Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Porsche Fam..

I've been in the hunt for a radio upgrade for my '06 Cayman S that came with the factory installed GPS and CD player 2 DIN (i think) head unit and found out it would be somewhat costly to swap it since it would need a new harness that is a bit out of my price range... guy at the store told me it would come out to around $1200 total including the installation and with a new radio system that i would have to purchase myself since the harness for these 14 yr old models are so expensive.. I did a bit of research and found the following

Aftermarket Radio Installation Kit (997.1 / 987.1)

any thoughts or suggestions on this one?

Thank you all!

J

·
Registered
394 Posts
your options are kind of limited. You have 3 options:

1) Replace the head unit with any brand you want AND switch out the amp for a decent 5-channel amp. I don't think you need to replace or rewire the speakers.
2) Same as option 1 except you buy a MOST HUR adapter and use the Bose amp and speakers
3) Buy a ipod/bluetooth unit that replaces the CD changer in the MOST Loop (the brand escapes me at the moment)

I did option 1 a few years ago and the price you got sounds about right. Just recently I replaced all the speakers including the Bassbox on the back shelf. So, all in I'm about $2k into this project.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just redid my whole system. Pioneer head unit, door speakers and behind seat powered sub. Ordered face plate kit from Amazon and wiring harness on eBay. Installed at Best Buy. $1400 all in

·
Registered
472 Posts
I'd suggest visiting Find what fits your car - Crutchfield - and picking out your car. They have wiring harness adaptors to make things plug and play. Cost is generally less than from SunCoast. Yours will require the optical fiber adaptor (MOST adaptor) probably since you have a CD changer - that usually means BOSE and fiber loop.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Also, to directly answer your question - the part you reference in your link is only for the surround. If you read, you need another $550 for the MOST harness adaptor. You can find those MOST adapters pretty cheap on Amazon and eBay.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts