Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

21 - 40 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
That's an interesting product, but it seems to me not very useful for day to day driving. You've got to open the app and get connected w/Wifi. If you're in your garage your phone is likely already connected to your home Wifi.

Using the backup light for a power source works OK for hard wired cameras because they are pretty-much instant-on. With this, you have to wait for the transceiver to boot, and then your phone needs to "connect" to that SSID once it is detected by the phone. That could take a while. And you'd have to go through the initialization process every time you put the car into reverse.

So its not a clean, hands-free system. I doubt I'd use it routinely.
Yeah, I think you are right, probably to much hassle to use daily. I first liked this unit because it required no wiring:
QuickVu™ Wireless Backup Camera | QuickVu

But there is no way I would want that unit sitting on my dash all the time. I contacted them about the possibility on using with a phone or other screen, but all I got was "we are working on it". That was a year ago.

The search continues...

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'd really love to see somebody installing camera view mirror from Gentex. Shouldn't be that difficult. Yes, it's not exactly the same shape, but nobody who doesn't know will notice.

Automotive Products | Gentex

For those who are worried about quality - Gentex supplies most of today's rear view mirrors for all premium brands.
Vlad, RSchwerer, WildW -- I installed the OEM design aftermarket Gentex rear camera mirror (GENK332), coupled with Sony camera (XA-R800C) on our daily driver around 3 years ago. It is very nice equipment and has been trouble free for that time. Gentex uses the American car market OEM windshield wedge mount system and does not make a mirror specifically for Porsche cars. The wedge mount is a thumbprint size metal wedge that is superglued directly to the windshield. The mirror slides into the "OEM" wedge and is fastened by a single set screw.
The challenge for adapting the mirror to the 981 is both the Porsche mount and the Gentex mirror would have to modified by the end user to achieve a tidy installation worthy of our elegant cars.
I have attached two Iphone images for illustration. The white box in the top view photo is a "Fast Lane" toll transponder and not part of the mirror installation.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Smartphone connected is the way things will go in this product area IMO.

Anyone want to start a company and go on Sharktank :)

·
Vendor
6,504 Posts
Looks to me like Gentex is an OEM manufacturer. I don't see any consumer products listed on their web-site - just their technology.

BTW, I see they make Bline Zone mirrors. After haning that on my wife's SUV (which already as much better driver visibility) I'd really like it on a Cayman or Boxster. I never have 100% confidence that there isn't something hidden by the passenger headrest or the roof.
You can buy that Gentex mirror on Amazon:
Gentex GENK335S-GCPK Auto-Dimming Rear Camera Display Mirror system with 3.3" Monitor and Compass for GM non-OnStar models, Ford, Chrysler, Toyota : Amazon.com : Automotive

As for blind zones - adjusting your mirrors correctly - will help with 99% of blind zone:

http://www.planet-9.com/981-chat/71370-rear-visibility-problem-wrong-mirrors-adjustment.html

·
Vendor
6,504 Posts
Vlad, RSchwerer, WildW -- I installed the OEM design aftermarket Gentex rear camera mirror (GENK332), coupled with Sony camera (XA-R800C) on our daily driver around 3 years ago. It is very nice equipment and has been trouble free for that time. Gentex uses the American car market OEM windshield wedge mount system and does not make a mirror specifically for Porsche cars. The wedge mount is a thumbprint size metal wedge that is superglued directly to the windshield. The mirror slides into the "OEM" wedge and is fastened by a single set screw.
The challenge for adapting the mirror to the 981 is both the Porsche mount and the Gentex mirror would have to modified by the end user to achieve a tidy installation worthy of our elegant cars.
I have attached two Iphone images for illustration. The white box in the top view photo is a "Fast Lane" toll transponder and not part of the mirror installation.
I take it our 981 doesn't have that "wedge mount"? Can the mirror be unscrewed/reattached somehow at the ball, skipping the mount?

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Exactly. I am changing my forum name to 981(searchfirstbeforecryingwolf)BS-WTF :)
I'll let you forum smack me for another 2-1/2 years, then I'm playing the statute of limitations e-transgressions immunity / forgiven / forgotten e-card.

tl;dr: lol, you're kinda late with the forum smack down and incidentally I already fessed up I fubar'd. :cheers:

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
As for blind zones - adjusting your mirrors correctly - will help with 99% of blind zone:

http://www.planet-9.com/981-chat/71370-rear-visibility-problem-wrong-mirrors-adjustment.html
Yeah, we'll just have to disagree about that. It won't/can't tilt wide enough on the passenger side. I like a view of the full lane next to (and slightly behind) me. That's where it's blind - right behind the roof-line. It's the mirror housing that blocks the view. The outer edge of the mirror is useless. No kind of adjustment is gonna fix that.
So I don't need a lecture on how to adjust my mirror "correctly".

·
Registered
209 Posts
I'll let you forum smack me for another 2-1/2 years, then I'm playing the statute of limitations e-transgressions immunity / forgiven / forgotten e-card.

tl;dr: lol, you're kinda late with the forum smack down and incidentally I already fessed up I fubar'd. :cheers:
Just send me a gas card ;)

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Just send me a gas card ;)
Oh **** that reminds me, Porsche sent me one of those a couple weeks ago. Thanks for the nudge. :banana:

And no, I'm not sending it. :taunt:

·
Registered
209 Posts
Be that way.

You can follow me on #usethesearchfunction :hilarious:

·
Registered
37 Posts
I am looking into it, but there is a company and for the life of me the name is escaping me right now, that will take your factory radio and add an interface so you can add a back up camera and it will display on the factory radio. I know it isn't a cheap way to go, if I remember correctly it was $800 or so when I was going to do it on my 991, 911. I will post the name as soon as I talk to the stereo shop that was going to do the install.

·
Vendor
6,504 Posts
I am looking into it, but there is a company and for the life of me the name is escaping me right now, that will take your factory radio and add an interface so you can add a back up camera and it will display on the factory radio. I know it isn't a cheap way to go, if I remember correctly it was $800 or so when I was going to do it on my 991, 911. I will post the name as soon as I talk to the stereo shop that was going to do the install.
That would be way too cool! If they can just install a switch, so you can switch between camera and normal function...

·
Registered
420 Posts
That company is Crux and the link to their product is CRUX Interfacing Solutions ::: RVCPR-66

I have the full kit for PCM 3.1 hardware (what we have in our cars) for sale in the Classifieds. The CS has been fabulous, but as an only car has the singular flaw that I can't tow my 911S to shows. So a Macan S is in my future.

EDIT: Item is SOLD

·
Registered
259 Posts
I wonder if the '13 Boxster is supported. They only list '14... Same thing, no?

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I installed a camera a few years ago, it was inexpensive and easy to do as I was replacing the head unit with an aftermarket. I have mine mounted on the top of my license plate, works just fine. Problem is all I see (most of the time) is exhaust, and I can't think of anywhere else to mount it and remain stealth.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Has anyone installed an Aftermarket Backup Camera
on their 981? Do the wireless type work well?
Here is my aftermarket reverse camera integrated with CDR
2014-11-23 11.41.18.jpg

21 - 40 of 121 Posts