Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Borlafide member of Northeast Group
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a little insight and maybe you guys can help out

I had a set of cheap 17inch rims with Blizzaks and recently got a new set of rims...Porsche 5 spoke steel rims also 17inch. I replaced the rear tires with Blizzaks and moved my front tires from the old to the new rims since they had a decent amount of tread left. So I have blizzaks on all four corners. I took my summer tires/wheels off as I do each year along with my spacers and uploaded my new rims and tires (they have been balanced) and are currently at 32psi for front and 37 for the rear.

For some reason this set up doesn't feel safe on the highway or when cornering. I get a floaty sensation. I've never experienced this with my previous snow tire/rim package before so I'm wondering what might be going on. This weekend just to check, I put my summer tires back on and all was right with the world.

What might be going on?

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Those tire pressures sound like they are for your summer 19s. I'm thinking the pressure for 17's should be lower but not 100% sure. Worth checking.:cheers:

·
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
they are and I've tried both lowering them and raising them....the higher sidewalls (65 compared to 30) I thought would need more air pressure to keep them from feeling soft (or so I have read)

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
I'd be more helpful if my car wasn't in Florida because it came with 17s versus the 19s that are on it since I've owned it. Therefore the sticker in the door edge has the 17s tire pressures listed. Headed South on Saturday again so if you haven't sorted it out by then I'll check and let you know what the placard says.

I also read somewhere that new tires have some type of mold release compound on them that needs to wear off. That compound apparently does introduce some "skitishness" until it wears off. That shouldn't take more than a 100 miles or so I would think. Keep me posted.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I also read somewhere that new tires have some type of mold release compound on them that needs to wear off. That compound apparently does introduce some "skitishness" until it wears off. That shouldn't take more than a 100 miles or so I would think. Keep me posted.
Yes new tyres have a releasing agent on them which is used to extract them from the moulds. It can indeed make them feel very skitish and I have experienced some tyres that have taken as much as 4-500 miles before they are giving their best.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Which Blizzaks are on the car? LM versions are performance winters and will retain a measure of handling...other Blizzaks will provide better snow and and traction, but will feel soft and imprecise, especially at high speed and during manoeuvres that cause the sidewalls to flex.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
blizzaks are like that
+1, on snow tires in general. This is why I put them on as late as possible and take them off as early as possible -- I don't feel that, even in normal driving, I have the excess grip I'd prefer to have for emergencies.

If I lived, hmmm, maybe 75-100 miles further south, I'd be tempted to not use them at all.

BTW, not sure how to answer on the OP's experience with previous sets of winter tires.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I'm using Pirelli winter tires in one size smaller and don't feel a floaty sensation at all. The tires feel very stable. I also had no runlet with the previous Michelin winter rubber. I know this sounds sill but are you going into the menu and changing the setting from summer to winter?

+1, on snow tires in general. This is why I put them on as late as possible and take them off as early as possible -- I don't feel that, even in normal driving, I have the excess grip I'd prefer to have for emergencies.

If I lived, hmmm, maybe 75-100 miles further south, I'd be tempted to not use them at all.

BTW, not sure how to answer on the OP's experience with previous sets of winter tires.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Michelin Alpin PA4's - one size LARGER than stock .. Delivers the winter tire performance that you require, with all the 30-40'ish degree sport driving performance that your hoping for. I ruminated over which winter tire setup to get for some time, checking every resource that I could find. The fitment that I eventually went with was not recommended by any advisor. 245/35R19 and 285/35R19 I've had it in the snow and freezing rain with great results and it feels grippy as hell in the dry. On my way from Long Island up to New Paltz where I climb and hike, I pass through all of these conditions on a single trip. The right winter setup isn't cheap but enjoying your car daily is a nice payoff.

Hope that you get hooked up .. enjoy.

·
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Okay I finally broke down (not literally) and had my area shop take my car out for a drive this morning. He experienced the same thing so he pulled it right into a lift and started checking. Turns out the tie rods are starting to wear. The wheel moved ever so slightly when trying to apply a side-to-side rocking motion. Right away I could tell that was the play in the wheel causing the floaty feeling at highway speeds.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Sounds like you're getting it sorted out. With all your money I'm surprised you didn't take it right to the dealer and trade it for a new one. Hope everything is good up there for you eskimos.:cheers:

·
Registered
786 Posts
Like others have mentioned the winter tires are not going to feel like your summer tires. They are going to squirm a little on the dry roads. The realease compound does come into play but normally that is gone within 400 mile or so. In driving winter tires on sports cars for the last 20 years I will say that the squirmy feeling tends to go away as you get used to the tires.
If I can help let me know.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Run em at 39 PSI front and rear.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts