Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question regarding the tones in the agate/amber two-tone versus the full leather option that uses the same colors. When I look at the dash of the full leather car, the agate color of the leather matches the exterior color. Looks very good. In the two-tone option where the amber/orange is used for the seat insert, some door trim, console cover, and binnacle, the agate grey seat color seems a LOT more graphite than agate to my eye. These two colors - both supposed to be agate - look different to me. Has anyone noticed this? Its been suggested that this difference is lighting, but having seen the two-tone version with my own eyes, I am very skeptical.

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
I have a question regarding the tones in the agate/amber two-tone versus the full leather option that uses the same colors. When I look at the dash of the full leather car, the agate color of the leather matches the exterior color. Looks very good. In the two-tone option where the amber/orange is used for the seat insert, some door trim, console cover, and binnacle, the agate grey seat color seems a LOT more graphite than agate to my eye. These two colors - both supposed to be agate - look different to me. Has anyone noticed this? Its been suggested that this difference is lighting, but having seen the two-tone version with my own eyes, I am very skeptical.
I have the "Leather Pkg" where the orange is used for the inserts, etc. The Agate pieces are a very close match to the dash (and other interior trim), not graphite. The exterior Agate paint is actually more graphite (less brown) than the interior trim. Must have been the lighting (it is hard to capture this interior accurately). The photo here is a good representation.

zoom.jpg

·
Registered
124 Posts
Here is a picture of my Agate/Pebble interior. If anything I would say that the Agate dash on the full leather is a little darker probably because it is leather but I think the two tone seats and the other accents in Agate/Pebble or Agate/Amber look great.

Car and Driver even said it was the best value of the options that are offered (other than the no cost smoking package). In addition to the two tone seats, for $640 you get Agate instead of black for the carpet, mats, dash, door panels, and center console plus Pebble, Amber or Lime Gold leather for the instrument cluster cover, center console storage compartment lid, door panel armrests, and door handles. There is a thread about changing just the door handles and the cost was more than this package.

Depending on where you are located in NJ and if the weather ever turns nice you are welcome to see my interior in person. interior.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info. Check out this picture of a Boxster with agate exterior and the two-tone interior. This is why I was saying they look different. It was an overcast day, but agate exterior and interior look very different to me (the top edge of the inside of the door was what I focused on in terms of the interior).

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Comparing Rocksquirrel's pictures to kraut's, the agate/pebble combo looks like it has a brown hue to it. I downloaded the pics and put them up on my monitor to get a better view. I think my Boxster picture matches what kraut has posted, so what's up with the agate/pebble picture? I guess I am trying to figure out which one is more 'correct', but maybe lighting is more important than I thought.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Comparing Rocksquirrel's pictures to kraut's, the agate/pebble combo looks like it has a brown hue to it. I downloaded the pics and put them up on my monitor to get a better view. I think my Boxster picture matches what kraut has posted, so what's up with the agate/pebble picture? I guess I am trying to figure out which one is more 'correct', but maybe lighting is more important than I thought.
I have seen all three of the Agate combinations first hand and the Agate portion is the same regardless of whether it is with Pebble, Amber or Lime Gold. You could say that there is a hint of brown/putty in the Agate interior. What you may be seeing could be because of the lighting and the colors that the Agate is next to. The Agate exterior is not the same as the Agate interior if that is what you are expecting.

Here is a link to another thread about the color of the Agate interior. http://www.planet-9.com/981-cayman-...g/95144-agate-grey-amber-orange-question.html

Reactions: swessels

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
The leather version of the Agate is going to behave a little differently in different lighting conditions than the plastic or vinyl versions. It's entirely possible they looked different to you because of this. That's just the nature of different materials.

That said... I know it's a bit pricey, but spring for the full leather. It's REALLY nice. :)

·
Registered
845 Posts
I ordered agate/amber interior without seeing it in person, was bored with black and wanted more sporty look. Agate grey exterior looks classy, but none of the dealers in NY have a car with this ext/int combo, so have to wait til the car arrives :eek:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think Rockysquirrel answered the question that I was trying to get at. The agate grey in the two-tone does not match the exterior color. I just assumed it would be closer than what I saw in the Boxster that I looked at with that interior. It also seemed to me that the agate leather in the full leather was closer in tone to the exterior color. I don't know if that is true or not. Also, from the Boxster I saw, it wasn't clear to me that the agate exterior and interior even went that well together. That's when I tried to figure out what was going on with the agate grey inside and outside the car and any differences between full leather and two-tone.

I really appreciate all the feedback on my question. What happened is that I ordered a Cayman S with agate exterior and agate/amber orange interior. I assumed that the outside and inside agate grey were going to be close. My dealer is a great guy and I have the option of not taking the car. Now that I see the colors aren't what I expected I'm thinking of going in a different direction.

Bottom line is that in the picture I posted above, the grey exterior and interior seem to clash a little. That's what got me going on this topic.

·
Registered
138 Posts
The agate gray exterior seems to change color depending on the viewpoint. I had the Cayman parked next to our umber metallic Cayenne, and from one angle it looked almost the same color. From another angle it looked more gray. Our Cayman has the full leather agate/pebble gray interior and it looks great with the agate exterior. I think you'd be quite happy with the agate/amber.

·
Registered
746 Posts
I have Agate Grey exterior and Agate/Amber interior in full leather so I may be a bit biased. The Agate Grey exterior is metallic so depending on the light conditions sometimes you'll see more brown and sometimes more grey. The interior Agate is a really dark brown (kind of like really nice furniture) and the amber is like a nice baseball glove. At the time I ordered, there wasn't a vehicle with Amber available for me to see in person, but I took a chance and the manager at the dealership said I wouldn't have to accept the order if I hated it. Luckily, I love it. If you were on the PNW region, I'd invite you over to take a look. Note that I also have the Platinum Satin wheels and those are a closer match to the exterior color.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Agate grey with those wheels (Pokerhobo) looks great. Another item I missed on my order! I think the full leather you have looks great on the car. I don't think the two-tone gives the car the same look though. Lots of options and as much as I scoured the configurator and the web, I probably wasn't patient enough. Having ordered these cars before, at some point, you just want to turn the key.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts