Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a new set of 18" Michelin Pilot SSs today (Jan 28 2015) for my 2006 Cayman S and was curious about the date of manufacter. The rears were made in the 34th and 35th weeks of 2014 and the fronts were in the 45 and 46 weeks of 2014. That seems more recent that I would have expected. Is that time period about right for Michelin SSs?

·
Registered
575 Posts
I purchased a new set of 18" Michelin Pilot SSs today (Jan 28 2015) for my 2006 Cayman S and was curious about the date of manufacter. The rears were made in the 34th and 35th weeks of 2014 and the fronts were in the 45 and 46 weeks of 2014. That seems more recent that I would have expected. Is that time period about right for Michelin SSs?
So you are saying they are too new?

Reactions: Kindrunnermike

·
Premium Member
3,495 Posts
Michelin Pilot Super Sports are very popular. If you buy from a high volume vendor...or one who buys from Tire Rack, the tires don't sit very long in the warehouse. New tires are better than old tires.

I'm planning to buy new ones this Spring good to know that I'll likely get new ones this time too.

:cheers:

Reactions: ocgarza

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So you are saying they are too new?
Yes these tires are far too recently made to put any miles on them quite yet :crazy:. Actually I was thinking Michelin must be selling literally "boatloads" of these tires for them to be so "fresh."

I called Discount Tire yesterday and was told the tires were in stock at the warehouse in San Antonio and could be in Victoria by 1pm today so I set an appointment for 2. They called at 1 to confirm the tires arrived and within 30 minutes they were mounted on the car. I went on a forty minute ride through some back country roads outside Victoria (Texas). Temperature was an ideal 75 degrees F, with bright sunny skies. I immediately noticed a softer, quieter ride than my old PS2s. During a long straightaway I hit about double the speed limit in the typical quickness that the Cayman S is capable of, and liked the control and precision the tires provided.

This region was in the middle of an oil boom (google Eagle Ford Shale) and I have never seen more sports cars - European, American and Japanese - on our local roads in my life. Could it be the tires here are fresher than other parts of the country because of the local economy?
(Granted the recent drop in the price of oil will definitely slow down the economy here but at least we have cheaper gas! I filled up at a Shell station today and super unleaded was $2.09 per gallon. WOW)

Anyway, I wondered if other buyers had a similar manufacture date.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
PSS tires get a lot of love in general for European cars. One of the highest treadwear ratings, one of the least road noise, decent wet drip and decent dry grip for street use. For those who don't track and don't mind/notice the softer sidewalls ... there really isn't really much better out there.

Tire shops in my town have nearly half their sales volume for higher powered European cars in general, so they go through the inventory very quickly. That's how popular these things are. The tires sell so well in here that they run for some 15% cheaper than Yokohama AD08Rs and RE11s. And remember how much the Japanese Yen has dropped in the past 2 years. Dealers stock these PSSs up, and would generally have 1 to 2 months of wait time on the other tires. It's really a night and day difference in terms of demand and willingness to stock these up by dealers.

Unfortunately I'm one of the few who don't like the PSS tires, and it's a ridiculous chore to locate inventory on something else. I'm settling for Pirelli Trofeo R in the tire change coming up soon ...

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Zinger, that's interesting and explains the costs too. The PSS rears were $90 cheaper than PS2s and the front set was $73 less expensive, so that's $160 savings on all four. PS2s were on the car when I bought it earlier this month but the prior owner had not driven it much, still they were nice tires. Any tracking I do will be with the Longhorn Porsche Club out of San Antonio and it won't be too serious on my end. But as you say, for my driving,I see a bit of improvement in the PSS.

·
Premium Member
3,495 Posts
PSS tires get a lot of love in general for European cars. One of the highest treadwear ratings, one of the least road noise, decent wet drip and decent dry grip for street use. For those who don't track and don't mind/notice the softer sidewalls ... there really isn't really much better out there.

Tire shops in my town have nearly half their sales volume for higher powered European cars in general, so they go through the inventory very quickly. That's how popular these things are. The tires sell so well in here that they run for some 15% cheaper than Yokohama AD08Rs and RE11s. And remember how much the Japanese Yen has dropped in the past 2 years. Dealers stock these PSSs up, and would generally have 1 to 2 months of wait time on the other tires. It's really a night and day difference in terms of demand and willingness to stock these up by dealers.

Unfortunately I'm one of the few who don't like the PSS tires, and it's a ridiculous chore to locate inventory on something else. I'm settling for Pirelli Trofeo R in the tire change coming up soon ...
Z:

Trofeo R are DOT race tires....Compete with Pilot Cups. Fun tire if you don't put miles on your car. Is the car in HK? That would explain a lot. Still, an expensive tire with high limits you'll never likely use. From what I hear, the price is near Pilot Cups too. Tire Rack doesn't show either the Trofeo or Trofeo R in Porsche sizes.

You may have unique requirements. I'd never tell anyone they're getting the wrong tire, but other readers should know that Trofeo R is a different class of tire than a PSS.

btw: I've done 2 track events on my PSS. One in late Fall and one in Spring. They were perfect for late Fall, which was a high of 50F all day. The Spring event was 3 days. I was an instructor for 2 of them but still, it was a bit too hot out for PSS. I had good runs, but the tires aren't the same anymore. Track days do take their toll on PSS.

They are great tires, though, and I'm getting another set. The combo of low tread wear, low noise, nice ride and incredibly high limits so long as you don't get them super hot, is pretty hard to beat. Also, the tires themselves are light in weight compared to some others. I think that contributes to the ride quality.

At Tire Rack last year, PSS had a rebate deal here that made them the same price as Hankook Ventus RS-3, which used to be considered the bargain track/street tire for Porsche. Great prices, fresh rubber for a do-all terrific tire. I'm going with the crowd on this one.

Have Nitto NT-01 for track use when it's hot out. They hold up better to track temps, stick a little better, have decent street ride for an R tire so I don't mind driving home from the track on them. Tread noise is more, but not bad like the Yoko A048s I had once.

:cheers:

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Too new. Must be fakes. :hilarious:

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Z:

You may have unique requirements. I'd never tell anyone they're getting the wrong tire, but other readers should know that Trofeo R is a different class of tire than a PSS.
I understand where you are coming from actually. Trofeo R is DOT approved R Compound, whereas PSS is very much performance street tires. In fact, I am having such hard time on finding tires that it's driving me crazy.

I do live in Hong Kong, and half the time the car sits through lower speed traffic. I've been using RE11 tires on my cars for many years, and I can easily get 15,000 miles on those when they don't see the track while most people in other parts of the world would complain the treadwear. I love these tires, and would really use them again. Unfortunately, the distributor in Hong Kong no longer carries the RE11 tires anymore, nor RE11A. I could special order them, and they would arrive in May or June. My current RE11 tires are probably ok for streets, but not good for track duty anymore (early 2010 tires). I'll be heading to the track for 2 days in early March, so I'm just going through the list of options for my OEM 19" wheels:

1. Continental ContiForceContact is a new tire that my friends have had extremely good results on their 7.1 and 7.2 RS cars with low to mediocre track duties, but Continental does not offer rear tires for Cayman's size on their new CFC tires.

2. Yokohama AD08Ris probably the closet thing to RE11 tires. However, the local distributor won't have shipment coming in until mid March -- too late for me. I have contacted the distributor in Japan, and they told me (somehow) they cannot offer the size in the Japanese market even if I could pay for one-off shipping. I spent 2 weeks on this and they couldn't do it. Tirerack in the US would not ship Yokohama tires to Asia, and also rumor has it that the tires Yoko sells to US are inferior to the ones in Japan/Asia (really?)

3. PSS is something is something I personally do not like. I know all the good things about them. Lighter, good wear, good in rain, decent grip etc. But honestly, I have been on RE11 tires on years, and have driven a few RWD cars in typhoons (i.e. Level 1 to Level 2 hurricanes) and have managed. So I don't think the extra wet grip is a concern (knock on the wood). Then comes noise level, which never bothers me. Then treadwear, not a concern as well. Despite all the positives others find, I find PSS tires to numb down the steering a bit and lacks feedback. I also noticed more roll on my friend's car with exact same suspension setup (Bilstein Damptronics). My friends think I'm crazy that I don't like PSS tires and insist on putting RE11 tires through all these years, but then that's really how I feel.

I do drive the car in the rain, so having no rain channels would be a no no for me. Granted, my car will be seeing less daily driving duties in the coming years, and will become more of a weekend spirited drive + occasional track days car. So I started to think about Michelin Cups and Trofeo Rs. The NT01 and R888 tires wouldn't really suit me, as I get pretty paranoid about not having proper rain channels in tires. My friends with RS cars claim the Pirellis Trofeo Rs are a little better than the Michelin Cup tires under heavy rain should I ever get stuck in something like that.

So yes, I'm having a lot of problems with tires. I could theoretically get a set of 18" OEM wheels and have them as dedicated track tires -- which would allow me to get tires like A050 and forget about the rain channel altogether. Space for storing the tires would be an issue, and it's a little painful to change the wheels etc. when I don't have (space to store) proper jacks and torque wrenches etc. At the moment I chose Trofeo R because of low speeds involved in HK, even if they are spirited drives. And then they probably would have some reasonable amount of treads left when I'm done with the track days ... and could still use them on the streets ...

Anyway, sorry for writing an essay on this. Ideally it's PSS or AD08R for streets, and whatever tires on the track. At the same time, I'm not even sure if I would wanna go to 18" for my track tires either down the road (that's another whole can of worms). I really hope Continental CFCs will come in Cayman sizes. Their cost is also much more reasonable. I have contacted Continental sales about this, and they said there is no plan on having Cayman rear tire size (265/35/19) in 2015.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts