Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Porsche Cayman
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I watched the video of Flat 6 Motorsports 2.7L Cayman 981 Project and one of the upgrades is the replacement of the paper oem air filters with high flow type (cannot remember what aftermarket brand, BMC, AFE, K&N???) and their experience is an enhanced aural tone of the n/a flat 6 engine. The car is still on stock exhaust headers & mufflers.
What is your experience?

720 Posts
Anytime I have changed to a high flow filter (BMC for example) I noticed a slight increase in intake noise, say maybe 10% louder than stock or so. It is most noticeable in the cabin, you will not really hear much of a difference from outside.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Just remember to service the high air flow filters at least once a year or every 8,000 miles. My BMC filters were caked with dirt at 8K. I now have a spare set of filters and the tube/elbow housings they attach to to make changing them quicker (cleaning them means spraying on detergent, rinse with water, dry, re-oil - all that should take more than a day, mostly for the filters to dry before re-oiling them).

The stock paper filters clog up just as fast, but they will better prevent dirt from getting to the engine when clogged.With aluminum cylinders, you have to be careful to keep the air clean.

V6

·
Registered
222 Posts
You'll probably notice a slight increase in the intake sound. You can also expect a very slight bump in HP - say 3 to 5 HP. Unless you're going to do other performance enhancements, it's hardly worth the time and effort to install them.

·
Registered
222 Posts
You wish;). There's no restriction on the massive filtering surface of 981s, so added noise (and dirt) only.
Well I guess my butt dyno is better calibrated than yours. :hilarious:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.