Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

41 - 60 of 121 Posts

·
Need 4 Speed
175 Posts
NAV-TV
RGB PCM3.1 KIT adds rear camera, 3 video inputs and 1 RGB input into PORSCHE 911 (991 CHASSIS), BOXTER and CAYMAN vehicles with the PCM 3.1 Radio
NAV-TV Corporation: Rear camera kit for the new Porsche 991 with PCM3.1 radio

DVD player Interface Rear camera/GPS/DVD For Porsche PCM 3.1
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/DVD-player-Interface-Rear-camera-GPS-DVD-For-Porsche-PCM-3-1/1560348418.html

RL-PCM3-TF - Rückfahrkamera-Eingangskodierung + TV-Freischaltung Porsche PCM 3.1
http://www.kolumbus24.com/DVD_/_DVB-T_/_Multimedia/TV_-_Freischaltung/Sonstige_Fahrzeugtypen/_RL-PCM3-TF_-_Rueckfahrkamera-Eingangskodierung__TV-Frei_PORSCHE_PCM_31_i576_4383_0.htm

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
NAV-TV
RGB PCM3.1 KIT adds rear camera, 3 video inputs and 1 RGB input into PORSCHE 911 (991 CHASSIS), BOXTER and CAYMAN vehicles with the PCM 3.1 Radio
NAV-TV Corporation: Rear camera kit for the new Porsche 991 with PCM3.1 radio

DVD player Interface Rear camera/GPS/DVD For Porsche PCM 3.1
DVD player Interface Rear camera/GPS/DVD For Porsche PCM 3.1-in Car DVD from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

RL-PCM3-TF - Rückfahrkamera-Eingangskodierung + TV-Freischaltung Porsche PCM 3.1
RL-PCM3-TF - Rückfahrkamera-Eingangskodierung + TV-Frei PORSCHE PCM 3.1

What at is the PCM 3.1? I have a 981 Boxster with no navi, no sound plus, and no Bose. Am I able to purchase this and get the rear view camera?

thanks so much!

Reactions: doborder

·
Registered
155 Posts
What at is the PCM 3.1? I have a 981 Boxster with no navi, no sound plus, and no Bose. Am I able to purchase this and get the rear view camera?

thanks so much!
I have the same question. I got a basic sound system. I don't think I have PCM.

Thanks much in advance for a quick response.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Got a response from the manufacture
RVCPR-66 will only work with PCM 3.1 Navigation system
It will not work for CDR audio system.

Darn

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
Got a response from the manufacture
RVCPR-66 will only work with PCM 3.1 Navigation system
It will not work for CDR audio system.

Darn
Thanks for doing the homework.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
I'm considering having a camera unit made by NAV-TV, model PCM3.1, installed. It uses the PCM screen as the monitor. The camera view automatically shows up on the screen when trans is put into reverse. It adds a 'settings" routine to the PCM; so you can adjust brightness and other options. One option overlays the OEM parking sensor display on the side of the screen. Looks to be a very well integrated product; you wouldn't know it wasn't OEM. Anybody had experience with this outfit's products?

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
The NAV-TV unit with Alpine camera was installed today. I got the basic unit, there is fancier unit costing $200 more. Here are some pics.
There's a settings menu inserted right into the PCM software. Hit "Car", "Option" and the resultant screen is my "Menu PCM" pic. Hit "Set Parking" and the next screen is my "Menu Main" pic. Hit "RVC Pic param" and you get a screen with buttons for brightness, contrast, & color. Hit one of them and the next screen has a slider adjustment.

Instead of mounting the camera directly to the body, they used a kit in which the camera is mounted on a custom license plate bracket.
As you can see in the "Rear View" pic, the OEM sensor graphic is overlayed on top of the camera view; just like it is in my X3. And the graphic works like the OEM does - the yellow, green, red warning zones light up as you get closer to something. I understand the sensor overlay can be turned off/on in the settings menu.

The camera view pops up on the screen when the trans is put into reverse and stays on until you shift out of reverse; just like my X3. The installer said the rear view can be displayed when the car is not in reverse by hitting the "Show RVC Image" button in my "Main Menu" pic.

I'm happy. :dance:

Attachments

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
I got one today, too. Haven't played yet. I think it's the same NAV TV unit, different camera. Not sure how it's mounted, might be to the bumper. I get colored guidelines, but of course they are inaccurate unless the wheels are straight, unlike an OEM unit might be.

Time will tell, still need to use the side mirrors backing into my narrow garage, but I think I'll be very glad.

I wish I had thought to ask about a front bumper camera to watch for those parking barriers.

Reactions: Bluzpwr

·
Registered
4 Posts
There's a settings menu inserted right into the PCM software. Hit "Car", "Option" and the resultant screen is my "Menu PCM" pic. Hit "Set Parking" and the next screen is my "Menu Main" pic. Hit "RVC Pic param" and you get a screen with buttons for brightness, contrast, & color. Hit one of them and the next screen has a slider adjustment.
I have been considering adding this... but the instructions on the Navtv web site were a little confusing... did these menus pop up automatically? or did you have to do all the stuff in the installation manual about programming? The installation instructions on the web page show how to "program" it using the steering wheel controls, which I don't have.... Can this be done with the stalk?

TIA
-bob

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
I have been considering adding this... but the instructions on the Navtv web site were a little confusing... did these menus pop up automatically? or did you have to do all the stuff in the installation manual about programming? The installation instructions on the web page show how to "program" it using the steering wheel controls, which I don't have.... Can this be done with the stalk?
I didn't install this myself; I had a car audio shop do it. They installed the new software and I didn't have to do a thing. When I picked up the car, the installer showed me how to access the new menus - and I described that sequence in my post. "Car" & "Option" are buttons on the PCM.
I don't have the multi-function steering wheel either. The column stalk gives you access to std MFD info screens and settings for BASIC car functions, like door looks. But if you want to change settings for stuff controlled by the PCM (radio, navi, phone, etc.), you have to use the buttons on the PCM.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
I didn't install this myself; I had a car audio shop do it.
And the wife of the shop owner complimented me on the color combo of my car.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts

TIA
-bob
I bought the more expensive Kit that has three video inputs.

From what I can tell, there are modules (two in the expensive kit) that add the video inputs and communicate to the PCM radio via the fiber optic MOST bus. According to Wikipedia, the MOST bus is plug and play with standardized interfaces. To answer your question, there is a reset procedure that causes the PCM radio to scan the bus and when it finds extras on the bus, the PCM adds options to the menus automatically without additional software. The expensive kit can support a portable DVD player and the front camera, FLIR if you can afford it. There is a warning in the warranty manual that you have to obey the rules (I think that is an allude to not playing video while driving).

While connecting the backup camera to the reverse lights is probably the best bet, the PCM will allow you to access the reverse camera when not in reverse. So if you tie the camera's power to the reverse lights, you will not be able to access the camera when in any other gear/park. It needs to be connected to a source turned on by the ignition switch.

The installation instructions are for the Cayenne or Panamera and do not contain how to access the PCM in a Cayman. There is a very good 991 article on another site that appears to be the process for the 981. I will do a photo shoot and write up when I do it, but it may be February before I get it done.

The instructions are very weak in describing how to hook the cables up. from what I have read and seen on NAV-TV's YouTube videos, the large black connector in the rear of the PCM pulls out and is composed of several smaller connectors that plug into the larger plug frame. You have to unplug the 12 pin connector and the fiber optic connectors, plug the 12 pin into the T-harness end that goes into the PCM radio, then modify the fiber optic cable so the two modules are in the loop and plug that into the T-harness and then into the PCM radio. Then plug the original cable into the other end of the T-Harness. You have to get 12V and ground to the modules(s) and can connect to the T-harness or use a relay from switched power.

I have also read that the T-harness and (in my case, two modules) have to be crammed back into the dash/console. Another YouTube video warns that on some Porsches, there is a soft styrofoam ventilation duct in the back of the hole that the PCM resides that can get crushed by the T-harness and modules if you aren't careful. The video recommended putting the excess cable and modules in the empty driver's knee pad area, underneath the steering wheel so the PCM radio could be reinstalled without damaging the duct. Nothing was said on tying this up so it won't move around or rattle. So you are left to your own devices.

Then you have to install the rear backup camera and run the video cable to the PCM radio and somehow get power to the camera. I am sure once you have done a couple it is easy, but the lack of detail in the instructions are sure to be a problem for the first time installer. The good thing is I have read that NAV-TV has decent phone support. I am going to Florida for two weeks and will take my NAV-TV kit and camera and see if I can get them to install it for me while I am down there, where it is relatively warm!

I did not buy the NAV-TV camera, I bought a BOYO VTK-230HD, which was only $65 versus $299 for the equivalent NAV-TV version. Reviews are decent, but I have to drill the bumper cover.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
The instructions are very weak in describing how to hook the cables up.
Then you have to install the rear backup camera and run the video cable to the PCM radio and somehow get power to the camera. I am sure once you have done a couple it is easy, but the lack of detail in the instructions are sure to be a problem for the first time installer.
Better you than me. My install wasn't cheep, but I am not adept at anything other than checking the oil!
My installer used an Alpine camera which is integrated into a license plate frame; which I thought was a pretty cool piece.
Good luck on your project.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I am having the same issues with my 981 Boxster. The car came fully loaded, but no back-up camera? #sadness.
I never realized how spoiled I am with back-up camera, until I don't have it anymore.

Does anyone know a shop in Houston, TX who can install NAV-TV to the PCM?

·
Vendor
6,504 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
what about installing back-up camera and possibly voiding the warranty? I've heard someone told me about it. New owner here - not very familiar with Porsche's warranty policies

·
Registered
34 Posts
Is there a simple reason ( besides cost!!??) why no one has considered fitting the Porsche back up camera that is fitted as a factory option- i.e dont order car with back up camera and fit electronics and camera later......

·
Vendor
6,504 Posts
Is there a simple reason ( besides cost!!??) why no one has considered fitting the Porsche back up camera that is fitted as a factory option- i.e dont order car with back up camera and fit electronics and camera later......
It's not a plug and play, like in old cars. Everything is software drive, and you'll need to be a superhacker to figure out what's need to be installed. Aftermarket units easily do that: you just plug video feed - and it will show it, but you can't easily throw away factory PCM - Porsche smartly integrated it so tight that you can't really just replace it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
It's not a plug and play, like in old cars. Everything is software drive, and you'll need to be a superhacker to figure out what's need to be installed. Aftermarket units easily do that: you just plug video feed - and it will show it, but you can't easily throw away factory PCM - Porsche smartly integrated it so tight that you can't really just replace it.
My question was more tyring to understand that for those who are buying the aftermarket rear camera intergration box to plug into the rear of the PCM unit, why not purchase the Porsche OE rear camera unit ( as would be fitted if they had ordered rear camera whe ncar was bought etc) to get a totally factory integrated look etc

41 - 60 of 121 Posts