Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!!

I just purchased a new 2009 Cayman S, it only had 115 km on it when i purchased it in February. The car now has close to 900 kms on it now. this past Saturday i noticed a slight ticking noise while i was at a friends house. I looked up a few posts regarding this ticking noise and that lifters can cause this. When i asked my Porsche service tech about this he had said you need to drive the car more. it still has less than 1k km on it so he doubts that could be the issue. I just want to see what everyone else thinks?

Other than that... me loves my car

·
On Probation
582 Posts
does it make more noise on cold start up/hot start up/ just at hot idle /at fast idle/ did you check oil level /did dealer hear it /got milk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oil level is fine, i do think it is louder when it is cold, i took it out for a nice 3 hr highway drive on Saturday and when i was parking it in my garage i could still faintly hear it. I have not taken it yet to the dealer, he said if the problem persists then make an appt and they will check it

and thanks for the quick response!

·
PCA / POC Member & Club Donor
1,928 Posts
No sure it applies on the 09+ cars, but on the 06 to 08 cars this small ticking is often the variocam actuator. It can be tested with the PIWIS.

Cheers,

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for all your responses. I think i am going to try to drive it to work for a couple of days to see if that helps. Like k-man sez if it blows then i will know that was the problem, if the ticking persists i will take it in anyway.

Again thanks for all your input =)

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
My engine is making a ticking noise again, I think it might be another faulty lifter, need to get it in and have it inspected, or if it blows up then yeah I'll know there was a problem. ;)
Ken:
How loud is your ticking? Does it happen at start up or after driving?

I had a noise develop after winter hibernation--after driving for 30 minutes--that was pretty loud. I've attached a link with a noise that was very similar.
YouTube - Porsche Boxster - Engine Noise

After repeated 30 minute drives, the noise is down to barely noticeable but still there. i don't hear anything at start up.

I had it in to the dealer with the mechanic listening with a stethoscope and he thought it was a collapsed lifter that had refilled with oil. Very common according to him.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 09 CS that has had a ticking sound since new from the drivers side it was driving me crazy. After 3 visits to dealership complaining and after consulting with Porsche they finally isolated the problem.

A BAD fuel pump which will cause a ticking sound. I thought is was lifters or something in the cam system. When the fuel pump was replaced it's very quite in the cockpit as it should be.

Hopes this helps someone because i was ready to sell the car......

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 09 CS that has had a ticking sound since new from the drivers side it was driving me crazy. After 3 visits to dealership complaining and after consulting with Porsche they finally isolated the problem.

A BAD fuel pump which will cause a ticking sound. I thought is was lifters or something in the cam system. When the fuel pump was replaced it's very quite in the cockpit as it should be.

Hopes this helps someone because i was ready to sell the car......

I'm looking to buy a 2006 Boxster S. Saw the car a few days ago. Looks great, but it has this odd ticking sound in the engine. If I decide to buy, I'll take for a PPI first.

https://youtu.be/A6jJ4cSIQXc

Before I go to the PPI, any suggestions what this might be?

·
Registered
810 Posts
bberdy said:
I'm looking to buy a 2006 Boxster S. Saw the car a few days ago. Looks great, but it has this odd ticking sound in the engine. If I decide to buy, I'll take for a PPI first.
bberdy said:
https://youtu.be/A6jJ4cSIQXc

Before I go to the PPI, any suggestions what this might be?
Yep, believe it or not a loose spark plug will make that exact noise, try checking them.
I have the exact same noise in my car (2010 987.2S, 120k miles) that I *think* I've tracked to a cracked coil pack but can't say for sure due to the intermittent nature of the issue.

I was having some problems last winter with PDK going into safe mode and ocassionally throwing a misfire code that I tracked to misfires in cylinder 2. I suspect the misfires were causing unexpected drag on the transmission and caused the PDK code. Codes included misfire and also communication errors with the coil pack. I swapped coil packs on cylinders 2 & 3 to see if the problem followed the coil pack or stayed in cylinder 2... and nothing. Just swapping coils seemed to fix it: car drove great, never had another misfire. Until, that is, a year later (earlier this month) where I started having the same problems, this time on cylinder 3. The sound was IDENTICAL to your youtube. And then it went away within a few days before I had time to do anything about it. The pattern is that it seems to happen when my car has been sitting undriven for a while, and then goes away. I've not yet replaced the coil pack, but my car is no longer making those noises and I'll probably procrastinate until it gets worse because coil packs are expensive. Or maybe I'll do it the next plug change anyway, that's coming up soon, too.

Regardless, I'm interested to hear what you find about this car.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I had a ticking sound in my 2011 Cayman. Switching to Royal Purple 0 - 40W (had been using Mobile 1) eliminated the noise immediately and I have not heard it since.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts