Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I just put in HID Fogs from ebay and I'm getting a flicker every 10sec. Is there anything I can do?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Check to make sure the unit itself is ok by connecting it to an external power source and see if it flickers. You can connect it directly to the battery power leads if you don't have one handy.

I assume the unit is ok especially if both of them are flickering. My assumption is that there is a control mechanism in the car that checks to make sure that a minimum amount of current is being drawn otherwise it kills the power to the fog lights.

Hopefully someone knows what this minimum amount of current is...anyone??? Otherwise the next best thing to do is hook up one side of your fog lights to the original bulb while checking the current draw when powered on. You can use a multimeter connect it in series so that the current runs through the unit.

If you do test this method please post your finding along with the resistance from the bulb, found again by using multimeter, and I can recommend a resistor that you can use to overcome the problem.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi All - I fitted an aftermarket HID kit to my Cayman last year. I don't use the car as my daily driver & so everything seemed fine (& worked O.K.) until around September when I was going out late one night. As soon as I started the engine,hey! disco lights! On,off,on,off left,right then both then none, etc etc. Long story short, it turns out I needed a wiring loom to wire the HIDS directly to the battery. This was supplied to me free of charge by the supplier & I spent about a week on & off fitting the loom - I wanted it as neat as possible, so this involved removing quite a bit of trim under the bonnet/hood. Anyway, job done & all bits & pieces back in place. Hey presto, HIDS work great!! But - to stop the system throwing up a 'blown bulb' fault, the loom is supplied with 2 resistors to act as a 'load'. These resistors are encased in a heat sink about 40Cms by 20Cms with fins, but they get VERY hot when working. In fact they get so hot that I borrowed a temperature probe/gun to measure the heat. They go from 0c to 200c in 20 minutes & then level out at that temperature. Finding a place to fix them is a big problem as under normal circumstances they would be under a bonnet/hood attached to some piece of metal with plenty (?) of fresh air around. I have managed to locate them in a safe place, but I'd like know if there is a better/safer way to get round this problem with different resistors or wiring. Any help would be much appreciated & if anybody needs help with the installation of a loom, let me know. Thanks. P.S. 'PEFFYD' you seem to know your stuff - does the above sound O.K. to you, or is there a different resistor or wiring mod I can make?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts