Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Boxster S Manual
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody try these? Any opinions. I don't want to use oiled air filter. Need to replace air filters, trying to decide if go with OEM paper filter or give these dry "synthetic" filters a try?

·
Registered
12 Posts
One could purchase a lot of regular air filters for the price of those. Will still need to be washed , dried , charged and reinstalled .

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Anybody try these? Any opinions. I don't want to use oiled air filter. Need to replace air filters, trying to decide if go with OEM paper filter or give these dry "synthetic" filters a try?

I have been using the dry ones for over 4 years now without issue. Don't do it with any performance or other expectations over stock paper, but I do it just for the convenience of being able to reuse them. I clean them once a year as part of my annual oil change and let them dry overnight before reinstalling

·
Registered
515 Posts
I've been using them for a few years. No problems. Supposed to flow a little bit better than stock. Decided on them because FVD suggests a higher flow filter in conjunction with their headers/tune to extract all available power at the top end. I didn't want an oiled filter. FVD said if the stock filter is not new condition (clean), it will loose top end HP. I figured the AFE would add intake sound and it's cleanable too. Maybe not much difference from stock, but that's what I went with.

·
Registered
596 Posts

FCP Euro buy once , and never have to buy again lifetime warranty.

Even on wear parts? What about oil filters? They'd take a beating

·
Registered
596 Posts
So what does that look like? You have to send an oily cartridge back or a photo? Also what constitutes part exhausted? My filters are changed at years end so that the car doesn't sit with moisture in the case but in reality they are far from used up.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
So what does that look like? You have to send an oily cartridge back or a photo? Also what constitutes part exhausted? My filters are changed at years end so that the car doesn't sit with moisture in the case but in reality they are far from used up.
You buy the new parts then return the old one any way you wish. They credit the purchase of the new part once they receive the old ones back, even for consumables: FCP Euro Lifetime Auto Parts Replacement Guarantee | FCP Euro

·
Registered
34,355 Posts
One could purchase a lot of regular air filters for the price of those. Will still need to be washed , dried , charged and reinstalled .
There is no charging, and all replacements would require installation. I bought two pairs and alternate between them after each track event. Gives me a few weeks to get them washed and dried.

·
Registered
34,355 Posts
Yep . Filters, Oil, brake fluid…
This seems too good to be true. I can imagine that shipping things to them is not cheap but it would still work out for the user in the end. Curious how they would define a free replacement for say a rotor - presumably it would have to be down to a specific thickness? And what happens with consumables when you don't have it all - say brake fluid - will they send a new fresh bottle if you send them only a partially full used bottle?

·
Registered
194 Posts
This seems too good to be true. I can imagine that shipping things to them is not cheap but it would still work out for the user in the end. Curious how they would define a free replacement for say a rotor - presumably it would have to be down to a specific thickness? And what happens with consumables when you don't have it all - say brake fluid - will they send a new fresh bottle if you send them only a partially full used bottle?
As stated above, you order the new part or fluid and once received, ship them the old one via RMA. I doubt that they open the used bottle to see what’s in there…

·
Registered
2014 Cayman S
138 Posts
I've been using them for a few years. No problems. Supposed to flow a little bit better than stock. Decided on them because FVD suggests a higher flow filter in conjunction with their headers/tune to extract all available power at the top end. I didn't want an oiled filter. FVD said if the stock filter is not new condition (clean), it will loose top end HP. I figured the AFE would add intake sound and it's cleanable too. Maybe not much difference from stock, but that's what I went with.
Three years ago I installed aFe headers headers and had an issue with shipping and they sent me their Pro Dry air filters at no charge to rectify the problem. I also installed a Cobb stage 2 tune and PSE exhaust so I felt the additional air flow and the advertised 99.2% filtration was a benefit. I have used K&N oiled filters for over 30 years on all my cars and trucks with good results and had just installed them on my new to me 981CS when aFe shipped their dry filters. The 981's no longer use a MAF sensor and now use MAP (manifold absolute pressure) sensor which is no longer affected by over oiling of a oiled air filter so IMHO either a dry or oiled filter is a good option to an OEM filter. I see above that ICNU does not notice the increased intake sound but I do hear an increased sucking sound on a downshift and also increased intake sound especially with the window down.
Jim

·
Registered
73 Posts
Have just installed a set of BMC Air filters on my 2015 981CS. There is a noticeable difference in breathability, a nice little bump in sharpness of shifts. the induction whoosh is nicer too. Very enjoyable. Yes they ae very lightly oiled and can be washed and recharged - eventually you get the cost down that way. But I am more than pleased with the extra air by car gets now, almost keeps me out of Sport Node (not really, but you get my point). To finish it off, I installed a Soul Exhaust X-Pipe with new tips. All together I am very pleased with how it perked up with no real major modding. Even more fun now.

·
Registered
260 Posts
AFE dry worked fine for me and I got more top end HP as proven by numbers in the standing start mile. On the negative side, I couldn't get the filter element out to wash without doing damage to the filter. So, any potential savings by reusing it were lost.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts