Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

Just wanted to let everyone know that I recently installed the following aftermarket wireless backup camera and rear view mirror kit in my 2014 boxster S and it works great! My car is a Middle East spec so it had the European license plate without ugly bumps like the US spec.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M260I3Z/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Because I have the CDR system and not the PCM, I decided to go with a unit that has a video screen in a replacement rear view mirror. This unit is nice because it slips over the existing mirror and is the same height as the existing mirror so there is no issue in adjusting the new "mirror" sandwich :)

Total install took about 2 hours because I didn't know what I was doing and only needed 2 tools (a star driver and wire strippers) :)

The beautiful thing is that the car has convenient holes behind the license plate bracket to route the camera wires through.

I don't have any pictures, but this is what I did:

Install the camera
1 - remove rear trunk carpet, just fold it up till you get it out.
2 - remove the license plate
3 - remove the small grommet underneath the trunk lock mechanism
4 - run the camera cable through the small hole behind the license plate bracket and out through the grommet using a coat hanger or similar
5 - poke a small hole in the grommet and run the camera cable through the grommet, then reinstall the grommet

Install the wireless video sender
6 - splice the video sender's power wire into the backup light wire (blue with black stripe wire in the bundle of wires under the trunk lock mechanism). I tied in on the drivers side next to one of the floor pan bolts.
7 - loosen one of the floor pan bolts and connect the video sender's ground to it, then re-tighten.
8 - connect the camera cable to the video sender and then mount the video sender on the top portion of the trunk area below the lid. There is a nice place just behind some big plastic molding.

Install the new mirror
9 - slip the mirror over the existing mirror using rubber straps provided
10 - decide if you want to plug the mirror power adapter into the glove box, or the passenger foot box cigarette lighter.
11 - route the power adapter cable from either the glove box or passenger foot box up toward the mirror by going through the passenger A-pillar and then across the headliner behind the plastic trim.
12 - connect the mirror cable to the power adapter cable and you are done.

Test it out
13 - fire up the car and put the vehicle in reverse. After about 1 second, video comes on in the mirror with guide lines as well.
14 - reinstall the trunk carpet and enjoy!

I literally didn't need any tools other than 1 star driver for the floorboard screw and a wire stripper :)

Sorry I don't have any pictures, I was working in a hurry in an underground parking garage using a headlamp for light :). Not exactly the best conditions for documenting.

Hope this is helpful for anyone out there!

·
Incurable Gearhead
1,007 Posts
A couple of months back I installed the very same setup in my wife's Fiesta ST (that I can't stop driving) and it's been working fine, but you'll see some weird stuff on rare occasion. For example, not long ago I was out in the car at night and the display suddenly came on with a super bright very static-y screen. Just flat blinding. I was next to one of those giant Japanese SUVs. Armada, Flotilla, Atoll, whatever. Kids in back staring at bright screens on the back of the front headrests. Dunno what sorta setup. Could have been tablets, could have been factory screens. Anyway, as we traveled along, I soon realized that their in-car entertainment system was what was causing my mirror to light up like a loon. I could reliably control the madness by varying the distance to this SUV.

This has happened twice now, the second time was super brief from an oncoming car on a slow two lane street. The road was empty except for us and my mirror display flickered to life, became brighter, went crazy, became dimmer and flickered out, all as the oncoming car approached, passed and went away.

A least this interference not a common thing at all. Great image and the LEDs really pop at night. I also like how it tucks its camera bracket behind the license plate. Very tidy.

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
Cool solution, maybe a couple of pics showing the camera mounted out back and the mirror assembly in the car?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Arch,

That could definitely be a problem on occasion. The system is 2.4ghz, so there's lots of devices on the frequency.

Westcoaster, I'll try to remember to take some pics next time I drive it. Unfortunately I'm getting a trio of PSM failure, auto start stop disabled, and engine fault control errors at the moment, so I need to get it to the shop (which is a royal pita here in Qatar).

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Okay, here are some pics of the setup.

Camera mounted on the license plate frame.

Mirror in normal setup.

Canera on with brakes on indoor garage.

Camera on with no brakes outside at night.

Only thing I don't like is the pretty serious fisheye effect. Otherwise I'm really happy with the camera setup.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.