Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
2014 Cayman S
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another horn out on the 981 Cayman, so was thinking of using aftermarket hella, PIAA, etc type horns instead of the expensive and prone to breaking OEM horns.

I'm really not a fan of splicing into the factory harness, does anyone know of an adapter harness that plugs into the factory horn connectors, or at least some method that doesn't involve cutting/splicing into the stock harness? Haven't found much luck finding the connector type, and i'd like to have the parts ready before I take the front bumper cover off (as it is my daily driver).

Did some searching on the forums, and found several links to a post on installing hella horns but the link is dead (was to p9 then reviews/cayman-performance-modifications/p488-hella-b133-horns.html).

Thanks in advance, y'all :)

· Super Moderator
338 Posts
One thing you might want to consider are using genuine PosiTaps, @geblah187 -- They're great as I'm not into cutting into the OEM wiring harness, and they leave things reversible. I just did that with the 987 alarm horn last year -- as I didn't want to spring for an adapter just to get the new horn to work...or buying an old horn that likely would fail. Works like a charm and no soldering required. Whatever you do, don't go with the 3M or knockoff style of taps - they're terrible. PosiTaps got it right.

Per my 981, I'm facing a horn replacement this spring -- as I remember one of the two tones died last year. However, I'm likely going to stay with OEM for now. (Depending on which tone died on yours, heck - I may be in the market for your good horn.) ;)

· Registered
2014 Cayman S
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One thing you might want to consider are using genuine PosiTaps, @geblah187 -- They're great as I'm not into cutting into the OEM wiring harness, and they leave things reversible. I just did that with the 987 alarm horn last year -- as I didn't want to spring for an adapter just to get the new horn to work...or buying an old horn that likely would fail. Works like a charm and no soldering required. Whatever you do, don't go with the 3M or knockoff style of taps - they're terrible. PosiTaps got it right.

Per my 981, I'm facing a horn replacement this spring -- as I remember one of the two tones died last year. However, I'm likely going to stay with OEM for now. (Depending on which tone died on yours, heck - I may be in the market for your good horn.) ;)
Thanks, I'll check those out. Any idea what gauge wire the horns are? Can always grab a couple sizes of them, but I'd guess 18?

I believe my low tone is the dead one, the remaining horn sounds high pitch and squeaky to me so likely high is working/low is inop, but I'll test both once I have them out and save the good one if ya need it :)

· Registered
1,134 Posts
FYI, it is possible to reach the horns without removing the bumper cover. As long as your arms are relatively long and skinny. I swapped mine out as one side died. Sorry I don’t recall the gauge.

Shawn in VA (USA)

· Super Moderator
338 Posts
geblah187 - Much appreciated! I have a funny feeling that I'll need the high tone, but I'll have to ask my friend to honk the horn (it's currently in storage at his place). Don't know the gauge as I haven't gone in on the 981. @ELCID86 -Great to know as I wasn't looking forward to pulling the bumper on this.

· Registered
1 Posts
orget that expensive and bulky air horn and just buy a pair of Fiamm horns at Autozone (one high, one low). If you don't have enough room for the pair, just get the low tone horn.

Wire in an automotive horn relay (maybe $5-7 also at Autozone) and an in-line fuse holder to provide power from the battery, plus some heavy duty hookup wire and crimp connectors. Plus heat shrink to keep out water.

· Administrator
2,496 Posts
I did find this, but not sure if this is the end that plugs into the harness, or replaces the harness. Can anyone who has had theirs off confirm?

Wrong end. That's the harness end. The horn connector has male pins sticking out that go into the holes in the connector illustrated. I know these well - BMW used them on a lot of their motorcycles. And WOW - that's some price for a pigtail connector. Zowie. I bet for most cars that would be a $10/max connector.

· Registered
2014 Cayman S
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wrong end. That's the harness end. The horn connector has male pins sticking out that go into the holes in the connector illustrated. I know these well - BMW used them on a lot of their motorcycles. And WOW - that's some price for a pigtail connector. Zowie. I bet for most cars that would be a $10/max connector.
Yeah, I had intentions of finding it cheaper if that was the correct end lol.

I wonder if this connector is shared with any of the Audi/VW cousins on similar model years for anything else that I could scrounge. Or does BMW maybe as you mentioned? Just hate leaving bare plugs hanging out, even wrapped in tape or similar. Time to go down a few more internet rabbit holes I suppose.

· Administrator
2,496 Posts
I poked around their website a bit - and EVERY connector they sell is $79. I suspect if you call them or email them there is a more reasonable price available.. but just guessing, maybe they do charge $79 for everything they sell.. who knows?

· Registered
2014 Cayman S
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I poked around their website a bit - and EVERY connector they sell is $79. I suspect if you call them or email them there is a more reasonable price available.. but just guessing, maybe they do charge $79 for everything they sell.. who knows?
I noticed that as well, I guess whoever does their pricing has an easy job lol.

I did find this on amazon, and was only a few bucks/looks like it may work so ordered it to see: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08GZB1M47/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

· Registered
2014 Cayman S
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So may have figured out another solution - looks like Porsche changed the connector for their OEM horns, and lists an adapter cable from old style to new style - part number 99161294700. Worst case scenario, I can grab a couple of these and cut the "new" style connector off and use that to wire to the aftermarket horns. About $30 each at my local stealership.

Not quite as cheap as I would hope, but not too bad all things considered. Two aftermarket horns and 2 harnesses are still cheaper than a single OEM horn so still ahead :)

I'll report back once I've completed the switch probably next weekend.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts