Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard multiple stories about aftermarket catted headers failing under extended heavy track use. How much of a concern is this? I do maybe 3-4 events per year, so nothing too serious. 3 years into ownership my OEM headers have given me no issues.

I'm considering Fabspeed headers + Cobb tune for my car, but I'm worried that tracking my car is going to burn the cats out prematurely and leave me in need of an expensive replacement/repair. The headers are a fairly expensive modification, so I want to make sure the money is well spent here. I don't consider catless "race" headers to be an option for me, so please don't suggest that.

Any firsthand experience with this?

·
Registered
819 Posts
So I remember reading this thread a few years ago; P9, 10-22-2013 from euthuz,

Re: My '06 CS engine was killed

Just got back from the shop, and the prognosis is that the oil in the runners was caused by the air oil separator not separating. Makes sense as I was beginning to have puffs of smoke on hot start ups. The metal pieces in the runners was from a disintegrating right side catalytic converter in my EuroSport GT catted headers. :eek: Seems that when I pulled onto pit lane after my cool down lap with throttle closed, the engine creates a high vacuum, sufficient enough to suck the pieces of the converters honeycomb metal matrix back through exhaust valve, and during valve overlap, when both valves are open, the tiny pieces of shrapnel got into the runners, sticking to the oil in the runners due to the bad AOS.

The good news is that the engine can be rebuilt. Due to metal bits getting under the valves faces, most if not all the valves got bent. Combustion chambers all look OK, slightly peened from the metal bits flying around, but reusable. Pistons & cylinder walls will be able to be reused after reconditioning. IMS
bearing looked fine. All bearings looked fine.

I'm accepting donations thru PayPal. :thanks:

Also, many Ferrari owners who track their cars, are removing their converters for this reason.

455 Posts
Track use is indeed very hard on catalytic converters, especially if you are doing it repeatedly. We understand the potential risks but accept it as part of our customer service that customers want to track their cars while remaining emissions compliant - and will warranty our catted headers for track use. We will replace the catalytic converters one time during the catalysts 3 years warranty, while the rest of the headers are covered for life. Second time around, we will repair at cost. The only stipulation is that race fuels cannot be used as they will ruin the catalytic converter in no time.

We use HJS HD 200 cell catalytic converters which are built to be used in performance scenarios. You may be familiar with HJS already, but if you aren’t here’s why we use them. The HD designs use triple foil winding for maximum durability and strength (extremely high efficiency). They are also efficient enough to meet strict EURO 4 emission standards while still allowing for an increase in flow - all without a check engine light.

The brazing stripe is an extra feature in the interest of durability. It prevents the core from moving or experiencing any damage from high horsepower abuse.

We do have customers using their SOUL catted components on the track and have not had failures yet.

If you have any interest in a set of our Long Tube Street Headers it would be a pleasure to take care of a fellow Planet9 member!

-Mike S

·
Registered
305 Posts
I've done some research into this. Cat meltdown does happen but very rarely. Usually cars that this happens to are tracked heavily with long sessions, and have ECU tuning done to them which causes engine to run rich fuel to oxygen ratio. Reputable exhaust companies like Fabspeed, Cargraphic, Soul all use the best catalysts available on the market: made by HJS in Germany.
Personally, I went with Soul in large part because their warranty covers headers even for track use.

455 Posts
I've done some research into this. Cat meltdown does happen but very rarely. Usually cars that this happens to are tracked heavily with long sessions, and have ECU tuning done to them which causes engine to run rich fuel to oxygen ratio. Reputable exhaust companies like Fabspeed, Cargraphic, Soul all use the best catalysts available on the market: made by HJS in Germany.
Personally, I went with Soul in large part because their warranty covers headers even for track use.
Thank you for choosing us, may you never need to use the warranty, and may your track days be your best days!

-Mike S

1 - 6 of 6 Posts