Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen at least one other post on this, but I think it deserves a little more discussion. I love my 2014 Cayman 981, but I am simply dumbfounded that keyless entry and drive wasn't a standard option for Porsche by this point. In fact, from what I've read, it doesn't even look like it was possible to get this as an option on the 981 in North America in 2014.

This is absurd. Nissans, Hondas, Toyotas, even Kias have had this for years. A top of the line "premium" company like Porsche should be leading the way with things like this instead of lagging behind.

I've talked with my Porsche dealership, and they have said a few things. First they said it couldn't be done. Then, they backtracked a bit and said that it could be with the right equipment, a lengthy install, and a reprogramming of the control module... but, that THEY wouldn't do it. I found a guy who supposedly sells a genuine Porsche kit that has all of the necessary equipment, but even then, the dealership said that it couldn't help me with the PIWIS programming, because they wouldn't have supplied the parts and/or done the work. (neither of which they're willing to do). Even more so, I've looked into a few aftermarket companies that install this kind of setup on older cars, but each of them has actually said that the electronics in the 2014 are "too new" for their kits to be able to be applied.

Does anyone have any leads, or know of any shops that could make this happen? At this point, it's almost a "principle of the matter" thing to me. I would consider spending what many would consider an absurd amount of money for this feature... especially if it could be done to "factory standards". I would drive hundreds of miles to a shop to have it done. I would tear apart a wrecked 981 to pull every wire and control module out of it and attempt to swap it into my car... In fact,
I'd do pretty much anything short of trading up for a newer car to make this happen.

Help me out here, friends.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Forget it man. It'd be exhorbitantly expensive, even for a 2016 GTS, let alone a 2014 base; makes no economic sense whatsoever. The system requires a lot of sensors, different door handles (with the button on them). But the biggest hurdle would be if you need a new wire harness (most likely, as well as a new computer), which would cost an arm and a leg, but more importantly, require dismantling half the car (or more) to replace. Simply not worth it. For that dough, just upgrade to an S or GTS, with all the options you want;). Good luck.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Gerg: Interesting post. I could not help but think of how much I hate keyless go systems. My wife use to have them on her leased BMW from work. I could never trust if the car was locked or not. If you touch the door handle to find out if it is locked then it unlocks. I found myself locking and unlocking the door repeatedly until I finally gave up and walked away hoping it was indeed locked. You probably consider me an idiot and on this subject I will not argue the point. For me I hate the keyless go systems and would not pay an extra nickel for a car with one. lol

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I understand your quest, I did basically the same thing in installing a PCM and 718 GT Sport design steering wheel in my CGTS, but I have to concur with Elmer's Paso JC on this one. It's just way too complicated to even consider. I would guess that even if you could get all the parts from a donor wrecked 981 the labor alone would run into 5 figures easily. Installing a complete new wiring harness requires an almost total tear-down of the car and you open up all sorts of possibilities for other things going wrong in the process. I nave entry and drive on my Cayenne but it has spotty functionality, drives me crazy by working, then not, etc. I end up using the key often to either lock or unlock the car, which is exactly how I do those chores in my Cayman. Channel your desires somewhere else, this is a non-starter.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am about to purchase a used 2014 Cayman S. It is completely loaded with every option I can determine. But no “entry and drive” from what I can determine. Sorry to read your post explaining that after market options appear impractical.

Do you know if this was only offered on the 2015 models going forward? Does it come standard with any of the packages?

·
Registered
90 Posts
It was available on 2014 cars because my 2014 S has it. Ironically, it was the ONLY Cayman I found with it on it in more than a year of looking on and off for my car. I really liked the feature in my Audi S4, but was prepared to not have it on the Porsche as I could never find one with it. But in the end, I happened upon one and for man other reasons it was the right car and just happened to have it.

Its worked flawlessly for me over the last few months of owning the car. My dad has it on his 2013 991, again, seemingly very rare to find on those cars as well.

Additionally, if trying to retrofit it, there are also sensors in the frunk and rear hatch for opening those. They are actually located below the lids in the front and rear bumper area. So those would have to be installed and wiring run to both of them, requiring wiring that runs from front to rear on the car.

That doesnt help you in your quest to retrofit your car, but it does answer the question that it was available in 2014.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Does it come standard with any of the packages?
Yes, and it's the only way to get it. It's part of the 'premium package PLUS'. And yes, it's the only difference between that and the 'premium package', adding about $1,100, if memory serves me right. It has worked flawlessly on my car. It wasn't a deal-breaker for me then, but it'd be now;).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.