Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As per my previous post about rebuilding my compressor, I am now looking for a reasonably priced aftermarket compressor. Plenty on ebay for around $250 - 350 US plus shipping to Australia. Are they any good? Is there a brand I should choose? Any to run away from? Can't justify the price of an OEM compressor, as the Australian dollar is not that strong at the moment.

Suggestions welcome.

Ken

·
Registered
215 Posts
Gosh - I had to translate that. It would be helpful if we knew the year of your 987. Porsche changed how the front fans operate when they went from 987.1 to 987.2. What does "combines alright" mean - that didn't translate. Am I correct in assuming that when you say "a/c blower can't (do?) anything as there is no adjustment in motor speed/note" that you're referring to the AC compressor?

This might be a case where some diagnostics with a Porsche compatible scan tool might help reveal what's going on (or not going on)..

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
mud nut, did you manage to get the compressor?
i saw one on some websites branded Hella approx GBP500 not incl. shipping or taxes.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
mud nut, did you manage to get the compressor?
i saw one on some websites branded Hella approx GBP500 not incl. shipping or taxes.
Not yet. The wet season is over here, and temps are much more reasonable. GBP 500 is over $1000 AU here, so a bit too much for me at the moment. With the cheaper ones from the US, at $350 US lands here for around $500 AU. The one I was looking at is a Nisson Denso unit which is OEM for the 2012 Cayman.

Cheers,

Ken

·
Registered
271 Posts
I have a compressor problem as well and came across the UAC CO 10808JC, which sells on Amazon for $228. The factory unit from a local dealer is $1266!

From what I have read UAC makes the best after market compressors but I have no way to know that. I do know, many years ago, I lost a compressor on a MB. MB wanted way over $1000. My mechanic found a domestic unit for about $300 that never caused me any trouble.

If anybody knows UAC or has a favorite brand I sure would like to know.

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
I have a compressor problem as well
Just curious what the symptoms were. I started hearing odd sounds on mine. Cooling still worked but the noise got progressively louder. Turned out had a problem with the compressor pulley bearing. It was pretty cheap (~$50) and simple to replace once I had the proper info on removal (987.2 has a different process than other youtube videos). Porsche PET didn't show a separate part # for pulley/bearings since they want to sell the compressor as a very expensive unit assembly. But I found several on ebay. Besides the cost for the new compressor, it looked like a PITA to get at and would require help from an AC shop to recharge the system.

·
Registered
271 Posts
No symptoms, just heat instead of cool. I lost the A/C last year and had the system recharged. Dye was included. It happened again this year so I had it checked. Since I don't get out in bad weather much they could still find the dye. The leak was at the compressor, and Porsche wants $1266 for one of those!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts