Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

Just had a Pioneer Avic Z110Bt installed in my 2007 997 Coupe (with Bose).

What they did was just bypass the Bose main amp and ran the stock Bose speakers through the Pioneer amp. With the sub, they ran line level out of the Pioneer into the Bose sub amp (so I have control over that amp separately).

No fancy rewiring, no resistors needed, no $650.00 fiber optic interface piece.

And, the piece de resistance is....It sounds better than with the Bose amp through the PCM 2.1. I mean, MUCH better!

Anyways, pictures to follow at some point. I'm working out a minor bezel issue with Eurospeed. They are sending me a new bezel this week, hopefully and then I will shoot pictures of the install (when its perfect).

Oh, btw, I now have complete Nav, bluetooth, ipod and XM for a little over$2,000.00 completely installed. And, that's with touchscreen. Also, was able to get a great jpg of the Porsche crest logo for my splash screen. Very cool! The 7" screen just blows away the PCM 2.1 screen by a long shot.

Steve

PS: I want to give a very special shout out to Loi at Euromotorspeed. He went out of his way to give me great customer service. Please give him business! (the bezel and Bose wiring harness came from him).

2007 997 Coupe
GT Silver Metallic
Full black leather interior
Turbo wheels
Power seats
Heated seats
Bi-Xenons
Bose

·
Registered
143 Posts
Hi all,

Just had a Pioneer Avic Z110Bt installed in my 2007 997 Coupe (with Bose).

What they did was just bypass the Bose main amp and ran the stock Bose speakers through the Pioneer amp. With the sub, they ran line level out of the Pioneer into the Bose sub amp (so I have control over that amp separately).

No fancy rewiring, no resistors needed, no $650.00 fiber optic interface piece.

And, the piece de resistance is....It sounds better than with the Bose amp through the PCM 2.1. I mean, MUCH better!

Anyways, pictures to follow at some point. I'm working out a minor bezel issue with Eurospeed. They are sending me a new bezel this week, hopefully and then I will shoot pictures of the install (when its perfect).

Oh, btw, I now have complete Nav, bluetooth, ipod and XM for a little over$2,000.00 completely installed. And, that's with touchscreen. Also, was able to get a great jpg of the Porsche crest logo for my splash screen. Very cool! The 7" screen just blows away the PCM 2.1 screen by a long shot.

Steve

2007 997 Coupe
GT Silver Metallic
Full black leather interior
Turbo wheels
Power seats
Heated seats
Bi-Xenons
Bose
Yep did the same for my 09 Boxster with an AVIC 910 BT back in August. Too bad I no longer have the car and my 09 997s has factory PCM 3.0 which is a different beast. Not as big as the 7" AVIC 1100 BT but does the trick just as well. Post pics. Sounds like a winner! :)
Rob

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep did the same for my 09 Boxster with an AVIC 910 BT back in August. Too bad I no longer have the car and my 09 997s has factory PCM 3.0 which is a different beast. Not as big as the 7" AVIC 1100 BT but does the trick just as well. Post pics. Sounds like a winner! :)
Rob
Before I bought my 2007 997, I looked at a 2009 Cayman with all the PCM gadgets...Bluetooth, XM, Navi and iPod integration. It was very nice, but nothing compared to an aftermarket unit like the Pioneer or Kenwood.

Steve

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Do you have a link for Euromotorspeed or another place to get a grey bezeli like that? As their webstore seems to be closed.

I think I've decided to skip trying to replace my CDR24 with a PCM 2.1+Nav, as for much less $, I can get an NICE aftermarket system with MUCH more functionality built in.

The bezel on Suncoast says black. Double DIN Radio Trim (for aftermarket radio):Suncoast Automotive Porsche, Audi, & VW :(

My '06 Cayman has the grey plastic.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Do you have a link for Euromotorspeed or another place to get a grey bezeli like that? As their webstore seems to be closed.

I think I've decided to skip trying to replace my CDR24 with a PCM 2.1+Nav, as for much less $, I can get an NICE aftermarket system with MUCH more functionality built in.

The bezel on Suncoast says black. Double DIN Radio Trim (for aftermarket radio):Suncoast Automotive Porsche, Audi, & VW :(

My '06 Cayman has the grey plastic.
Try here: PORSCHE 997 CARRERA CUSTOM 2 DIN INSTALLATION KIT -BOSE - eBay (item 220537530209 end time Apr-08-10 08:50:49 PDT)

·
Registered
1,553 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Its more $, but looks to be a more complete kit with the wiring harness, etc.

Thanks, I'll probably be purchasing one of those when I decide what I want. Currently leaning toward the Kenwood 7160.
Its a perfect match and the Bose harness saves hours of wiring. Its much cheaper in the long run...

Pay an installer to fabricate a bezel from scratch and rewire the Bose amp...Then compare that to the 275.00 or whatever Loi charges, its a bargain!

Good luck!

Steve

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Do I still need some type of fiber optic to RCA adapter if I want to use my existing BOSE amp ?
Yeah, but why would you want to spend $650.00 on an adaptor that interfaces with an inferior sounding amp? Just bypass it all together, save yourself all that money and have a better sounding system...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well b/c things seemed so complicated.

I was looking for a simple install that I could do myself!

That I'd understand what was going on.

And I think the BOSE system (speakers / amp) sounds good already.
Pay someone to do the wiring correctly and you will spend less than the $650.00 for the interface piece. And, it will sound better. Its a win-win!

Good luck,

Steve

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Pay someone to do the wiring correctly and you will spend less than the $650.00 for the interface piece. And, it will sound better. Its a win-win!

Good luck,

Steve
So you're saying I should buy the RCA to optical interface ? And have an installer put it in? I was thinking with the e-bay $270 kit and optical adapater, I'd have everything I need to do it easily myself.

B/c I wanted to do the install myself as thats part of the fun.

I've done a few installs of radios, amps, XM add-ons, etc.. over the years, mostly on my 3 brothers' (domestic/easy) cars since I'm the only technically proficient one in the family. (also fix their computers, routers, help wire their houses, etc, etc.)

Anyway I just wanted to clarify what you were suggesting.

Thanks.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So you're saying I should buy the RCA to optical interface ? And have an installer put it in? I was thinking with the e-bay

I wanted to do the install myself as thats part of the fun.

I've done a few installs of radios, amps, XM add-ons, etc.. over the years, mostly on my 3 brothers' cars since I'm the only technically proficient one in the family. (also fix their computers, routers, help wire their houses, etc, etc.)

Anyway I just wanted to clarify what you were suggesting.

Thanks.
I can see where the confusion comes in.

You DO NOT need the $650.00 interface if you know how to bypass the amp and rewire the car. You do need the $650.00 optical inteface if you want to use the Bose amp and not rewire anything.

What I meant is...save the $650.00, pay an installer to do the rewire (probably a couple hundred) and you will have a better sounding system. Use the power from the head unit to the Bose speakers. It sounds MUCH better than anything coming from the Bose amp.

I would NOT attempt doing this yourself unless you are super savvy with Porsche mechanics, electronics and how Porsche electronics are wired.

It took someone who knew what they were doing 7 (yeah that's right seven) hours to do the complete install. It WILL NOT BE FUN! and, will probably take you 3 times as long.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Steve

PS: Do you know how to get the GPS antenna through the firewall and mounted under the plastic cover by the windshield wipers? What about the conversion from the head units antenna to the Porsche antenna for radio? Just a couple of the many issues you will run into....Its not a Ford!

Pay someone who has done this before to do it right!

·
Registered
143 Posts
I can see where the confusion comes in.

You DO NOT need the $650.00 interface if you know how to bypass the amp and rewire the car. You do need the $650.00 optical inteface if you want to use the Bose amp and not rewire anything.

What I meant is...save the $650.00, pay an installer to do the rewire (probably a couple hundred) and you will have a better sounding system. Use the power from the head unit to the Bose speakers. It sounds MUCH better than anything coming from the Bose amp.

I would NOT attempt doing this yourself unless you are super savvy with Porsche mechanics, electronics and how Porsche electronics are wired.

It took someone who knew what they were doing 7 (yeah that's right seven) hours to do the complete install. It WILL NOT BE FUN! and, will probably take you 3 times as long.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Steve

PS: Do you know how to get the GPS antenna through the firewall and mounted under the plastic cover by the windshield wipers? What about the conversion from the head units antenna to the Porsche antenna for radio? Just a couple of the many issues you will run into....Its not a Ford!

Pay someone who has done this before to do it right!
Concur; my installer had done many porsches and other high end cars and it took him 2 days to do my old 2009 987 Boxster when I installed my Pioneer AVIC 910BT last Aug. It took him 1/2 day to figure out the new wiring for the BOSE system in that car and he'd done a 2008 Porsche Cayman a few days earlier. Things can be THAT different and difficult in these cars...they ain't your dad's chevy for sure! Pay somebody who knows what they're doing otherwise you'll find a world of pain and trips to the dealer and back to a stereo shop to figure out things out. They are a different beast!

·
Registered
1 Posts
So how many of the Bose speakers did they wire (outside the sub) and which ones? Also, did they wire them in serial - as the Bose speakers are 2 ohm and the pioneer amp is 4 ohm?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts