Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to install a pioneer headunit in my 987.2 Cayman (bass everything in regards to audio) so I can upgrade to CarPlay and what not. My question is how does everyone mount the gps antennas and microphone units that come with the aftermarket unit?

I damn sure don’t want anything mounted on the outside of the car, and I’d like everything else to be hidden as much as possible. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
The GPS antenna can be mounted under the black plastic cowling near the wiper motors or behind the battery. Just find something metal for the magnet to cling. You run the cable through one of the rubber plugs in the firewall. I drilled a hole for the cable then sealed it with silicone.

Mic I ran around the under the dash then up and around windshield plastic trim up to the Homelink switch opening in the headliner. The Homelink switch holds it in place hold. Not pretty but it was the best location I found to avoid wind-noise and in the vicinity of my head.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The GPS antenna can be mounted under the black plastic cowling near the wiper motors or behind the battery. Just find something metal for the magnet to cling. You run the cable through one of the rubber plugs in the firewall. I drilled a hole for the cable then sealed it with silicone.

Mic I ran around the under the dash then up and around windshield plastic trim up to the Homelink switch opening in the headliner. The Homelink switch holds it in place hold. Not pretty but it was the best location I found to avoid wind-noise and in the vicinity of my head.
Thanks, did you try just leaving the gps unit behind the head unit to save from routing cables all over? Curious how much this will impact the overall gps signal. I was surprised that CarPlay doesn’t just get all this from your phone to begin with.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Thanks, did you try just leaving the gps unit behind the head unit to save from routing cables all over? Curious how much this will impact the overall gps signal. I was surprised that CarPlay doesn’t just get all this from your phone to begin with.
It's probably only an extra 5 minutes to run it my way. There's a lot of stuff under the dash to interfere with the signal.

BTW, which headunit are you planning? My old AVIC Z110-BT is no longer getting map updates and it doesn't support CarPlay.

Reactions: KT_987

·
Registered
240 Posts
I'll 2nd the recommendation to put it under the cowl. The factory GPS antenna is mounted there if you had factory GPS (apparently my car did.. ) The cowl can be easily removed - there are two plastic covers at about 10" in from each end. If you pull those covers there are some nuts holding things down. MAKE NOTE OF HOW THE NUTS on the PORT (Drivers side - US) are assembled. They allow movement with temperature changes. If you assemble it wrong you'll have issues.

Anyway - first remove the wiper arms. Pop the covers off, remove the nuts holding the arms on and rock them a bit - they should pop off pretty easily.

Remove the plastic covers from the ends of the cowl - and remove the retaining nuts/washers and sleeve.

Open Frunk. Remove cover over battery. There are either two nuts or two plastic rivets holding some legs in place to the body of the car. The legs come off the front/bottom of the cowl. Remove them.

Lift cowl up.

You want a spot to mount it where the wiper mechanism won't hit it, and where it has just plastic above it. The factory antenna (and the one I added) are mounted on the STARBOARD (right side, passenger in US) side. There is an aluminum frame there - the antenna has room to mount on that frame. If your antenna is magnetic - it came with a steel plate with self-adhesive on the back. Cut out a square of the metal plate big enough for the antenna, and stick it on the aluminum plate, then stick the antenna on the steel plate - the magnet will hold it there.

There are two rubber grommets going through the firewall. I used the one on the drivers side to run the GPS cable through. A small hole will work fine and seal around the cable. It comes out up near the pedal assembly mounting, and you can then run it over to the back of the head-unit.

Reassembly is the reverse..

Good luck! If you also have Sirius/XM - that antenna could also go under the cowl, next to the GPS antenna.

Reactions: KT_987

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's probably only an extra 5 minutes to run it my way. There's a lot of stuff under the dash to interfere with the signal.

BTW, which headunit are you planning? My old AVIC Z110-BT is no longer getting map updates and it doesn't support CarPlay.
Planning on going with the Pioneer DMH-W4660NEX. Love the idea of wireless CarPlay and it has a capacitive touch screen which is a huge improvement on the older style head units.

I'll 2nd the recommendation to put it under the cowl. The factory GPS antenna is mounted there if you had factory GPS (apparently my car did.. ) The cowl can be easily removed - there are two plastic covers at about 10" in from each end. If you pull those covers there are some nuts holding things down. MAKE NOTE OF HOW THE NUTS on the PORT (Drivers side - US) are assembled. They allow movement with temperature changes. If you assemble it wrong you'll have issues.

Anyway - first remove the wiper arms. Pop the covers off, remove the nuts holding the arms on and rock them a bit - they should pop off pretty easily.

Remove the plastic covers from the ends of the cowl - and remove the retaining nuts/washers and sleeve.

Open Frunk. Remove cover over battery. There are either two nuts or two plastic rivets holding some legs in place to the body of the car. The legs come off the front/bottom of the cowl. Remove them.

Lift cowl up.

You want a spot to mount it where the wiper mechanism won't hit it, and where it has just plastic above it. The factory antenna (and the one I added) are mounted on the STARBOARD (right side, passenger in US) side. There is an aluminum frame there - the antenna has room to mount on that frame. If your antenna is magnetic - it came with a steel plate with self-adhesive on the back. Cut out a square of the metal plate big enough for the antenna, and stick it on the aluminum plate, then stick the antenna on the steel plate - the magnet will hold it there.

There are two rubber grommets going through the firewall. I used the one on the drivers side to run the GPS cable through. A small hole will work fine and seal around the cable. It comes out up near the pedal assembly mounting, and you can then run it over to the back of the head-unit.

Good luck! If you also have Sirius/XM - that antenna could also go under the cowl, next to the GPS antenna.
thanks for the detailed instructions this will help!

·
Registered
3,262 Posts

It was 10 yrs ago, but I don't remember having to remove much on my Cayman. Just enough of the plastic trim to get access to the firewall plugs/grommets. IIRC, there were several candidates, I chose one easiest to reach from inside the footwell. I didn't need to remove any of the wipers or cowling. Just reach under and place the magnetic antenna on something flat pointing upwards.

Good tip about avoiding the wiper mechanism and motors. I once had a problem receiving satellite data (after years with no issues) and was about to replace the antenna when I noticed it somehow got knocked over by the wiper lever.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Planning on going with the Pioneer DMH-W4660NEX. Love the idea of wireless CarPlay and it has a capacitive touch screen which is a huge improvement on the older style head units.
Thanks, I'll try to get up to speed on all the new features of "modern" head-units. I replaced my stock CDR30 a week after taking possession of my 2010 C. The Z110-BT was a tremendous step-up, but I'd really like Android Auto support so I could just use the head-unit as a big touchscreen. Then I wouldn't even need one with built-in NAV (and all the update hassles) - just use Waze or Google maps. Of course a second opinion sometimes helps. On long trips we have the built-in, my phone's Google Maps, and my wife's Waze - all arguing with each-other.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just finished installing the DMH-W4660NEX in my 2006 Boxster. Install went pretty smoothly and I put the GPS antenna in the front trunk as described above. Let me know if you have any problems. I have two unresolved issues that maybe you will encounter and solve: For the life of me I can't get the firmware to update using CarAVAssit app. The instructions are super sketchy and seem to involve connecting by bluetooth then WiFi but nothing I do seems to work. Second when using navigation with CarPlay, the voice directions are very low and muffled even with volume to max. Same thing with phone calls.It almost sounds like audio signal is only be routed to the bass speakers but that wouldn't make sense.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just finished installing the DMH-W4660NEX in my 2006 Boxster. Install went pretty smoothly and I put the GPS antenna in the front trunk as described above. Let me know if you have any problems. I have two unresolved issues that maybe you will encounter and solve: For the life of me I can't get the firmware to update using CarAVAssit app. The instructions are super sketchy and seem to involve connecting by bluetooth then WiFi but nothing I do seems to work. Second when using navigation with CarPlay, the voice directions are very low and muffled even with volume to max. Same thing with phone calls.It almost sounds like audio signal is only be routed to the bass speakers but that wouldn't make sense.
Nice, that’s convenient you used the same headunit I’m planning on using. Where’d you end up mounting the mic and how were you able to hide the wires?

If you havent already tried, try adjusting the volume on the headunit when a gps direction is playing, sometimes the headunits have a separate volume setting for gps/phone, etc

·
Registered
4 Posts
Nice, that’s convenient you used the same headunit I’m planning on using. Where’d you end up mounting the mic and how were you able to hide the wires?

If you havent already tried, try adjusting the volume on the headunit when a gps direction is playing, sometimes the headunits have a separate volume setting for gps/phone, etc
I mounted the mic on the trim piece between the steering column and the head unit as shown in this article. Super simple to do and easy to run the wire. 997, Boxster, & Cayman Radio Installation – Car Audio Innovations

The unit does have separate volume control for nav and phone. I have those cranked up to max and can still barely hear. I need to go out and try just using the bluetooth connection (i.e.not CarPlay) for the phone and see if that makes a difference.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Those two threads are great. Wish I'd seen them before I installed my system. I had to figure that out by myself..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts