Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Finally ordered my car after drooling over the GTS for a year.

I do have a few questions for you all:

1. Convenience pkg - Does anybody have pictures of the car without the convenience package? Almost every picture I found has the dual-zone AC...

2. Alcantara - Anybody have had alcantara for a few years and can comment on the looks/durability? I've seen a lot of shiny, worn-out alcantara race steering wheels so I'm a bit worried. Debating whether to go all leather...

3. Delivery - Did you guys trust the dealer to wash the car for you? I think they use a power washer and dry the car quickly with some rags right?

The car will arrive next January around my birthday so I have time to change my configuration still.

2016 Sapphire Blue Cayman GTS
GTS interior pkg in rhodium silver
Sport Chassis
PTV
Black Satin Wheels
Smoking pkg
MANUAL

Any help greatly appreciated!

John

·
Registered
475 Posts
That's alot of drool!

Alcantara = no personal experience, but the interior package adds inserts to the seats which are said to keep you from sliding around a bit better. As for the steering wheel, you can get it covered in leather at no cost (option #840. SportDesign Steering Wheel in Leather, this will also replace the alcantera with leather on the shifter)

As for delivery and dealer prep...some have no issues, others have gotten burned and actually asked the dealer to do nothing upon delivery. The buyer went to the dealer and removed all of the wrap, plastic, etc themselves. Up to you.

Solid 'drivers car' build

·
Registered
174 Posts
I think the dual-zone is pretty much a waste in such a small car. I've yet to see or even hear about a 981 without it, though. I got the convenience pack because it has the heated seats, which are great for extending the top-down time into the colder months. In a Cayman the heated seats might not be important.

I would definitely stay with the alcantara. It looks great and distinctive. I've had a BGTS for about a year and 15k miles and the alcantara still looks as good as the leather. You'll put wear and tear on any interior material over time, but the alca is holding up as well as everything else.

I can't tell from your build if you added CDR+ and Bose. If not, you should. CDR+ adds HD radio and a USB port that enables digital control over iphones. Without it, you'll be playing your tunes through a 1980s analog headphone jack. Embarrassing. I'm not sure if you can use Bluetooth to play tunes on the base system (you can with CDR+), but I don't think you can.

Bose isn't the greatest but it's a substantial upgrade over the base system.

Good luck!

Reactions: dorikin_86

·
Registered
648 Posts
If it's the steering wheel that concerns you, it's a 0$ option to make the steering wheel leather instead.

That's what I did. GTS interior kit with silver dial/stitching, but opted for the leather wheel. I think the leather feels nicer in the hands and will probably age better. Alcantara everywhere else.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Most cars I've seen had the dual zone too. The main reason I got it is because of the auto temp feature rather than just fan speed control. Your statement about alcantara is exactly why I went all leather. Having had alcantara in another car, it took some maintenance to keep it looking good. I always opt for no washes from the dealer. Once my car comes in I'm taking it straight to a detailer for a coating to be applied.

·
Premium Member
693 Posts
I'm one of the few that didn't order with Convenience Pkg. Here in SoCal, heated seats are not necessary and with such a small cabin I didn't feel dual zone had much value. Here's a pic:

20529049328_fc0b3126c5_c.jpg

·
Registered
5,484 Posts
Looking like a nice build, coming from a S2000? If yes why not a BGTS as opposed to a CGTS?

Anyway, this is my second 981 build, yes to convenience package once again, we found that the dual-zone AC was a must even in the small cabin, the wife likes it so cold I would freeze with that air blasting at me, with dual zone we can travel winter and summer with our respective sides of the cockpit at the right temperatures.

I had an all leather interior in the last car, the Alcantara will spice it up nicely, I talked to other owners that have this on the wheel and shifter and they said with minimal care it looks awesome for years, I think that it feels better in the hand as well.

So I am a little bolder in the colour department, Dark Blue Metallic with the Full GTS/Alcantara interior with Carmine Red accents! If I could have added Carmine Red Sports Chrono face and speedometer I would have done that too.

As you say lots of time to think about what you want...

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts
The MAIN reason I went with the "convenience package" was to get the "heated seats" --- dual air temperature control is a bit overkill, but it would allow your rider to blow hotter or cooler air on their side -- overall temp zones isn't really possible .

I also did the leather steering wheel -- and it feels great while driving. I was worried that the alcantara steering wheel would get a little too much "oils" needing a lot of cleaning. The alcantara in the seats feel (and for me, look) great.

with respect to having the dealer do the full wash prep -- it really comes down to whether the dealer will do a good job. There is a youtube video by Larry of AMMONYC (I use his detailing products -- he really is over the top cleaning (and self professed) nerd) about doing the Pre-delivery prep. He says, to do it yourself, but, I trusted my dealer and they did a nice job. The car was immaculate at delivery.

Other nice touches on the spec: the smoking package is useful to hook up your batter maintainer (yes, this is a recommended accessory if you intend to have your car in the garage for more than a couple weeks at a time. My 07 Cayman was still on its OEM battery after 7 years when I sold it to get my GTS).

I hate to admit it, but I wish I had ordered the back up camera --- I'm still trying to get used to the limits of the car when reversing! I don't recall if you need to have the "Infotainment" package to get the camera.

You will NOT REGRET ordering the X73 sport suspension -- the ride and handling is great!! PTV is a good option that complements the sport suspension -- nice selections !! I also got the black satin wheels and I think they look great. I'm still experimenting on how best to clean them, but so far, a good detergent and wheel "woolies" seem to be the best. I tried some "Wheel Wax" and found that it left a slight "light colored smear" (--- on aluminum, Wheel Wax works great).. .but overall the black wheels compliment silver --- and my "Racing Yellow"!

ENJOY..
D

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks for taking the pic PJUNK!

Westcoaster - Most likely I'm keeping the S2000 as my track toy since the running costs are so much lower. It'll even do the occasionally top-down canyon run nicely as well. The potential for roof issues (rattle/leak/vandalism) made me want to buy a fixed roof sports car again...I just hope the Cayman doesn't have annoying rattles...

Pandadragon: CDR plus radio looked like a ton of money for convenience so I'm a bit torn...

Porsche options are just evil....

Thanks for all the feedback!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Congrats on a nice car! Don't sweat the radio, just pick up a Bluetooth adapter for the glove box and the T-Design phone holder and you'll be set. I got the leather steering wheel/shifter with my GTS interior package and love the look. I wouldn't add anything else to the car, it's a perfect driver's car as configured. My CGTS does have minor rattles on rough road surface but it's a sports car so I don't sweat it.

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
Dual zone is kinda pointless... but that's not why you get it. Having the auto climate control is worlds better than fiddling with the settings yourself to get to a temperature you want.

Remember that if you don't get the dual zone, you don't get auto control.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Congrats on a nice car! Don't sweat the radio, just pick up a Bluetooth adapter for the glove box and the T-Design phone holder and you'll be set. I got the leather steering wheel/shifter with my GTS interior package and love the look. I wouldn't add anything else to the car, it's a perfect driver's car as configured. My CGTS does have minor rattles on rough road surface but it's a sports car so I don't sweat it.
Thanks for the tip PDN! Is this what you got? http://www.amazon.com/eranton®-Portable-Bluetooth-Wireless-Handsfree/dp/B00WZTSOUM/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1440044450&sr=8-4&keywords=bluetooth+adaptor+to+aux

Fully battery supports 8 hours of music which is pretty good

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Alcantara needs some extra care. Don't rub it (i.e. don't slide the steering wheel on your palm), and always grip the steering. Keep your hands clean before driving the car. Alcantara hates dirt, grease and lotion. Otherwise Alcantara is great. It's not hot in summer and not cold in winter. I love it!

·
Registered
5,484 Posts
Dual zone is kinda pointless... but that's not why you get it. Having the auto climate control is worlds better than fiddling with the settings yourself to get to a temperature you want.

Remember that if you don't get the dual zone, you don't get auto control.
+1 for the auto climate control!

(IMHO dual zone works! :) )

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
(IMHO dual zone works! :) )
I don't think my wife has ever changed her temperature independently of mine. When I'm by myself and want all the A/C, I honestly have no idea what to do with them. Do I set the temp high on the passenger side? Will that direct the cold air to me or will it start pumping hot air over there? How high is too high?

Then I just lean over and close the two passenger side vents.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Doesn't climate control adjustment also come without the convenience package?

It seems you can adjust the temp without it.....you just don't get the handy temp readout. Correct??

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
Doesn't climate control adjustment also come without the convenience package?

It seems you can adjust the temp without it.....you just don't get the handy temp readout. Correct??

The difference is that you're telling it to blow hotter or colder air. Once it gets too warm you then need to reduce the fan... or tell it to blow cooler air... or turn it off for a while... then turn it back on... etc.

With the auto climate control, you tell it what temperature you WANT. It then does some witchcraft to constantly adjust it's settings to try to keep you at that temperature. Set it and forget it.

Reactions: Fantom

·
Registered
62 Posts

·
Vendor
6,504 Posts
Most people go with convenience package for heated seat. If you don't need that... You can skip the whole thing. I hate dual zone. My 981 is on MONO setting on the time, and in my Subaru, that doesn't have MONO mode - I have to adjust two knobs every friking time. Otherwise I feel the wrong air coming from passenger side!

Alcantara is great. If you drive with soiled hand it might get dirty, but you can wash it! I have alcantara seats in Subaru, and in 7 years/170K miles the drivers seats bottom (blue) is expectedly a little worn. But the rest of it just looks like new. Feels good too.

There is huge thread here on delivery things. In short - people with OCD, myself included, do not let dealer was or wax the car, ever. In my dealership part-times kids do that job. With mops and dirty rugs...

Reactions: Fantom
1 - 20 of 32 Posts