFaX, all services were up to date, new brakes on all 4 wheels, 4 brand new Pirelli all season tires and is covered by CPO until 2023. See the link for my build sheet - for me it’s equipped very nicely the only thing missing IMO is apple CarPlay.

The CPO in the US comes with unlimited mileage and I only plan to keep the car 2 years so i felt I got in cheap - my plan is to upgrade to a CPO 2018 Turbo Macan for the PASM and air ride suspension. My plan with the Macan was to get in cheap to see if I liked it and what options are really important to me. The standard suspension is good and I have no complaints about it but I’m at that stage in life where I feel like I deserve a Turbo and all the luxury it provides.

When I looked at it I was a bit concerned about the mileage but my SA ( whom sold me other Porsches said don’t let the mileage concern you ) - I put on about 8,000 trouble free miles and couldn’t be happier.

1 - I don’t think the mileage is particularly high for a 2016 but you state you plan to keep the car for a long time so you might consider a 2017 or 2018 for the few extra years of CPO coverage.

2 - I perso see no advantage in going with after market suspension as it may void parts of your CPO warrant. IMO Porsche suspension performs very well and I’m not big on modifying cars, others will disagree with me so this is just my opinion.

3 - Probably wouldn’t do a COBB Tune as I’d be afraid of losing my CPO coverage.

4 - The price seems reasonable but I’m not an expert on the Canadian market and pricing.

Finally, from your comments regarding PASM, Air suspension and tuning you might be better off searching for a CPO Macan Turbo.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just purchased a 2017 Macan S about 6 months ago for $41,500 USD, the car had 41,000. miles, a clean CarFaX, all services were up to date, new brakes on all 4 wheels, 4 brand new Pirelli all season tires and is covered by CPO until 2023. See the link for my build sheet - for me it’s equipped very nicely the only thing missing IMO is apple CarPlay.

The CPO in the US comes with unlimited mileage and I only plan to keep the car 2 years so i felt I got in cheap - my plan is to upgrade to a CPO 2018 Turbo Macan for the PASM and air ride suspension. My plan with the Macan was to get in cheap to see if I liked it and what options are really important to me. The standard suspension is good and I have no complaints about it but I’m at that stage in life where I feel like I deserve a Turbo and all the luxury it provides.

When I looked at it I was a bit concerned about the mileage but my SA ( whom sold me other Porsches said don’t let the mileage concern you ) - I put on about 8,000 trouble free miles and couldn’t be happier.

1 - I don’t think the mileage is particularly high for a 2016 but you state you plan to keep the car for a long time so you might consider a 2017 or 2018 for the few extra years of CPO coverage.

2 - I perso see no advantage in going with after market suspension as it may void parts of your CPO warrant. IMO Porsche suspension performs very well and I’m not big on modifying cars, others will disagree with me so this is just my opinion.

3 - Probably wouldn’t do a COBB Tune as I’d be afraid of losing my CPO coverage.

4 - The price seems reasonable but I’m not an expert on the Canadian market and pricing.

Finally, from your comments regarding PASM, Air suspension and tuning you might be better off searching for a CPO Macan Turbo.
Thanks. The 2017s are not yet available as people will start doing their 3 year lease returns this year. I think if I can get a CPO with PASM then that's my best bet going by your example.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Is it the black one at Pfaff? If so, It has air suspension and PASM. Put the VIN in at
VIN Analytics and you will get the build sheet.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is it the black one at Pfaff? If so, here is the build sheet. It has air suspension and PASM
That is one option but Pfaff are very strict with their pricing. To me it doesn't make sense to pay $46K + shipping to BC (which is of course my cost to bear) for a 82K driven vehicle even if it's a Porsche. I cannot buy a new one for sure but for a car driven 80K+ I would want to pay around $40K otherwise I might have to settle for some other brand :(

·
Registered
897 Posts
You might want to post a link to the vehicle(s) your looking at along with the VIN # so people here can make specific comments about that particular car.

You can look at the build sheets by typing in the VIN on this website:

There seems to be a lot of CPO Macans in the US for sale you can search for them here - I’m not sure if its feasible for you to import a CPO car from the US.

good Luck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You might want to post a link to the vehicle(s) your looking at along with the VIN # so people here can make specific comments about that particular car.

You can look at the build sheets by typing in the VIN on this website:

There seems to be a lot of CPO Macans in the US for sale you can search for them here - I’m not sure if its feasible for you to import a CPO car from the US.

good Luck.
Thank you and apologies for not sharing the build # earlier. I just joined the forum and getting used to the best practices. I explored importing from US but given the current ex.rate and the province I am in, it will end up costing more if I import.
My other thought it to possibly wait for the electric Macan to be announced (supposedly later this year) as that will probably drive down the prices for gas Macans. This is of course just a guess but I also might be in a position to order a new Macan if the price is around C$70K.

·
Super Moderator
13,993 Posts
My other thought it to possibly wait for the electric Macan to be announced (supposedly later this year) as that will probably drive down the prices for gas Macans. This is of course just a guess but I also might be in a position to order a new Macan if the price is around C$70K.
Do you know the last time, and probably only time, Porsche decreased the price of a new car across model years? I think that happened 21 years ago for the 996. You might want to reassess your thinking. ;) Nothing goes down in price. Everything goes up.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Do you know the last time, and probably only time, Porsche decreased the price of a new car across model years? I think that happened 21 years ago for the 996. You might want to reassess your thinking. ;) Nothing goes down in price. Everything goes up.
That's right. I was thinking of the base version. Right now the base Macan with no options starts from $55K MSRP. If a newer electric starts @ 60K for base model, then with some options it will go up to $70K. That was my thought process behind the assumed amount but looking at Taycan, they will start with the 'Turbo' first and then come down to base model later so I will have to re-assess my decision

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
...and waiting for a new Porsche to become available will make you grow old rather quickly.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
...and waiting for a new Porsche to become available will make you grow old rather quickly.
Seems there is a lot to know about Porsche World for a newcomer. I have a hard time convincing myself to wait even now knowing that there are a few good CPOs out there. I am trying hard to stay disciplined with my strategy but I am sure I will not be able to wait longer than mid-summer as my wife is travelling out of country :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Silly me, I did not ask the most pressing question. My brother is driving a Stelvio (not Quadrifoglio but the TI I believe). He tested the Macan too but is discouraging me from buying it as he says it is not a lot more than a re-badged Audi.
Having Googled I do know the 2016-2017s were based off of shared platform but will I be just paying for the badge or is there an actual difference that warrants the premium price. When I say premium, I am being relative. Also, I tried out 2019 Macan S last weekend and due to a lot of traffic I could not really 'stress test' it the way I wanted to but it felt nice. Have not tried the Q/SQ5 so I do not know if there is a marked difference.

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
Silly me, I did not ask the most pressing question. My brother is driving a Stelvio (not Quadrifoglio but the TI I believe). He tested the Macan too but is discouraging me from buying it as he says it is not a lot more than a re-badged Audi.
Having Googled I do know the 2016-2017s were based off of shared platform but will I be just paying for the badge or is there an actual difference that warrants the premium price. When I say premium, I am being relative. Also, I tried out 2019 Macan S last weekend and due to a lot of traffic I could not really 'stress test' it the way I wanted to but it felt nice. Have not tried the Q/SQ5 so I do not know if there is a marked difference.
A Macan and an SQ5 are markedly different to drive, which a quick test drive would show. Only you can decide whether you believe there is value for you in a Macan that isn't there in a SQ5. A Stelvio? Even if the car was desirable to me (it's not, in any way) an owner needs to have a relationship an Alfa dealer, which in many places in Canada is the Ferrari/Maserati dealer as well. I'd rather take a bus than deal with that crew.

With so many used Macans out there, I'd hold out for one slightly newer so there's additional warranty, and shoot for something with less miles. Decide what options you want, your mileage limit and price range, then shop the Porsche dealer inventory every day.

·
Registered
897 Posts
I test drove an SQ5 and the Macan S and I obviously choose the Macan for several reasons:

Macan had better steering feel, brakes, build quality was nicer, better driving ergonomics, plenty of power plus I was more familiar with the Porsche brand as I have a Cayman GTS. The Macan drives more like a car than a CUV compared to SQ5. Theres a few other reasons I chose the Macan - my Porsche SA is a pleasure to deal with - I call him tell him what I’m interested in - he says stop by and has a few cars lined up for me to test out. Once I decide on the car I want he gives me a price I’m happy with and asks me what I think my trade is worth and we have a deal in 5 minutes. Also, he invites my to Porsche track experiences at a local race track where I get to test a variety of cars on a closed circuit. I had the opportunity to test various 991 and 992 911’s, Panamera Sport Turismo, 911 T and the 718 Caymans.

The pluses of the SQ5 are more tech if you’re into that - I’m not as I prefer to concentrate on the driving experience. The SQ5 is cheaper.

I am familiar with the Audi brand as I has an S3 for a few years which I traded in on my Cayman GTS.
You might find more comparison info here:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts