Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

Any advice is appreciated, purchased a CPO 2015 981 GTS.

The car is mechanically / aesthetically perfect, except for an oddity.... there is some insulating strips / foam bits in between the plastic molding surrounding the rear storage bins behind the driver & passenger seats. There is also, although a tiny amount, of the same foam under the left & right side of the hatch glass.

I thought this was just maybe a Porsche defect, but when I took it for service they told me that those strips were not factory, it must've been added by the previous owner. I had a slight rattling issue behind the driver's seat, and when I placed my hand on one the plastic lid of the storage box, the rattling stops. I tucked in the insulating pieces you see in the picture, so it's actually cleaner looking than before. It does seem to fix the rattling but might have been circumstantial.

Here's a picture showing this:

1) What would you do? Remove all those bits and see if there's rattling issues and try to address it cleanly? Tuck it in and adjust as needed?

2) Can't figure out why there's some under the left and right side of the rear hatch glass, included 2 shots in the images. Removed 1 one inch chunk that was loose.

3) Ever seen anything like this?

Any advice is appreciated! Thanks

·
Registered
846 Posts
I would agree that it is not factory. If it were my car, to the extent that It were possible for me to do it, I would carefully take everything apart and find out why the previous owner felt the need to do that. It could be that during some previous service a clip or two was broken, the owner never told, and then s/he started shoving foam everywhere to try to stop the rattles.

If I could find nothing wrong, then I would do a proper clean job of applying some vibration reducing material in the relevant areas while I put everything back together.

Perfect Winter project...

·
Registered
145 Posts
Once you determine the reason for the foam being added and where it was really needed, McMaster has two tapes in their catalogue that might help with squeaks and rattles...

I've used the noise damping velvet tape successfully...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts