Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Received new headers today from one of the site sponsors. Went through the process of removing Drivers side OEM header and upon fitting the new header, I noticed it wouldn't sit flush.

Check out these photo's.............almost a 16th of an inch off plus, they look slightly "twisted" as well. Obviously, I put the project on hold until I can contact the manufacturer.
hd3.JPG hd2.JPG hd1.JPG

I personally do not have any experience with aftermarket headers.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I put the APR headers on mine and have has zero issues. What brand are they and you still have the metal gasket dorm the OEM manifold correct?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did not bother completing the install, I am concerned with fitment and leaking.......and yes, I have the OEM gasket.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Maybe it warped a bit during welding? I would call the manufacturer and talk to them about it.
That's what I was thinking........However, I didn't want to spend a lot of time installing it just to find out it leaks.......I'll be calling them in the AM for sure.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Looks like cargraphic headers. Bummer; I was about to order a set.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks like cargraphic headers. Bummer; I was about to order a set.
Not cargraphic. I'll allow the mfg the opportunity to provide a fair resolution before I go throwing them under the bus.

Check out these other pics............

This one is with straight edge flat on center tube.
hd4.JPG

This one with straight edge flat on right side tube.
hd5.JPG

·
Registered
504 Posts
You're not throwing them under the bus, you're preventing us from having the same problem and helping us make a decision when we are ready to spend our hard earned cash. That double plate flange looks FVD to me...

- Patrick

Reactions: RADONCulous

·
Registered
331 Posts
Not cargraphic. I'll allow the mfg the opportunity to provide a fair resolution before I go throwing them under the bus. .....
That's fair play. If they don't jump to replace them .... save the rest of us from trouble like that as PMNewton said.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Absolutely, I'll post their response ASAP tomorrow am.
First of all, The supplier and manufacturer are willing to resolve my issue any way that would be suitable to me. This is one of the main reasons I deal with them and will continue to deal with them in the future. As there is a perceived value that I will ultimately get what I pay for.

The short answer I received...........They are purposely built that way. Just install them and they will naturally heat up and form a perfect seal with the engine. I suppose this will work providing I am willing to heat up, re-torque and run the living piss out of my car periodically over the next several weeks. Funny, I must have missed that part on the brochure. Bottom line, I was expecting better overall quality on the workmanship. Guess I learned a new lesson in MotorSport technology. Not sure what my ultimate decision is going to be. I'll keep you updated.

·
Incurable Gearhead
962 Posts
OP, my S wears the stocks headers, but I've dealt with them on previous cars & inline motos dating back a few decades. IMHO, you're fine. That flange will lay flat as a fritter when torqued down. Put 'em on and take a drive.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes, not making it up. See quote below...........

"You may remember that I mentioned that M&M Exhausts uses heat expansion and contraction principles to manufacture for longevity?

All M&M headers are double plated flanges and are made intentionally like that. The thermal load on the flange will seal it to the motor perfectly.

Kindly refer to the attached header installation instructions. You will see that you start tightening the headers from the middle then work your way out. This spreads the stress out evenly and then once the car goes through a few heat cycles the headers make a perfectly flush connection.

The Motorsports Double plated flange will then seal perfectly to the motor with heat over time. You must recheck the torque on the bolts in about 2 weeks’ time. They are supposed to be warped like that, they will seal to the bottom of the motor with heat."

Maybe John from BGB could chime in.

I obviously at 57 years old, being involved with all kinds of mechanics, electronics, and various other technologies my entire adult life have been missing something. I spent the entire evening "cleaning up" these headers and I'm going to install them anyway. I they don't create "a perfect seal" after a fair amount of heat cycles, I will be returning them.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OP, my S wears the stocks headers, but I've dealt with them on previous cars & inline motos dating back a few decades. IMHO, you're fine. That flange will lay flat as a fritter when torqued down. Put 'em on and take a drive.
That's what I'm going to do........what kind of fritter we talking about?

Seriously, there were some other quality issues we're working around. In hindsight, I would left well enough alone and put the $$$ toward maint items like brake pads and tires.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I just don't see how the 22 lb-ft torque that's called for on the flange bolts is really enough to pull that baby flat. Don't be tempted to over torque the bolts. The heads are aluminum and the threads aren't reinforced!

Give it a few heat cycles and keep checking the torque on a cold motor.

- Patrick

·
Registered
794 Posts
That's what I'm going to do........what kind of fritter we talking about?

Seriously, there were some other quality issues we're working around. In hindsight, I would left well enough alone and put the $$$ toward maint items like brake pads and tires.
If you're uncomfortable, send em back and spend your money elsewhere......

Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
507 Posts
do you have an aftermarket exhaust too or is it stock exhaust with new headers?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
do you have an aftermarket exhaust too or is it stock exhaust with new headers?
Very happy with my "sound version" FVD exhaust.

Update.............was offered a new system today which is good news. The bad news is that it's going to take a few weeks to come in and the car is apart and clogging up a bay in my shop. Plus, I'm going to miss one or two DE's.

As Forrest Gump would say.........."It happens"

·
Registered
331 Posts
Cool weather DE's?
Nope, don't miss them.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Cool weather DE's?
Nope, don't miss them.
At least there is no need for a cool shirt. Not bad, if temp is over 45 and the sun is shining. Temps are expected to be the the low 60's.........I could fall back on a Audi B5 S4 if I really get antsy. It's just that the Cayman is light years ahead in overall handling.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts