Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok , today I installed the agency exhaust with the dream1 piece (I alreaby had).
This is a very high quality product!!

With the windows open it sounds amazing .....but with them closed i don't like it so much....it does drone qute a bit more than oem ...not my cup of tea.

Im selling to anybody interested in Europe (as I have already paid the customs to import from the USA)

·
Premium Member
3,810 Posts
Sorry to hear that it didn't work out for you, that's one of the problems with trying to select an aftermarket exhaust without being able to hear it in person. I gave up my Fabspeed after 8 months because I got tired of the drone driving around town, though I loved it on the track.

Have you looked into the Carnewal exhaust (they are based in Belgium)? They take a stock CS exhaust and modify it for a little more sound and performance. A member in the UK told me that it has no more drone than the stock exhaust, and the price is pretty good (with a core exchange).

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have seen the carnewall product and it is in a very reasonable price. The drawback is that if I don't like it.. i will have no OEM exhaust to replace it with...

·
Premium Member
3,810 Posts
Well, since I believe you have to pay a deposit for the core exchange when you order the exhaust anyway, you could probably just try it out for a few days before you send them your original exhaust.

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
I don't think moving the tips are going to lessen the drone. It's too bad this didn't work for you. I thought by reading the reviews that this could be about the only aftermarket exhaust that did not have drone.

I had a Z4 with a Stebro exhaust and it made a lot of drone. I called the manufacture and complained about the drone and he sent me out a pair of resonated tips. These tips are spot welded inside the exhaust tips and the function is to create turbulence. This reduced drone considerably, like 95%. The tips are hard to find though and I don't know if Stebro would sell them without their exhaust.

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
Re: Fabspeed Exhaust drone....

Wow, I've got to try extending out my tips with the new Fabspeed mufflers I have. The drone is a real pain! I talked to Fabspeed about it and they were mystified and said their product was essentially "droneless". I also had trouble getting the crossover pipe joint in close enough not to leak around the compression slots in the pipes. This is a matter of forcing the two mufflers as close as possible together to seal the joint in the crossover pipe.
Any leakage in this joint really makes the exhaust louder. I was reluctant to extend the tail pipes out too far for fear of damaging them, but I'll do anything to kill that 2k RPM cabin drone.
:thanks:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Ok , today I installed the agency exhaust with the dream1 piece (I alreaby had).
This is a very high quality product!!

With the windows open it sounds amazing .....but with them closed i don't like it so much....it does drone qute a bit more than oem ...not my cup of tea.

Im selling to anybody interested in Europe (as I have already paid the customs to import from the USA)
Try the FVD muffler - it has absolutely NO DRONE and it sounds fantastic!! I have the louder Export Version on my 2009 Boxster S and I couldn't be happier. They have a quieter TUV (Europe) Version as well. The quality is top notch and the +11HP (crank) gain they advertise is definitely there. And Rhonda at FVD is a pleasure to work with - check it out!!

·
Cayman Register Advocate
7,305 Posts
Try the FVD muffler - it has absolutely NO DRONE and it sounds fantastic!! I have the louder Export Version on my 2009 Boxster S and I couldn't be happier. They have a quieter TUV (Europe) Version as well. The quality is top notch and the +11HP (crank) gain they advertise is definitely there. And Rhonda at FVD is a pleasure to work with - check it out!!
Do you have the FVD system on your Boxster?

I have the speedART system on my 2007, which is essentially the same system. I'd like to respectfully disagree with the 'Absolutely NO DRONE' statement. Unless of course the 2009 engine is somehow less prone to drone than the 2007. I also think the Boxster is less prone to drone because it doesn't experience the horn effect that the hard rear hatch delivers.

Any time anyone says "NO DRONE" when describing an exhaust system, I raise an eyebrow. Heck, I recently read this very claim describing the Agency system that you're referring to.

I recently installed the Agency Power exhaust about two weeks ago and thought I'd share my opinions here.

<<<<trimmed>>>>

When Agency Power said there was "no drone" I honestly didn't believe them, every aftermarket exhaust has drone I hear. But to my surprise they were right! Trust me and my mechanic when we say that there is absolutely NO DRONE at ANY RPM, under ANY condition.
I've had 4 different systems on my car, including the stock, and I've ridden in or driven many other Caymans with other systems. I've experienced drone from every one of them. Sometimes strong, sometimes not so strong, but never 'No Drone'.

I have not ridden in a Capristo equipped Cayman, but many owners have said that in the quiet mode it does not drone. I've seen enough of these statements to believe it's true.

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
Re: Exhaust drone....

Well I extended my Fabspeed tips about 1/2" (all I could) and it did reduce the cabin sound, but not as much as I'd like. Beware of claims about drone on a Boxster vs. a Cayman. The Cayman motor cover and rear storage deck are like speaker diaphrams. Any road sound (exhaust, etc.) will nicely come back into the cabin. I think that extending the tips is a way to get less exhaust sound back into the cabin via the undercarriage and motor cover. I wonder if Fabspeed has longer tips? I have seen special tips with silencing systems on them which are claimed to kill drone. The clue here is that the exhaust sounds great outside the car, but has a nasty resonance or drone at constant speed inside. To make things worse, I have a PDK with a 7th overdrive gear which puts me at 2k RPM at 65 MPH. This is in the dead center of the dreaded "drone-zone" and forces me to run at higher RPMs in 6th gear to avoid the drone.
:(

·
Registered
32 Posts
Do you have the FVD system on your Boxster?

I have the speedART system on my 2007, which is essentially the same system. I'd like to respectfully disagree with the 'Absolutely NO DRONE' statement. Unless of course the 2009 engine is somehow less prone to drone than the 2007. I also think the Boxster is less prone to drone because it doesn't experience the horn effect that the hard rear hatch delivers.

Any time anyone says "NO DRONE" when describing an exhaust system, I raise an eyebrow. Heck, I recently read this very claim describing the Agency system that you're referring to.

I've had 4 different systems on my car, including the stock, and I've ridden in or driven many other Caymans with other systems. I've experienced drone from every one of them. Sometimes strong, sometimes not so strong, but never 'No Drone'.

I have not ridden in a Capristo equipped Cayman, but many owners have said that in the quiet mode it does not drone. I've seen enough of these statements to believe it's true.
Gator Bite,
Yes, I do have the FVD Sport Muffler (Export) version on my 2009 Boxster S and it does not have any drone. I have driven lots of earlier Boxsters with many different aftermarket mufflers and have experienced lots of drone, but this one doesn't do it. It must be the difference between the Boxster and Cayman and the differences with the new DFI engines compared to the older M96/M97 engines. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
Beware, I heard the PSE does sound better (more like a Porsche should), but you gain no HP and they're expensive! Check this out as most good sport mufflers get you about +10HP. I have Fabspeeds and I can really tell the difference in mid to high end pull, and my city/highway mileage average is up over 1 MPG. Also see my previous comments on cabin drone. Just ordered a pair of Borla 4" SS tips which will get me better than an inch more extension than the shorter Fabspeed tips. We'll see if this further reduces my cabin drone problem.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Wow, this is surprising to me for I have the AP exhaust and have absolutely no drone... Was it installed correctly?

·
Premium Member
10,402 Posts
Funny how one persons drone is music to another. I had another Cayman PSE owner in my car for a long 5 hr round trip drive over the weekend.

When I recreated what I would call a drone condition, he didn't even notice it!

Everyone's tolerance is different and that may play a part in these inconsistent reports.

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
I use to have the "drone" with my AWE exhaust but after about 10k miles, it seems to have disappeared somewhere along the way. I attribute this to one of three things:
1) My driving habit changed to get rid of it (don't think so but maybe...)
2) Exhaust has been "broken" in (which I've heard of but never experienced until now)
3) Or I'm just going deaf... (more than likely :( )

-Moto

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Drone is the condition where under load you get a volume close to 100db inside the cabin. It sounds like a subwoofer in the trunk ;)
Some people like it, others dont.
I have the car fully Dynamated so travelling at 150km/h is as quiet as a cayenne. You can still hear the amazing sound of the engine, you dont have all the road noise.
I believe PSE would be a good compromise for sound.

I am selling my Agency exaust :)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts