Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Wheelchair modification

So I've found a way to position my chair in the hatch compartment with one complication...I need to know what is below the carpet in the lowest well just behind the engine cowling. It feels like metal when you knock it. I need to cut two 1" channels about 4" deep. Has anyone had this area disassembled?

Exciting possibilities if I can.

·
On Probation
582 Posts
ive havent heard of any....but if you must get a po i guess a body shop could custum build or rebuild you a hatch

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
What about just removing some of the trim from the existing hatch?

·
Administrator
34,646 Posts
I believe there is a CF or GRP hatch with Lexan window for racing, but I can't recall who makes/sells it (I think it's a company in Europe).
Our sponsor Safetech has carbon fiber rear hatches and is supposed to be sending me one now to install and test. I don't know that it gives you any more room other than if you left off some trim pieces as suggested.

·
Premium Member
1,143 Posts
Hi...

First time on the site. I need to find a way to fit my compact wheelchair in the
back of a Cayman before I purchase one. Is there a good quality hatch out there that will increase the storage volume in the back? I don't need much. Thanx
Good luck with your search for a Cayman.I do not know of a hatch replacement, but i guess that where there is a will there is a way.I have seen some posts on here as to how some members are fitting bicycles in there Cayman.Maybe worth the search on this site to see what they are doing....:cheers:

·
Registered
621 Posts
I agree with others - if I were working to create more space in the hatch area, I would start gutting the interior trim and modifying it (the trim) as needed. This would maintain the esthetics, and likely be cheaper as well. One related feature the Cayman has, that you're probably already aware of - the rear hatch (and front trunk lid) pop up a bit to aid opening via keyfob push-button. I commend you for working to use a Cayman with a wheel chair. Let us know if we can help further!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wheelchair Mod...

So I've found a way to position my chair in the hatch compartment with one complication...I need to know what is below the carpet in the lowest well just behind the engine cowling. It feels like metal when you knock it. I need to cut two 1" channels about 4" deep. Has anyone had this area disassembled?

·
Premium Member
3,862 Posts
Re: Wheelchair Mod...

You might check out the pix in this link from a thread by the infamous Slatfatf: http://www.planet-9.com/cayman-boxster-modifications/24186-weight-reduction-8.html#post303739 and see if that helps.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Re: Wheelchair Mod...

I've just had a look. It is the muffler under there (under the trunk floor). But, many of us change them anyway, and there are many options. If you fitted a pair of longtudinally-oriented mufflers, and ran the exhausts straight out the back (on either side) like this:
http://www.porschetuningmag.com/wp-content/uploads/techart-cayman-widebody-2.jpg
It would free up space between them (and the outlets would be further away from legs when loading/unloading).
There are a couple of mfrs that sell bumpers like this and exhaust kits. (And/or a custom muffler installation would be fairly easy).
That would then leave only the gearbox to dodge. I felt about 4" of space above the gearbox and below the body/chassis sheet metal in the area you're speaking of. A good shop could easily fabricate a lower trunk pan to be almost touching the top of the gearbox (weld it in, carpet it - and "Bob's your uncle" as the English say) and you would gain over 3" depth, say a couple of feet wide (space between new longitudinal mufflers).

I hope this helps. Please let me know if it doesn't make sense.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.