Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm looking to purchase a 2009 Cayman S and need some advice. Not a noob, had owned a 2007 S for some time.

When I first test drove it there was a loud whop whop/hum sound ( best description) from the rear of the car. Changes with speed, as in, gets louder with speed. I had the owner replace the tires with Continental D+W, which are silent on my other car) and noise is still there. Its not a low mileage car, around 45K. I had a gen 1 Cayman s with Pilot SS and had no tire noise at all.

I suspected it was tire noise with this 2009 car, however the noise is still there albeit a bit less. I am now concerned it may be something else, even though an indy mech is not indicating anything wrong... Do not know indy at all, car is not near my house so long drive to get there. Car has no CPO.

Any advice would be super appreciated!

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
I had a damaged rear wheel bearing that was pretty noisy for a long time before I realized it wasn't normal. My indy, on my first visit, drove the car for 2 minutes and came back and said, this has a bad wheel bearing. My dealer who serviced it during the entire 4 year warranty period never said a thing. Had it fixed by the indy and it's been great ever since. Worth having it checked for that. It can even happen by hitting a curb a little too hard, which I assume the previous owner of my car must have done.:cheers:

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Also have a quick look at the half shafts (axles). Something may be wrapped around one of them, slapping the underside of the car with each rotation.

·
Registered
16 Posts
i just bought a used Cayman R, my first ever Porsche, and I feel like I have possibly abnormal wind noise coming from the rear hatch. it sounds like whooshing coming from behind the engine (I think) that gets louder with speed. At high speeds, it just sounds like when I used to have a 4 dr sedan and i'd slit open just one of the rear windows. Kind of like that buffeting wind noise. i'm considering having it looked at. Although maybe its because the Cayman r is a little more stripped. I don't really know because as I said, my first Porsche. I wonder if we're hearing the same noise.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the feedback!

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i just bought a used Cayman R, my first ever Porsche, and I feel like I have possibly abnormal wind noise coming from the rear hatch. it sounds like whooshing coming from behind the engine (I think) that gets louder with speed. At high speeds, it just sounds like when I used to have a 4 dr sedan and i'd slit open just one of the rear windows. Kind of like that buffeting wind noise. i'm considering having it looked at. Although maybe its because the Cayman r is a little more stripped. I don't really know because as I said, my first Porsche. I wonder if we're hearing the same noise.
Does not sound like wind noise, however thanks for sharing!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts