Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Northeast Member
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've searched for pics, but there are only a few and they are mostly of the antenna mounts. I have an 09 Bosxter S with the CDR30 and Bose, Bluetooth and universal audio, but no satellite. I am looking for suggestions on both the antenna and reciever mount with pictures of the locations. Any pics?

·
Super Moderator
6,027 Posts
Here's my setup in my 2009. I have a Sirius Stiletto 2, mounted on a ProClip. The power cord is hardwired into the fuse box, and output audio is connected to the AUX jack of the Universal Audio Interface. It's easy to string the cord across the driver's footwell over to the passenger side as there's a hole behind the center console. The antenna is mounted on the plastic cowl in front of the front windshield and held in place with a neodymium magnet. The antenna cord is just strung around the passenger side doorsill and into the passenger compartment.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I can try to get some pics later, but I have the antenna mounted at the bottom of the passenger A-pillar directly behind the windshield. It is held in place with 3M double-stick tape. The wire is then routed behind the rubber door seal, under the glove box, behind the center console, and then pops out between the center console and driver's lower dash.

I have a Roady XT receiver which is mounted to the bare flat surface of the driver's lower dash to the right of the steering wheel. It is not easy to see the display in that location, but I rarely change channels. I wanted a place that did not leave the receiver out in the open so I can leave the top down and not have to remove.

I've had the antenna and receiver mounted as described above since last April with no issues.

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
I am also planning on a sattellite radio install and would appreciate more pictures if you guys can get them posted.
Thanks........Barry

·
Registered
5 Posts
The antenna is mounted on the plastic cowl in front of the front windshield and held in place with a neodymium magnet. The antenna cord is just strung around the passenger side doorsill and into the passenger compartment.
What configuration of magnet are you using? I decided to try this approach and ordered a 2"x2"x0.125" square neodymium magnet (~32 lbs pull force) thinking this would really latch onto the antenna. I was thoroughly disappointed in the actual results. Obviously, the magnet I chose was not the right answer, so I am looking for what others have used.

·
Super Moderator
6,027 Posts
What configuration of magnet are you using? I decided to try this approach and ordered a 2"x2"x0.125" square neodymium magnet (~32 lbs pull force) thinking this would really latch onto the antenna. I was thoroughly disappointed in the actual results. Obviously, the magnet I chose was not the right answer, so I am looking for what others have used.
I used a 2" diameter round nickel-plated neodymium rare earth magnet, with a 40lb pulling force. Got a set of 5 of them off eBay for a few dollars. Only had to use one and it's held the antenna to the cowl nicely for the last 4.5 months now.

You need to make absolutely sure that there is NOTHING between the magnet and the antenna except for the plastic cowl, or you will need a VERY strong magnet. I used the part of the cowl between the 2 windshield wiper joints.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply. I wouldn't think there would be much difference between a 2" round or 2" square magnet. Are you using the smaller square antenna, or the larger disc antenna?

·
Super Moderator
6,027 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply. I wouldn't think there would be much difference between a 2" round or 2" square magnet. Are you using the smaller square antenna, or the larger disc antenna?
I'm using the slightly larger disc antenna, also known as the Sirius Micro-Dot. Lower center of gravity and more surface area for the magnet to grip. Better reception too.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Attached is a picture of what I did with a Sirius Sportster 5 in my '09 S with equipment similar to yours. FYI, the audio cable is attached to the audio connector by the arm rest.

I mounted the antenna on the plastic piece between the rear of the hood and front of the windshield. The antenna has a magnet in it, so I epoxied a metal piece to the bottom of the plastic piece to hold the antenna in place. I also used some double-stick tape just to be sure.

I've searched for pics, but there are only a few and they are mostly of the antenna mounts. I have an 09 Bosxter S with the CDR30 and Bose, Bluetooth and universal audio, but no satellite. I am looking for suggestions on both the antenna and reciever mount with pictures of the locations. Any pics?

·
Northeast Member
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the pic Pete. In the perfect world, I would like to find a unit that fits the small cubby at the bottom of the center stack. I am picturing a unit that looks like a factory install when done, but haven't seen anything like that yet.....I will continue to look!
Dave

·
Super Moderator
6,027 Posts
Thanks for the pic Pete. In the perfect world, I would like to find a unit that fits the small cubby at the bottom of the center stack. I am picturing a unit that looks like a factory install when done, but haven't seen anything like that yet.....I will continue to look!
Dave
Take a look at this thread. suneet did a very clean install of a now-discontinued Sirius receiver in the area you're talking about. Although it's discontinued you may be able to find it used or on eBay.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts