Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of getting the 997 Turbo wheels for my Cayman, and I have a few questions. First, is there an aftermarket brand anybody recommends? Any ones to avoid? Is forged aluminum worth the extra dollars? Is there a big difference between 18's vs. 19's? It seems most bloggers almost prefer the 18's. Finally, how do I know if they'll fit a Cayman? Most online places will tell you they will, but what info do I need to confirm this? Believe it or not, the wheels from the delaership cost about $8000!!!!!!!!!! Thanks, everybody!

Froggy

·
Borlafide member of Northeast Group
789 Posts
Damn there are so many to choose from and I'm sure you'll open up a can of worms with this topic...I just wish I could change wheels as easily as changing my clothes because I see so many I love I don't think I could find a set I could live with, without looking at the greener side of the lawn

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
I referred a company to be a sponsor here a long time ago called raderwerks. guy that runs it is called Russ. Nice guy, i would recommend going through him.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Damn there are so many to choose from and I'm sure you'll open up a can of worms with this topic...I just wish I could change wheels as easily as changing my clothes because I see so many I love I don't think I could find a set I could live with, without looking at the greener side of the lawn
+1

Wheel selection makes or breaks a car's look.

In terms of actual specs, here's what we and Forgestar recommend:

Front: 19x8.5 +45 ET
Rear: 19x10 +38 ET

You can also go with 18" with the same width and offset for reduced unsprung weight.

If you need any help, send us a PM or give us a call, no need to pay $8000 for a quality forged wheel!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Like others said, there is a while gamut of wheels out there from standard off the shelf cast wheels to custom forged wheels that are built to spec. If you go with a custom wheel, you don't have to worry about it fitting as they are built to your vehicle and order. If you order an off the shelf wheel, you need to pay attention to widths, offsets and bolt patterns.

The main factor is your budget, wheels range dramatically in pricing and this will help narrow down the options (or widen them).

·
Registered
620 Posts

·
Northeast Caymans
478 Posts
I would also love to get a nice set of black 18" or 19" wheels, at a good price. Just haven't seen anything I like...very frustrating.

·
Registered
415 Posts
We will be presenting some instock new Fikse one and three peice wheel specials for forum members in the next week or so, at great prices.... :)

Cheers

·
Super Moderator
6,027 Posts
I'm thinking of getting the 997 Turbo wheels for my Cayman, and I have a few questions. First, is there an aftermarket brand anybody recommends?
The 997 Turbo style wheels are made by Porsche. I've seen some aftermarket replicas of these wheels that are significantly cheaper, but I have no idea what the quality is like.

Any ones to avoid?
Remember, the wheels and tires are what keep your car on the road, so don't skimp. That doesn't mean you have to pay $5k for a good set of wheels, but if you're paying $500 for a set of wheels you are pretty much getting what you're paying for.

Is forged aluminum worth the extra dollars?
Depends on what your priorities are. Forged wheels tend to be lighter and stronger than their cast counterparts, but most cast wheels are fine. With the exception of the OEM 997 Turbo wheels, which are forged, the rest of Porsche's OEM wheel offerings are cast.

Is there a big difference between 18's vs. 19's?
The primary differences are looks (subjective), ride quality (19's will give you a rougher ride), and costs (19's are more expensive, as are 19" tires).

It seems most bloggers almost prefer the 18's. Finally, how do I know if they'll fit a Cayman? Most online places will tell you they will, but what info do I need to confirm this? Believe it or not, the wheels from the delaership cost about $8000!!!!!!!!!! Thanks, everybody!

Froggy
You might try Wheel Enhancement first, one of our sponsors. They specialize in Porsche wheels and their site has a search engine that will pull up a gallery of compatible wheels (OEM and aftermarket) that fit your car. Also, if you have your heart set on Porsche OEM wheels they sometimes stock used/take-off/traded-in Porsche wheels that are significantly cheaper than from a dealership.

All of the brands Wheel Enhancement sells are very good and they're very helpful and responsive if you have any questions.

Porsche Wheels, Tires and Accessories

Another alternative is to get in on some of the group buys that are being offered right now. For example, CampioniShop is offering ForgeStar wheels that look really nice, at an insane price (less than $1500 for a set of 4). Take a look at our Sponsors forum for more details.

·
Registered
358 Posts
FWIW, one thing I've always considered when buying wheels is how easy will they be to keep clean? If you like to keep your calipers and inner wheels free of brake dust, consider a design that you can easily reach through from the outside vs having to crawl under the car, or remove the wheels to clean.

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
FWIW, one thing I've always considered when buying wheels is how easy will they be to keep clean? If you like to keep your calipers and inner wheels free of brake dust, consider a design that you can easily reach through from the outside vs having to crawl under the car, or remove the wheels to clean.
Good point. Or just buy wheels the color of brake dust :)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Give me a call. We have many quality options.

I'm thinking of getting the 997 Turbo wheels for my Cayman, and I have a few questions. First, is there an aftermarket brand anybody recommends? Any ones to avoid? Is forged aluminum worth the extra dollars? Is there a big difference between 18's vs. 19's? It seems most bloggers almost prefer the 18's. Finally, how do I know if they'll fit a Cayman? Most online places will tell you they will, but what info do I need to confirm this? Believe it or not, the wheels from the delaership cost about $8000!!!!!!!!!! Thanks, everybody!

Froggy

·
Cayman Register Advocate
7,305 Posts
You will also want to read up on the TPMS system. Many people don't realize that since the Cayman's introduction there have been 2 revisions to the TPMS system and the sensors are not interchangable. You need to get the correct sensors for your system.

·
Middle-Aged Porsche Punk
997 Posts
We will be presenting some instock new Fikse one and three peice wheel specials for forum members in the next week or so, at great prices.... :)

Cheers
Actually, I like what look like the Fuchs-style rims on your avatar-car. Are those 18's or 19's?

·
Registered
415 Posts
Actually, I like what look like the Fuchs-style rims on your avatar-car. Are those 18's or 19's?

Thanks! Those are indeed Fuch replica wheels, in 17 inch. The ones in the pic are off my 911 race car the that I just bolted on for the photo. We developed those for a third party as a private label product for them.

Three piece with hidden ARP fasteners. 6061 T6 rim shells with Forged 6061 T6 CNC machined centers. Super light and super strong. 100% made in North America.

Cheers

·
Registered
975 Posts
I have the 997 turbo style wheels as an option on my car. Always liked the looks, and they're easy to clean.

Biggest downside as I discovered recently is even a small scratch/rash on the metal surface isn't something local shops want to touch.

At least they were honest with me and said in the past no customer has ever been happy with repairs on these wheels. Which means replacement and sticker shock is what I'm facing at the moment... Its almost less expensive to buy a full set of replicas than one replacement oem wheel :(

1 - 20 of 21 Posts